IGNORED

µ-Ziq - D Funk EP [AF015]

Lada Laika

soooooo i got the record in the mail and it came with these 'goodnight white pride' stickers, link from AF's facebook page below. however they really look like "goodnight *  white pride *" stickers. hoping this was just a really bad design mistake. 

34268760_1911084362235422_67366509596209

ok well thats a relief to know. i still think the stickers are a bit confusing but glad i didnt give money to some weird racist techno cult. anyway, the record is great. 

Definitely not a Nazi apologist or white supremacist but I couldn't help but cringe at this. I've always appreciated techno's ability to transcend most boundaries set up in society. To me, it's always been "fuck straight/gay/black/white/etc, let's go to Mars". Whatever. If you're gonna do it, pay attention to graphic design at least. That "WHITE PRIDE" is so prominent and provocative. You have to drill down so tightly to see 303 against 88.

Yes, this.  Haven't had any reason to pay much attention to how our beloved IDM/Braindance genre is quite free from any bigger grown up - issues such as politics / religion and whatever and really would like to keep it that way (apart from the fact that any devoted IDM fan should be a devoted Eurovision song contest fan). To me it's all about the music and hopefully will continue to be that way. There are so strong political connotations in genres such as Industrial/Noise, BM (both red and NSBM) that in some cases it takes most of the attention away from the music itself. When compared to those I've always liked how cheeky and twat "our" genre here is. Not necessarily saying we're just a happy group of carefree idiots, unaware of the problems in the real world, but only pointing out that the main focus is on the music itself.

And have to nod, one should be very cautious with all the symbols etc. There are people who don't have any idea for what in instance something like 1488 stands for.

Sorry for useless derailing. Everything that reads xxx catches my eye. :wang:

There's a big groundswell of anti fascist stuff connected to the German techno scene at the moment:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2018/may/28/berlin-techno-lovers-defeat-the-far-right-afd-protest

Can only be a good thing IMO. I know what you mean about those stickers though, when they fell out of my package I thought for a horrible moment that the label must be run by alt-right edgelords.

ok well thats a relief to know. i still think the stickers are a bit confusing but glad i didnt give money to some weird racist techno cult. anyway, the record is great. 

Yeah, it's not a great design, but they're definitely not white supremacists. They may want to stick to abstract textures for their designs...

As far as politics in braindance goes, I honestly don't mind since everything is so politicized right now. I'm fine with the fact that they're trying to make it explicit that they are against Nazis and that hate mongers shouldn't bother buying their records. The more ubiquitous electronic music becomes, the more of these fringe groups will be mixed in.

That "WHITE PRIDE" is so prominent and provocative. You have to drill down so tightly to see 303 against 88.

Yeah it’s clumsy and somewhat ambiguous. Bit off that the figure being electrocuted is black, alongside that text.

• 3 weeks later...

Our copy seemed to disappear in the mail but Sergio is taking good care of us (Anna has been chatting with you, thank you Sergio!). 

That's the second time this year I've had problems with records making it to me (the other time was a watmmer's casette he shipped me). I'm almost wondering if some of our stuff is going into the wrong post box or if someone has figured out how to unlock the "package" box. A few times we've had a key in our box that a large package was in there, only to open it and it was empty. 

Looking forward to hearing this though. 

• Rubin Farr changed the title to µ-Ziq - D Funk EP [AF015]

Archived