IGNORED

Sound's influence on brain chemistry

Polytrix

Yeah. My point is that after you calculate the average you have no way of going back to the original - i.e. if the average is 50, it may have been between 25 and 75 or 49 and 51. And in the case of the equal loudness contours: maybe the data shows that for bass frequencies, most people have similar perception; for mids some people hear them way better than others, etc.

I think though that if there were any significant differences, someone would have published a lot of articles about this.

yeah i feel ya, dunno if that data is out there though...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. My point is that after you calculate the average you have no way of going back to the original - i.e. if the average is 50, it may have been between 25 and 75 or 49 and 51. And in the case of the equal loudness contours: maybe the data shows that for bass frequencies, most people have similar perception; for mids some people hear them way better than others, etc.

I think though that if there were any significant differences, someone would have published a lot of articles about this.

If they have data to get the average, they must have the data to calculate the standard deviation. I think it should just be a measure of how much does the actual data differ from the calculated average, although the official definition seems to be more complex.

It's weird - usually in science if they measure something, they also give the margin of error. In the case of Fletcher-Munson, there's nothing like that I have seen, so I got curious.

So has anyone ever measure how much the curves differ person to person? Having a standard deviation would answer that question pretty well...

well i believe that to get an average measure one must have the difference measures, no?

Yeah. My point is that after you calculate the average you have no way of going back to the original

If they have data to get the average, they must have the data to calculate the standard deviation.

i feel like we're going around in circles lol :^D

snake-eats-own-tail.jpg

So has anyone ever measure how much the curves differ person to person

bell curves are nice SOMETIMES. People forget the bell curve is a curve too

done

Archived