IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Yeah, they've stated that they use hardware controllers with Max (at least live) but nothing outside of Max was (is?) making or effecting the sounds. We've got some samples popping up now though so...we'll see what they say.

What cat sound ? I'm currently giving session 1 another listen and didn't notice that !

But I noticed how beautiful the tiny synth chords were at the end of the track... Really really beautiful, I love that kind of stuff. t1a1 = new favorite ?

I forget the exact time, it's mentioned ITT or the Session 1 thread probably....like ~2:30 minutes? I think it's mostly panned to one channel, it's pretty buried but it's there. Fun little inclusion :) But yes! I really do love that track all around, it doesn't feel like 20 minutes at all, it sounds and feels so deep and huge but all very much moving and changing yet simple....it's a great way to start the sessions off. Outstanding track.

We've got some samples popping up now though so...we'll see what they say.

The samples aren't just popping up now though, they've been with us the whole time. Exai has voices, breaks and snares. Levent has rain sounds. AE_Live has a snare ripped from some other Ae track (wish I could remember where right now, someone help me out here). Elseq has breaks. OneSix has breaks and drum sounds. And thats just the obvious sampley samples that I can think of right now. They've always had samplers going on. In one of the ancient leaked Max patches there's a "sampler" that just mangles shit and sort of makes clouds of trippy background sounds. Probably the majority of their sampling isn't immediately recognizable as such.

I agree, we don't *know* what they're using here, but its pretty safe to say Max I think.

And yeah t1a1 is killer, a perfect track to begin with. Love the funky hats that start...somewhere?..near the end maybe. Worm music. Are the cats samples? sounds like synthesis to me maybe.

Edited by monoppus

Actually there is no cat sound in t1a1 imo. It is just  sideband made with that fluctuated freq modulation. Also that 'rudeboi vocal' in dummy casual sounds artifical to me. Btw it is pretty funny because of that 'vocal'.

There is really no reason for them to use any hardware synths anymore because they can simply program a Max patch that does the same as the synth. but yeah, we can't be sure

Max can be really boring sometimes (as most software) and it can sound monotonous if you mess with it for week or month for example.

Also i'm sure there are tons of hardware in their late period. Tracks i suspect to utilize their Oversteps tour Nord Modular G2 patches: runrepik, tuinorizn, gonk tuf hi, spaces how V

Edited by telefunken

Are there any ideas, what hardware / software they used for the sessions? Without knowing much about the technological side of electronic music, my first guess was modular system...

xHuKOms.gif

The samples aren't just popping up now though, they've been with us the whole time. Exai has voices, breaks and snares. Levent has rain sounds. AE_Live has a snare ripped from some other Ae track (wish I could remember where right now, someone help me out here). Elseq has breaks. OneSix has breaks and drum sounds. And thats just the obvious sampley samples that I can think of right now. They've always had samplers going on. In one of the ancient leaked Max patches there's a "sampler" that just mangles shit and sort of makes clouds of trippy background sounds. Probably the majority of their sampling isn't immediately recognizable as such.

I didn't specify what was counting as their Max-only stuff so maybe it's my fault for assuming everyone understood that was only AE_LIVE/onesix/elseq. They'd used Max to varying degrees for years before, really utilized it in the more 'current' ways around Oversteps and then used it for much/most of Exai...my impression from AAA and the RA interview was that on Exai they were still using some amount of other things (hardware, samples, etc.) but AE_LIVE/onesix/elseq was entirely Max and nothing else at all. My memory is notoriously shit so if someone has them saying otherwise please do point it out specifically.

Your talking about 'breaks' and even drum sounds is pretty vague though. Replicating drum sounds is pretty damned simple for even a non-geek like me. Noise+osc+filter or two+reverb, five minutes, boom. I'm not saying I can replicate the sound of the snare from the amen break exactly by any means, but just generally replicating vaguely realistic drum sounds from scratch is honestly pretty easy. 

And y'all saying the cat sound may not actually be a cat are of course correct. I'm not going to go full on wave analysis here. It does sound like a fucking cat tho.

Actually there is no cat sound in t1a1 imo. It is just  sideband made with that fluctuated freq modulation. Also that 'rudeboi vocal' in dummy casual sounds artifical to me. Btw it is pretty funny because of that 'vocal'.

