IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Sesh 3 sounds like a completely different entity on earphones, it almost takes on a new form. That's been the case for all of these. With MAX Ae are doing very strange things with music to make one listen sound alien to the next.

Yeah 3 is having the classic aeffect© on me. Found a lot of the tracks inscrutable and now they're slowly showing themselves to me after a few listens.

Today glos ceramic clicked hard and I started to make progress with nineFLY and clustro casual. Loving it!

glos ceramic is so badass, especially after the 4 minute mark.

Entire thing just takes such a drastic turn into something really special all the way through to the end.

Great stuff.

=D

I kind of clicked with splesh last night, and I've been digging it more and more throughout the day. But fLh hit me earlier today while I was cooking, that track is so crazy good, I'm crushin on it pretty hard.

=P

Edited by Hk47

I was on board with fLh from first listen.

Herr Jan and I were discussing in chat during the stream how it resembled trout mask replica era Beefheart. When they have two guitars playing slightly differing phrases parallel to each other, dancing around each other.

for all the peeps having trouble with the sound of the NTS sessions on headphones, i highly recommend getting a listening app that has a crossfeed feature.

The best app i've found so far (for iOS) is "CanOpener". it has made a HUGE difference in the sound quality of these tracks for me on headphones. that flat, brittle quality is gone. everything opens up spatially and the sounds have much more weight & presence. all the tracks that use to annoy me now got me like :music:

unfortuantely, the CanOpener app is abandonware since it is no longer being developed but it still runs flawlessly on my iphone iOS 9. your mileage may vary but hey it's a free app so nothing to lose. Another option is the app "Neutron" which has a million options but the crossfeed feature itself is not as tweakable as the one in CanOpener.

Edited by digit

Buddies, the more I listen to session 3, the more I start to fear it's my favorite.

I'm sorry only for e1g1: it's one of the most poetic moments of AE_LIVE, and every time we hear it, it appears in a different version (like guitar arpeggio in krakow, as sweet growing up in Dublin, or  Utrecht), and I have always dreamed of having a definitive version, which explores all the possibilities of that melody, in a single act ... unfortunately in e1g1 it appears only in a basic, essential form, for other cqualized with frequencies at the limit of the bearable. Too bad: I hope that in session 4, e1g1 come back, showing all that bull balls.

i cant wait to hear what the next non-session, non-live release will sound like, cause im not feeling this release as much as id like, as much as i normally do. somethings wrong...

also, the well known narative side of ae is missing here. majority of tracks sound like they pressed record button while prototyping

i think i'm going to spend a lot of time shuffling through NTS 1-4

AE_LIVE + elseq 1-5 on shuffle was great go-to play list

combining all 3 will be 22 hours

this bleepstore sure has worked out well. the catalog is one of the coolest things in music history

lol at everyone EQing brand new Autechre tracks

1e3e72a5ea5eb3807279fc4d583da295.jpg

yes i'm sure a band that got started making cut up cassette mixes of other people's songs would disapprove of any hands on approach to their music

multiple people have commented that the tracks sound flat or are lacking bass. never had that reaction to an autechre release myself before nor did i read it. maybe there's something to it? like they can do no wrong? they're human.

Edited by lastrushup10

for all the peeps having trouble with the sound of the NTS sessions on headphones, i highly recommend getting a listening app that has a crossfeed feature.

The best app i've found so far (for iOS) is "CanOpener". it has made a HUGE difference in the sound quality of these tracks for me on headphones. that flat, brittle quality is gone. everything opens up spatially and the sounds have much more weight & presence. all the tracks that use to annoy me now got me like :music:

I don't understand your terminology because when I use a crossfeed (still on my old Sandisk Sansa + Rockbox) it is to flatten the extreme stereo image and emulate the loudspeaker situation. Weight and presence (and character?!) are not terms in my audio world. Do you use golden cables for better sound?

I always use crossfeed when on headphones but I rarely listen on headphones... On Android, I guess Poweramp offers crossfeed, maybe fb2k for Android as well.

multiple people have commented that the tracks sound flat or are lacking bass. never had that reaction to an autechre release myself before nor did i read it.

*cough*untilted*cough*

cough(2) Oberman Knocks Remix

EDIT: Wanted to put this quote and comment into above posting. I am too stupid for this forum software, copy/paste a quote into an edit window does not work.

Edited by Guest

What you all on about dissing the sound quality of new Ae. It's crisp as fuck and insane stereo imaging. It breathes. Don't mind the less low-end, it's still there, at least when I am on headphones with my DAP (that might have some bass-boostEQ going on, granted). 

S'all good.

multiple people have commented that the tracks sound flat or are lacking bass. never had that reaction to an autechre release myself before nor did i read it.

*cough*untilted*cough*

hmm ... i'm fine with untilted but i can see what you mean.

aenyway, bass boosts for this release it is, i guess

cough(2) Oberman Knocks Remix

Real talk though, I remember when this first came out I said I wished they did more shit like this. I sure got my wish granted.

I think with their old stuff, there's more modes of listening available. You can be kind of absentminded about it, or you can hone in and it still works. With the new stuff, it's like free jazz, you really have to be dialed into it to get the full effect. But if you are, boy are you rewarded for the effort.

lol at everyone EQing brand new Autechre tracks

1e3e72a5ea5eb3807279fc4d583da295.jpg

Lol hahaha.

I have to say tho, at first I agreed with the comment about the lack of bass. But then I realized the bass of my speakers was turned to zero.

Well session 3 opened to me a bit more after I had that figured out tbh