IGNORED

Snack Master music feedback thread

snack master

Welcome back

thanks!  i find WATMM to be a little difficult to just dive into, so i appreciate the sentiment

they're rad =)

i think hard snack's my fav

the gamelan one, i wish the gamelan sounds would come through to the foreground more, but it's nice

thanks for commenting :)  i think i know what you mean about moving the gamelan sounds into the foreground more, so i'll feel that out in finishing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bold melodies. Brave man.

Drums, bass and pad seem to be fighting for the same bit of spectrum in the part before 1:10. Later it clears up.

Lots of movement in the sounds. That's always good.

• 1 month later...

That's pretty nice stuff, drum groove is catchy and interesting, melody is pretty solid and good tones throughout. Nice flow to the track generally, I like it. 

Any critiques would be pretty slight....not sure the outro bit really /needs/ to be there...some sorta closing melodic turn would finish things off nicely perhaps? Not bad, just was hoping for a little more change to that main melody/bass combo. Speaking of the bass is maybe mixed a touch high? The mids are sorta too strong on it...getting pretty nitpicky here tho, it's a good track as is. That middle bit once the drums get in and then after with that new brighter synth sound, all well done, catchy, peak :)

That's pretty nice stuff, drum groove is catchy and interesting, melody is pretty solid and good tones throughout. Nice flow to the track generally, I like it. 

Any critiques would be pretty slight....not sure the outro bit really /needs/ to be there...some sorta closing melodic turn would finish things off nicely perhaps? Not bad, just was hoping for a little more change to that main melody/bass combo. Speaking of the bass is maybe mixed a touch high? The mids are sorta too strong on it...getting pretty nitpicky here tho, it's a good track as is. That middle bit once the drums get in and then after with that new brighter synth sound, all well done, catchy, peak :)

thank you for the feedback!  getting nitpicky is kinda what i was looking for :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this track I made. I don't think I made it with a genre in mind but perhaps it would be considered an IDM piece.

Links here:

https://song.link/gb/i/1450658740

i'm a little confused.  are you specifically asking for my thoughts on your track?  i'm not sure why you posted this in a thread devoted to reviewing my tracks..

that said, the track sounds fine, though it's not so interesting to me--it doesn't really seem like it goes anywhere.

• 1 month later...

Hey everybody,

I've got a couple different links for y'all today:

"River Rock" comes out of an ambient album I just stared recently and the acid workout is an early draft of something I'm developing for live performances.

River rock has a very dreamy introduction, the hypnotic arps threaten to get too repetitive but then the enveloping fizz of the pads washes across in a beautifully contrasting way. Really nice choice of chords. The white noise at the end evokes the ocean in a subtle way that could have been tacky but wasn’t.

Acid workout is a pounding behemoth and hard to sit still to, the dialogue you’ve sampled is pretty funny and evokes early rave drug madness. I prefer it when you let the snares loose for a bit of syncopation to offset the 4 on the floor pulsations. Since this is an early draft, how about some chord stabbage too?

Edited by webby
Edit: I typed too soon, these some good chord stabbage towards the end.

2 hours ago, webby said:

River rock has a very dreamy introduction, the hypnotic arps threaten to get too repetitive but then the enveloping fizz of the pads washes across in a beautifully contrasting way. Really nice choice of chords. The white noise at the end evokes the ocean in a subtle way that could have been tacky but wasn’t.

Acid workout is a pounding behemoth and hard to sit still to, the dialogue you’ve sampled is pretty funny and evokes early rave drug madness. I prefer it when you let the snares loose for a bit of syncopation to offset the 4 on the floor pulsations. Since this is an early draft, how about some chord stabbage too?

Thanks for the feedback!  Adding more chord stabs to the acid workout is definitely on my list of planned revisions ?

• 1 month later...

there's a lot of pretty cool stuff that happens in this jungle track. i feel like the main farty buffery-sounding grungy synth and the stringy synths that come in around 1:40 could both have a bigger thicker sound if they had some (a little) nice bass boost EQ. it sounds like they've got some high passing or just lots of bass cut to separate them from the low bass, and that's a pretty common thing to do, but imo there's plenty of room for that synth to have some (more) bass of its own and still not really interfere with the lower bass. i think it could give the whole track a bit of a bigger meatier sound and more weight.

but that's just my 2 cents and mixes are kind of a personalized thing so if it's how you like it then it is what it is, and the track itself is just fine anyway. i'd prob like to see a bit more stereo width too but again that's just my opinion. and too much would be bad. seems like a bit of a combo of some of the jazzy/dnb elements of early squarepusher with the synthwork of tuss, as kind of an inspiration here. not a bad combo..

• Like 2

thanks for posting, your feedback is right on regarding the high passing.  i probably go too far with it sometimes, so i'll try to be a little more subtle with it in the future thanks to you.  also, i haven't dipped my toe into the world of panning much, so it's probably time for me to do so ?

pretty straightforward dnb track here.  i've been working on taking my drum work to the next level while also trying to avoid compositional habits i sometimes fall into, and this is one of the first tracks to come out of it.  i hope y'all enjoy

• Like 2

although i wouldn't say this is done, i was eager to get it online, so this is kind of a rough sketch of what will come in the end.  it's a kind of an exploration of some melodies on top of break beats with some acid elements throughout.  ?

On 7/8/2019 at 7:36 PM, snack master said:

pretty straightforward dnb track here.  i've been working on taking my drum work to the next level while also trying to avoid compositional habits i sometimes fall into, and this is one of the first tracks to come out of it.  i hope y'all enjoy

it's rare i can make it through a dnb type track but this one is really good, enjoy thoroughly :)

• Like 1