IGNORED

how do you guys process sounds that you want to vanish quickly.

pcock

sort of microhouse/cut style of sample arrangement where you have tonnes of things starting and stopping almost immediately. . whenever i try and do it, the end of the sample always sounds completely out of place, i use fades and play around with fabfilter Pro-G(ate), really tiny precise reverbs, it never really sounds like it belongs in the mix. is there any particular technique you use to handle this?

Guest Chesney

Set up some sort of software sampler and set the polyphony to 1. So the previous sound gets cut immediately when a new sound is triggered. I don't use software samplers but pretty sure this will be easy to do.

I'd be thinking an MPC style setup thing, is this what you mean?

Set up some sort of software sampler and set the polyphony to 1. So the previous sound gets cut immediately when a new sound is triggered. I don't use software samplers but pretty sure this will be easy to do.

I'd be thinking an MPC style setup thing, is this what you mean?

i don't think this is what you meant but anyway...post-155-0-70111400-1520867751.png

or do you mean those kind of granular sounds?

also, after all the fx and reverbs and echoes and whatnot, you can render it and then cut it in your preferred audio editor or daw...

You might be [possibly!] looking for a transient shaper. There's a really good free one called Bittersweet, turn it to the 'bitter' side for 'shorter' sounds (increased transients) and towards 'sweet' for longer decayed sounds

bittersweet-v3-full.jpg

https://fluxhome.com/project/bittersweet-v3/

You might be [possibly!] looking for a transient shaper. There's a really good free one called Bittersweet, turn it to the 'bitter' side for 'shorter' sounds (increased transients) and towards 'sweet' for longer decayed sounds

bittersweet-v3-full.jpg

https://fluxhome.com/project/bittersweet-v3/

This seems like a cool plugin, thanks! Seems like a next level mixing tool for me, I hardly ever think beyond pan, eq, comp.

It got me thinking though - maybe what the OP wants is something like the reverse of a compressor - like a dynamics expander or whatsitscalled?

I'm not sure I 100% understand the question but I think you are referring to microsounds?

If so, then turning off anything that can possibly dither the short ms lengths is necessary, which include cutting lows as well as EQ boosting to accentuate certain frequencies in the mid-high ranges. Any reverb or anti-aliasing filters may have to be turned off completely. If you arentalking about a layer in the track in general, then its spending time playing around with the timing of the amplitude cut than a particular production technique; nothing really special or complex.

i spent a bit of time last night trying to find examples of how i want sharp transients to end but failed. im going to have a play around with that Flux software though, see if it can help me. 

If no sound processing can make it all sound as you want, then maybe you’d better fix the source?

Otherwise : careful volume automations might be exactly what your tune needs.

Ok, are you just referring to sliced samples with abrupt endings i.e., you cut up an amen break but the way you sliced the samples leaves the beginnings and endings sounding harsh?

Archived