IGNORED

Yo La Tengo - There's a Riot Going On

joshuatxuk

Metal has some longevity to it, but rock has gone the way of jazz as a piece of American history, it seems.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of Clear Channel loving ‘Mericans that still dedicate themselves to Bon Jovi and Journey though.

Couple decades before that and it was Frank Sinatra and Elvis. Radio is dominated with programming of past Top 40 hits.

I think Candiru has a point. The tricky thing about indie rock / college rock of the 80s and 90s is it's not something that can be packaged into a nice shameless nostalgic throwback (synthwave, neo psych) or some niche subculture like say rockabilly or swing music. We literally had post-punk revival almost 15 years ago - a return to a genre that itself was a coda to the death of another genre. 

You can endlessly recycle and rehash 20th century pop music with little consequence. You can keep drawing influences from experimental and left field music of the past (i.e. any remotely revivalist underground electronic music in 2018)... I think that's why new shoegaze bands get a pass. But there's absolutely no easy way to even try to do that with many of the scenes that shaped indie rock - hell unless a band is local or someone I know there's absolutely no desire for me to check out any 20 something year olds emulating classic indie rock. It's just so often redundant and needless. Very much a "I get it, I don't get it" kind of deal. I rather just listen to bands from 20-30+ years ago.

It seems arbitrary to excuse Yo La Tengo simply because they are still together but honestly if this was an album by kids my age or younger that sounds like Yo La Tengo I'd be hard pressed to check it out. 

Metal has some longevity to it, but rock has gone the way of jazz as a piece of American history, it seems.

You wouldn’t believe the amount of Clear Channel loving ‘Mericans that still dedicate themselves to Bon Jovi and Journey though.

Couple decades before that and it was Frank Sinatra 

triggered. in the wee small hours and songs for swinging lovers have more musical ideas crammed into them than all of "classic rock". nelson riddle is an extraordinary arranger

lol dr lopez I think you've taken the title as my personal fav contrarian on WATMM from past member awepittance 

anyway there was plenty of shclock within the traditional pop world along with classic American standards 

it's funny you mention Bon Jovi, my dad (born in '64) and I often talk about how regional classic rock was back in the FM radio and mixtape trading days - when he was in the USAF in the mid-80s he was in a jet shop with this community tape deck everyone shared and all of the airmen from NJ were talking up fucking Bon Jovi while he was like "fuck that, listen to this" *puts on Stevie Ray Vaughn*

he also mentioned there was this Doors tape that was perpetually being thrown in to everyone's eventual chagrin. over time they all started singing Weird Al-esque lyrics over it.

• 2 years later...

Archived