There is really no reason for them to use any hardware synths anymore because they can simply program a Max patch that does the same as the synth. but yeah, we can't be sure

Max can be really boring sometimes (as most software) and it can sound monotonous if you mess with it for week or month for example.

Also i'm sure there are tons of hardware in their late period. Tracks i suspect to utilize their Oversteps tour Nord Modular G2 patches: runrepik, tuinorizn, gonk tuf hi, spaces how V

Doubt the vocal in dummy casual is fake if for no reason other than the iPhone ringtone everyone hears in there too. 

They were definitely using hardware on Oversteps tour, and like I said ^ I think some of that bled into parts of Exai.

Then again...if we're talking about Nord Modular patches, are we really talking about hardware?  :cerious:  :cerious:  :cerious:  :cerious:  :cerious:  :cerious: 

I know it seems otherwise guys and gals but I'm really not all in for speculating about shit like this, because it's honestly just a passing a thought to me that I'll be curious to learn when they do give some information about it eventually...but I'd much rather just listen to the choons. Sparingly, of course. For now :)

g 1 e 1 echos the end of AE_LIVE Brussels and Dublin from 2014. Has to be the same patch.

AE_LIVE, elseq, and NTS are all connected in this way, because this isn't the first time I've noticed this. I truly believe they've found their niche at this point.

my impression from AAA and the RA interview was that on Exai they were still using some amount of other things (hardware, samples, etc.) but AE_LIVE/onesix/elseq was entirely Max and nothing else at all. 

they still use hardware. they did for onesix, coz sean said in a radio interview in 2016 that its a bit of "both hardware and software, but mainly computers". i think the hardware that they do use is just controllers/and using max as a kind of hub for everythign else. the sound design will be done in max. also some parts of elseq are from 2011, so it all bleeds into one really. fuck ae_live might be from 2012/13 or whatever

my impression from AAA and the RA interview was that on Exai they were still using some amount of other things (hardware, samples, etc.) but AE_LIVE/onesix/elseq was entirely Max and nothing else at all. 

they still use hardware. they did for onesix, coz sean said in a radio interview in 2016 that its a bit of "both hardware and software, but mainly computers". i think the hardware that they do use is just controllers/and using max as a kind of hub for everythign else. the sound design will be done in max. also some parts of elseq are from 2011, so it all bleeds into one really. fuck ae_live might be from 2012/13 or whatever

Yeah, they've stated that they use hardware controllers with Max (at least live) but nothing outside of Max was (is?) making or effecting the sounds.

What parts of elseq are from 2011?

It does sound like a fucking cat tho.

I believe they also have previous form when it comes to sampling cats.

yeah Tewe

We don't actually have confirmation that it's just Max/MSP of course

I am wondering if there will be some kind of WATMM mass suicide if Jim and Bob admit they have used Fruity Loops/FL Studio all the time. Plus all the kiddoez VSTs like Sylenth etc. Or sampling? Or Richard Devine presets? WAT DO? What if RDJ makes music with other things than sandpaper?

All this would give me serious... considerations...

Yeah, they've stated that they use hardware controllers with Max (at least live) but nothing outside of Max was (is?) making or effecting the sounds.

What parts of elseq are from 2011?

acdwn2 is the only one i know of

I agree, we don't *know* what they're using here, but its pretty safe to say Max I think.

And yeah t1a1 is killer, a perfect track to begin with. Love the funky hats that start...somewhere?..near the end maybe. Worm music. Are the cats samples? sounds like synthesis to me maybe.

Tho I think that they can digitally produce something that sounds like a drum or like a distorted voice or like a cat meowing. I remember one of the Autechres say that it's possible to digitally produce singing without anyone noticing the difference to actual singing. And they are obsessed with simulating sounds and manipulating them. I can't imagine them walking around with a microphone for some reason

got a theory about the lack of bass, this is thinking AHEAD here - but i reckon they are acclimatizing us to low bass levels so that with the NEXT release theyre gunna crank up the bass back to thundering levels so that it feels bassier, and we'll be like wtf susan and boyle lads what u DOING

there's tons of great low end in ninefly and icari.  sounds awesome in the studio. 

whatever is going on in ninefly i like it. it's weirdly stretchy sounding and spectral.  fucking great weirdness.