IGNORED

Digitone

modey

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't done anything with it beyond this little clip:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfVLAWfj08T/?taken-by=treebrain

Currently spending time finishing up an (elaborately detailed) EP, but really excited to sit down with it soon. Hopefully.

House and techno is a dime a dozen around here, so I think it would be fun to play out a techno set with nothing but a Digitone.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone having issues outputting midi? neither my yarns or ableton recieves a jot of midi from the digitone, im at my wits end. there are no menu options settings left to try. 

my settings, as per the menu, 

port config

- out port function - MIDI

thru port func - MIDI

input from - midi

output to - midi

output ch - auto ch

param output - cc

encoder dest - int

trig key dest - in

mute dest - int

recieve notes - off

recieve cc/nprn - off.

ive tried running into all different channel outputs with a few different cables that i know are working. anything i might have missed?

You're connected via a MIDI cable, not USB, right?

If so then it might be in having the trigs/mutes/etc set to INT. I think it needs to be INT+EXT. I don't actually have a Digitone so I can't test but I know the Elektron menu decent enough that I thought it worth mentioning.

honestly i think its broken. there is absolutely nothing left to try. everything seems to be working from in the box, but there is no midi output on any channel. its no biggie though, i can go into town later and swap it back with Rubadub. this is the reason i buy most of my stuff brand new. 

Just saw your thread on elektronauts. You need to hold FUNC and push the encoders for channel select etc in order for the MIDI tracks to send notes, I think.

hmm, really? the manual says just press MIDI then T1, and it says at the side that you are editing MID1 in a box. function + encoders does nothing for me. 

if you mean FUNC + the track buttons (T1) , ive tried that. 

No, I meant function + encoder for channel select etc. You need to press the encoder for it to change from an X to the parameter (e.g. to select output channel). At least that's the way it works on the OT. I haven't tried on the DN yet.

Apologies if that's what you've done, but it still fucks with me to this day.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

another little jam, this time using only digitone sounds + modular as an FX send. 

really pining to have this thing pinging off all my modules as it plays, really frustrating not having midi out working. 

How you guys with these finding it?  Any issues or limitations that are getting to you? 

Thinking about getting one to compliment my op-1 or sell the OP1 for it as I mainly use the op for the fm synth but its far too limited synthesis wise, its just got other features that i really love and its great for sound design. I think they would compliment each other in the studio nice.

Hows it go for Gábor Lázár / Rian Treanor Mark fell-y kinda sound design?   Wanting to modulate the FM parameters with envelopes and to have certain parameters constantly evolve which im sure i can do with lfos, p-locks and the new seq randomiser thingo. 

Can you get synth sounds like EP this with relative ease? 

I have a old and broken monomachine which im pissed broke but looks like itll be a great replacement for very modern hifi fm and synth stuff. 

Is it the sound design beast its being sold to be? 
I gotta test one out

iirc Mark Fell did some stock presets for Digitone. It was mentioned on elektron site.

Ii don't have Digitone though i read on elektronauts it has some ratio detents/quantisations for instant musicality so it can spook off some FM nerds like Dave Noyze

It's beautiful. I've been mainly concentrating on sound design lately, it's very easy to come up with good sounds. I'm having a lot of fun making super expressive ambient sounds that are nice to play with a keyboard.

Yeah, the ratios are quantised to the most musical divisions, but there's also a detune setting which allows the operators to get out of that quantisation. I hadn't heard that EP before but it sounds like it'd be pretty easy to get that kind of sound design. I find it's useful to run it through an oscilloscope if you want to get precise, especially if you want square/saw waves beyond what can be produced by the harmonics setting.

It's a lot more hifi than the monomachine. It can still get into dirty territory though, especially with the per-sound and global overdrives.

Get one :P

i picked up the digitakt in a fire sale at rubadub, really loving this combo. the machinedrum left me cold on elektron for years, happy i gave them a shot again. 

Yeah I'm somewhat tempted to get the digitakt as well, just for more instant sample mangling than on the octatrack.. maybe I'll see what the future updates do in terms of new functionality..

Archived