IGNORED

REAPER

bendish

has reaper got a timestretch mode like lives beat stretch or cubases custom algo?

it's actually in the project settings menu under the name default pitch shift mode:

post-155-0-79398100-1522493653.png

post-155-0-79398100-1522493653_thumb.png

i do believe this is the same as time stretch, correct me if i'm wrong...

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

You can set the timestretch algorithm on a per-clip basis.

You can also use stretch markers to do more Ableton-style (although if we're going to be pedantic, Ableton lifted it from Sonic Foundry) complex warping.

EDIT: there are tools in SWS for transient detection to help automate this if you want to, but I've never needed it so I can't really give any advice.

Edited by RSP

You can set the timestretch algorithm on a per-clip basis.

yeah just select an item and press F2...

Or double click if you're not ELITE.

ahhh, i changed the double click on bottom half to split item and top half to sample editor... :) Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

got too many key commands rolling around in my head!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/REAPER-GALAXY-KEYBOARD-STICKERS-12X12/dp/B008CYNTG8/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_229_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PZKNH6Y94QA08HPYFHGR

616VXa6VkCL._SL1000_.jpg

post-155-0-65835900-1520453458.png

There's an excellent, free, fully customizable radial menu system that I forget the name of, it's great if you don't remember shortcuts well. I installed it a couple months ago but never really use it because I'm used to shortcuts for the usual stuff and don't really need advanced functions very often since my workflow is mostly otb.

There's an excellent, free, fully customizable radial menu system that I forget the name of, it's great if you don't remember shortcuts well. I installed it a couple months ago but never really use it because I'm used to shortcuts for the usual stuff and don't really need advanced functions very often since my workflow is mostly otb.

the lokasenna shit is awesome

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186637

I think if you use real instruments, vocals, external synths, etc... REAPER is perfect for what it does. Renoise and Max are  polar opposites, where they are both great for sample manipulation and sequencing. I dunno... I feel better off working with something that meets at both ends for the stuff I need to do (that isn't Bitwig).

I was kind of staying away from Ableton for the longest time because it uses granular techniques for pitch and speed stuff whereas I've always been used to old school Nyquist frequency problems and getting dirty when playing with the playback speeds. Live looks powerful but, like a poster mentioned in the Live 10 thread, they seem to always be targetting idiots who stumbled upon a midi controller.

However REAPER is a beautiful multitrack recorder and it should continue to develop on that strength. I feel like I'll continue to use it for live recording stuff because it's easy to set up.

Traditionally I have used Reaper for tracking and recording things and Live for mostly because of the controller scripting API, session view and live looping capabilities. I always felt Reaper has the "traditional DAW" thing handled much better than Live, but I have forgotten a lot of how Reaper works and what it could be used for because I do most of my stuff in Live nowadays.

Turns out there is a plugin thing for Reaper which emulates the session view now - http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/.

Edit: oh yeah and while the availability of different plugins and things is cool as hell, I am afraid that for me it will just make everything more complex because of the multitude of decisions available to build up my workflow. And also if I depend on some plugins a lot, who can ensure me that N years in the future that stuff will still be available and maintained so that I can open my old project and not be greeted by All Of The Errors And Nothing Works.

Edited by thawkins

Using Live to write/produce and Reaper to mix. Often using Numerology (standalone and VST) too. I suppose I rely way too much on Live’s macros (and the fact that you can simply dial in a custom range of values for modulation AND type-in the minimum and maximum values) to fully switch to another DAW. I wish I could do everything in one software though, I’ll happily go 100% Reaper whenever they offer similar features.

... Live looks powerful but, like a poster mentioned in the Live 10 thread, they seem to always be targetting idiots who stumbled upon a midi controller...

...if I depend on some plugins a lot, who can ensure me that N years in the future that stuff will still be available and maintained so that I can open my old project and not be greeted by All Of The Errors And Nothing Works...

Idiot-proofing - the most compelling argument for and against Live, besides the price, for me.

I like Reaper and along with Renoise it's been my only DAW for >10 years. But I tend to think/execute so much of my stuff in hardware that it's exceedingly rare for me to use more than one track at a time in it, and that's only when my trusty H1 doesn't cut the mustard. Which is at least partly because I'm strictly amateur/hobbyist. That said, I have been doing more (that is to say, any) editing in it this year so far, and I plan to get one of those Soundcraft multitracking mixers to replace both my ailing Mackie mixer and firewire interface, so I will probably end up learning more of its ins and outs (heh) in the near-ish future.

Reaper is the bomb; my use is distinctly amateurish and I mostly use it for multitracking with very occasional forays into VST synths but it does everything I want it to. I haven't used any other DAW so have nothing to compare it with but I'll be forever grateful to their business model, which let me get started making choons when I was super-skint and couldn't even stretch to a licence.

Using Live to write/produce and Reaper to mix. Often using Numerology (standalone and VST) too. I suppose I rely way too much on Live’s macros (and the fact that you can simply dial in a custom range of values for modulation AND type-in the minimum and maximum values) to fully switch to another DAW. I wish I could do everything in one software though, I’ll happily go 100% Reaper whenever they offer similar features.

Reaper has a really deep macro system and really deep parameter modulation, but maybe not as accessible when you need to make a quick change (last time I used Live was around v4 or v5 so I can't really compare).

Edited by RSP

Turns out there is a plugin thing for Reaper which emulates the session view now - http://www.helgoboss.org/projects/playtime/.

Ooh, I wasn't aware of this, thanks!

The license looks good, too.  At first I wasn't sure about "upgrades only through v1.x" but looking at the change log, it took them four and a half years just to get from 1.0 to 1.14 so suddenly that sounds like a good deal for $20.

Edited by RSP

You should dig in to the dynamic parameter modulation capabilities if you haven't yet.  You can essentially sidechain any mixer or plugin parameter.

This guy does a pretty good job of demonstrating it.

You should dig in to the dynamic parameter modulation capabilities if you haven't yet.  You can essentially sidechain any mixer or plugin parameter.

the modulation on his accent is hilarious lol

but yeah nice tutorial!

the modulation on his accent is hilarious lol

but yeah nice tutorial!

I also find his cadence kind of reminiscent of William Shatner sometimes, and that's fine with me.

I haven't needed it much lately, but this style of parameter modulation is one of my favorite things in Reaper.   Even things as simple as sidechaining the pan position or stereo width of a track, or ducking an aux send level, are a lot of fun.

Edited by RSP

I always ask questions that I immediately answer

for 50 euros with all the reapack and js stuff why did I ever get into Cubase

Kenny geoiaioias voice is awesome

Edited by bendish

Wow I stand corrected. You guys all just schooled me on REAPER.

Looks like there *is* enough there to work with to make up for its shortcomings. The pitch algorithm menu is exactly what I was looking for. I'll grab Redux and get that radial menu too.

lfo on any parameter

midi scale lock for the musical dullards among us

massive reaeq window

reapitch modulated is funnnn

todays finds

Edited by bendish

Subprojects (any clip on a timeline can actually be linked to an entire project that can be opened and edited in its own tab, with the changes rendered and reflected in the parent project any time you save it.

The action list and custom buttons

Basic video editing (including triggering clips from Playtime, which I'm pretty excited to try)

JS language

Megababy step sequencer

Walter

EDIT:

Automation items

clip-level effects chains

spectral editing directly on the timeline

Edited by RSP