IGNORED

Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy

Nebraska

It seems like female rappers are always hyper-sexualized in the mainstream. It's not Cardi or Nicki's fault per-say, but I just wonder if folks like Queen Latifa, Missy, Lady of Rage, etc. would make it in the current climate. Three 6 Mafia had Gangsta Boo as part of the group in the 90s, but I can't imagine a mainstream posse rap group doing that now. Could you see Migos having a female member that wasn't just there for sex appeal?

It just seems very skewed, and I'm kinda fucked up about it, like, why were the 90s more progressive about this than now? Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

check out last artful dodgr, one of my current favs. unique voice, delivery, and style, nice sparse production. no bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDQLb43Wnhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw7Uu2D0kEc

gifted gab is cool too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_oqZDyznjo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You probably need to consider the fact that Yaeji is foreign. Korea is tacky as fuck and their pop scene is way more 'toxic' than that of the US, so a track like Drink I'm Sippin On is pretty legit in a vacuum.

You probably need to consider the fact that Yaeji is foreign. Korea is tacky as fuck and their pop scene is way more 'toxic' than that of the US, so a track like Drink I'm Sippin On is pretty legit in a vacuum.

ehhh she was born in new york, went to college in the states and now lives in brooklyn.... i don't buy that

wtf is all this nonsense? i can see why she makes all those skkkrr and meewwwh noises cos the content of this music is brain mushing. actually making the stuff yourself must completely remove the ability to think and speak like a normal human being. kodak black was some guys name now her track is called bodak yellow? is that a dis? i don't know why i'm asking this questions cos i don't care about the answers. i used to have to listen to a bunch of this trap shit that my flatmate would play in my last house at parties etc. i would put up with it as all the 20 yr old art hoe girls would love it and dance like crazy. i really can't see the appeal tho even whilst crunk. hyper-generic gibberish over hi hats BASS BOOSTED some blasian banging on about nobody knows what even fucking shut up already. 

this songs gets me hype tho i will admit 

wtf is all this nonsense? i can see why she makes all those skkkrr and meewwwh noises cos the content of this music is brain mushing. actually making the stuff yourself must completely remove the ability to think and speak like a normal human being.

I guess I haven't been exposed to it as much but Cardi B's music seems alright? Like, par, pretty mainstream but OK? I don't really give a shit about the cultural analysis personally, I guess some people get old and grumpy toward pop culture but I'm becoming more indifferent and open to whatever. Anyway, where's the track with the line about pussy smelling like turtle tank? That sounds pretty funny lol

Also left off bad and boujee cracks me the fuck up every time.

it's all about maliibu miitch tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XzmrlxHDf8

she just needs to release more music

I can get behind this - Shirley Manson's face with 2Pac's flow. Beat is a little corny with that slinky piano but it's forgivable.

this shit is so fucking embarrassing. people only make music that sounds like this and music videos that look like this because that's "what's cool" right now. nothing inventive, clever, original in any way at all. it's quite simply made so other people can say "have you heard" or "oh nice"

i can't deal with this type of production. the second i heard those annoy rhythm sounds I immediately stop listening and begin saying bad words

yaeji is trill af famalam

wow this is sooooooooooo random!!

XD

what does trill mean

dunno what to make of this. I kind of like it =/

I guess I haven't been exposed to it as much but Cardi B's music seems alright? Like, par, pretty mainstream but OK? I don't really give a shit about the cultural analysis personally, I guess some people get old and grumpy toward pop culture but I'm becoming more indifferent and open to whatever. Anyway, where's the track with the line about pussy smelling like turtle tank? That sounds pretty funny lol

it's all about maliibu miitch tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XzmrlxHDf8

she just needs to release more music

I can get behind this - Shirley Manson's face with 2Pac's flow. Beat is a little corny with that slinky piano but it's forgivable.

skeletor putting out some shit ass trax these days. 

I'll take this over BrainYawnEra any day.

also dis

I ain't left off bad and boujee, y'all think I'm left off bad and boujee

you sayin' I'm left off bad and boujee?

https://youtu.be/Psn0fiNaHOw

omg. how did this bitch do this? so good. i'm lovin this. i thought i'd hate this record but i'm so fucking impressed its not funny. if my girl isn't stripping tonight, i'm going to a stripclub. this girl killed it. impressed- beyond.

ehhh she was born in new york, went to college in the states and now lives in brooklyn.... i don't buy that

yeah two words: art student

Saying she has a unique perspective is a stretch. Sure she moved around a bit between the states and ROK but that kind of nomad life (and I say this as a military brat who lived overseas) has become less and less impactful with social media and the internet. Being born in 1993 and living off/on overseas versus being born in 1983 or 1973 and being in the same situation is night and day. It's a bit arbitrary to place assumptions on someone's musical influence based on background: someone could of curated just as 'foreign' of a persective/taste in music by going online a lot as a white kid into k-pop from Minneapolis

Wtf is a cardi b anyway, should I bother listening? Looks like some gimmicky bullshit. Drink I'm sippin on is incredibly catchy, stop hating.

this shit is so fucking embarrassing. people only make music that sounds like this and music videos that look like this because that's "what's cool" right now. nothing inventive, clever, original in any way at all. it's quite simply made so other people can say "have you heard" or "oh nice" 

i can't deal with this type of production. the second i heard those annoy rhythm sounds I immediately stop listening and begin  saying bad words

yaeji is trill af famalam

Her delivery is ssssssooooooooooooooo laid back. As in she sounds beyond bored to even be there...which works for that Feel It Out track actually (undercurrents of 90s trip hop to it sort of, good feel mostly) but the Drink track was just a decent beat and the producer made the chorus sound good, literally thousands of rappers could've made that track more interesting than she did (of course, she may be producing it herself, I have no idea).

And yeah, the trap type beats are played out but watching it evolve is sorta interesting because what dr lopez says is mostly true, yet the tracks are evolving in ways, if very slowly (and it's really the producers causing the evolution vs the rappers, at least that's how it seems to me).

https://youtu.be/Psn0fiNaHOw

omg. how did this bitch do this? so good. i'm lovin this. i thought i'd hate this record but i'm so fucking impressed its not funny. if my girl isn't stripping tonight, i'm going to a stripclub. this girl killed it. impressed- beyond.

lol

welcome to rap from 5 years ago.

EDIT: ALSO WAS YAEJI DROPPING THE N WORD IN THE DRINK TRACK? WTF? (caps for false rage but really, wtf?)

edit2: not shitting on your likes Nebraska if you're seriously into it then cool, but really, there's a SHIT TON of rap from the last ~5 years in this style and comparable quality...some much much better. And obviously at least slightly more original.

Archived