IGNORED

Brian Eno - Music for Installations

fumi

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems ludicrously expensive now given that Ae are doing an 8CD/12LP set of previously unreleased music for cheaper than this smaller reissue box.

It's obscene. You basically get charged £300 for a book with a perspex cover (versus the same book with a just a standard cover.)

No extras. Nothing. Utter rip-off.

Plus he's been saying that it's the first time the installation music has ever been released. It's not. I don't know if he's forgotten or just an out-right lie. 65% of the material had been on CD for more than a decade.

yeah this is absurd

He's been a hack since around '82 tho

Agree that this is way overpriced...but he’s a hack? Because he makes ambient music? Not sure about that one.

The dude has U2 and Coldplay money, why is he charging so much for shit he cares about and actually wants people to experience? He's definitely far from a hack but he's also far from the starving artist days where he pushed boundaries instead of merchandise.

He's put out plenty of excellent music since '82 and has done some great production jobs too (Laid by James is one of my favourites).

Agree that this is way overpriced...but he’s a hack? Because he makes ambient music? Not sure about that one.

When did I say it was because he made ambient music?

no dude

ye mang

He's put out plenty of excellent music since '82 and has done some great production jobs too (Laid by James is one of my favourites).

Examples pls. James the indie band? ew

One of my fave Eno productions is:

(Possibly as it hits at just the right time of the film to make you go: "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin' hell")

Gotcha, I think the last thing I've really loved by him solo wise is On Land (which I'm guessing is your 'since 1982' reference). I did like his new thingy (Reflection), though it could be as I cheekily grabbed the whole thing as a 96kbps stream from Bleep and it ends up sounding like an unofficial Alva Noto Xerrox release !

i like his 70s & early 80s records more but there are loads of gems in the whole Eno catalogue : Thursday afternoon, Neroli, Compact Forest proposal, Reflection. 

Thursday afternoon might be one of my favorite Eno record, i love its quiet/relax feel, a very "light" album indeed. 

Apollo, The Pearl, Thursday Afternoon, Neroli, Shutov, Lightness, Civic Recovery Centre, are all good records for example. at the very least they elevate him from “hack” status which is absurd; even records of his that are mediocre imo (small craft, lux) are still not bad.

admittedly he’s put out a ton of shite and he’s something of a tosser but the man is a legend.

Discreet Music is a favourite of mine which never really gets a mention. I read somewhere that Bowie became addicted to it and for sometime played nothing else, and it was Discreet Music which inspired him to work with Eno to make Heroes and Low.

Definitely not a fan of his vocals though, my Spotify version of Another Green World has every vocal track culled from it. Makes a great instrumental EP : )

Examples pls. James the indie band? ew

Yes, it's a wonderful record, very strange atmosphere, incredibly subdued with a few euphoric moments. Gorgeous stuff. There's also a collaborative James / Eno album from the same sessions called Wah Wah which is mostly instrumental and has some wonderful odd moments on it, but then James were always a much stranger band than their singles let on. 

Otherwise... Apollo, The Pearl, Thursday Afternoon, The Shutov Assembly, My Squelchy Life (prefer this to Nerve Net, actually), Neroli, Lux and Reflection are all excellent. There are gems scattered about his other releases too.

Yeah the “hack” comment, just… no.

Honestly, I think all the theory Eno spews about music and art — which I _think_ I get the feeling from this thread I’m supposed to dislike? — has been quite good. There are plenty of musicians who talk a bunch of pretentious shit that just ends up sounding stupid. imo although Eno has made quite a “brand” out of being a sort of public intellectual, which I guess one could dislike… I actually find his theorizing and whatnot to be pretty thought-provoking! Certainly head and shoulders above anyone else working today with one toe or pinky still in pop.

Discreet Music is a favourite of mine which never really gets a mention. I read somewhere that Bowie became addicted to it and for sometime played nothing else, and it was Discreet Music which inspired him to work with Eno to make Heroes and Low.

I have fond memories of listening to Discreet Music, playing with cats, drinking wine, and being a general wanker at alco's place.

Yeah the “hack” comment, just… no.

Honestly, I think all the theory Eno spews about music and art — which I _think_ I get the feeling from this thread I’m supposed to dislike? — has been quite good. There are plenty of musicians who talk a bunch of pretentious shit that just ends up sounding stupid. imo although Eno has made quite a “brand” out of being a sort of public intellectual, which I guess one could dislike… I actually find his theorizing and whatnot to be pretty thought-provoking! Certainly head and shoulders above anyone else working today with one toe or pinky still in pop.

But if spiral says he is, it must be true.

:cerious:

Definitely not a fan of his vocals though, my Spotify version of Another Green World has every vocal track culled from it. Makes a great instrumental EP : )

The A side is still probably my favourite track by him.

The link to Low and Heroes makes sense as well, which are arguably Bowie's best work.  At least for me anyway.

I have fond memories of listening to Discreet Music, playing with cats, drinking wine, and being a general wanker at alco's place.

now i always think of this chill sesh whenever i listen to that album.

Got my cd boxset & i'm glad i bought it as there's this rare track (CAM ) on it, it's named here 'Five light paintings' ; it's a 20 minute piece, the missing link between On Land and Thursday Afternoon. I would have bought that boxet for that track alone. 

Archived