my impression from AAA and the RA interview was that on Exai they were still using some amount of other things (hardware, samples, etc.) but AE_LIVE/onesix/elseq was entirely Max and nothing else at all. 

they still use hardware. they did for onesix, coz sean said in a radio interview in 2016 that its a bit of "both hardware and software, but mainly computers". i think the hardware that they do use is just controllers/and using max as a kind of hub for everythign else. the sound design will be done in max. also some parts of elseq are from 2011, so it all bleeds into one really. fuck ae_live might be from 2012/13 or whatever

my impression from AAA and the RA interview was that on Exai they were still using some amount of other things (hardware, samples, etc.) but AE_LIVE/onesix/elseq was entirely Max and nothing else at all. 

they still use hardware. they did for onesix, coz sean said in a radio interview in 2016 that its a bit of "both hardware and software, but mainly computers". i think the hardware that they do use is just controllers/and using max as a kind of hub for everythign else. the sound design will be done in max. also some parts of elseq are from 2011, so it all bleeds into one really. fuck ae_live might be from 2012/13 or whatever

Yeah, they've stated that they use hardware controllers with Max (at least live) but nothing outside of Max was (is?) making or effecting the sounds.

What parts of elseq are from 2011?

It does sound like a fucking cat tho.

I believe they also have previous form when it comes to sampling cats.

yeah Tewe

We don't actually have confirmation that it's just Max/MSP of course

I am wondering if there will be some kind of WATMM mass suicide if Jim and Bob admit they have used Fruity Loops/FL Studio all the time. Plus all the kiddoez VSTs like Sylenth etc. Or sampling? Or Richard Devine presets? WAT DO? What if RDJ makes music with other things than sandpaper?

All this would give me serious... considerations...

lmoa very serius considerations if using RD presets yes. 

Yeah, they've stated that they use hardware controllers with Max (at least live) but nothing outside of Max was (is?) making or effecting the sounds.

What parts of elseq are from 2011?

acdwn2 is the only one i know of

lol

ok

but how do you know that acdwn2 is from 2011?

We've got some samples popping up now though so...we'll see what they say.

The samples aren't just popping up now though, they've been with us the whole time. Exai has voices, breaks and snares. Levent has rain sounds. AE_Live has a snare ripped from some other Ae track (wish I could remember where right now, someone help me out here). Elseq has breaks. OneSix has breaks and drum sounds. And thats just the obvious sampley samples that I can think of right now. They've always had samplers going on. In one of the ancient leaked Max patches there's a "sampler" that just mangles shit and sort of makes clouds of trippy background sounds. Probably the majority of their sampling isn't immediately recognizable as such.

I agree, we don't *know* what they're using here, but its pretty safe to say Max I think.

And yeah t1a1 is killer, a perfect track to begin with. Love the funky hats that start...somewhere?..near the end maybe. Worm music. Are the cats samples? sounds like synthesis to me maybe.

Tho I think that they can digitally produce something that sounds like a drum or like a distorted voice or like a cat meowing. I remember one of the Autechres say that it's possible to digitally produce singing without anyone noticing the difference to actual singing. And they are obsessed with simulating sounds and manipulating them. I can't imagine them walking around with a microphone for some reason

Rob in the AAA literally said M39 Diffain was made from a field recording of him walking around in the rain. Was it Berlin he said?

Technique, method, equipment etc. can be interesting.

Edited by monoppus

got a theory about the lack of bass, this is thinking AHEAD here - but i reckon they are acclimatizing us to low bass levels so that with the NEXT release theyre gunna crank up the bass back to thundering levels so that it feels bassier, and we'll be like wtf susan and boyle lads what u DOING

this thread was way more fun when the main subject was gonk...

there's tons of great low end in ninefly and icari.  sounds awesome in the studio. 

whatever is going on in ninefly i like it. it's weirdly stretchy sounding and spectral.  fucking great weirdness. 

yes, nineFLY was also one of my instant favourites. those overtones and weird rhythms

this thread was way more fun when the main subject was gonk...

Plenty of gonk to go around!

vw70KSC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

gonk750gjut8.png

that's the spirit jason !  :beer:

yes, nineFLY was also one of my instant favourites. those overtones and weird rhythms

i heardit at work first and couldn't focus on it.. but when i got home i listened in the studio and there's some amazing structure in there.. and those pitter patter rhythms going on.. everything kind of constantly morphs. i appreciate all the open loose structures in all these tracks.  having listened to lot's of really long jazz tracks from miles davis (big fun, panthallassa, etc) over the years i find it immediately makes sense for them to do this kind of thing and really just play w/all the ideas.

icari is epic to me. 

Rob in the AAA literally said M39 Diffain was made from a field recording of him walking around in the rain. Was it Berlin he said?

Not AAA, the quietus

http://thequietus.com/articles/13899-autechre-interview-exai-l-event

'M39 Diffain'

RB: "It took a while to make that track, 'cause it was made up of disparate elements. It was less of the machine-building and a lot of found sounds, a lot of field recordings going into it – rain, New York, bits of city life, bits of weather, direct recordings of rain on certain objects mic'd-up - things like that. Oddly enough, I remember walking into town with it on my headphones, demoing it to see where it's going next. As it happened, I was on my way to an Untold gig. None of my friends could make it, and I basically got pissed and listened to Untold on my own and it was brilliant, even though I was this kind of sad dickhead at the back of the club with some Red Stripe having a great time and being all ears. I totally remember walking in the rain with it on headphones to a gig. It was just the best night, because I got to check this track out in the rain, [and] it was recorded using bits of rain… I went for a long, late-night walk listening to a nearly-finished version, went home and put the final touches to it, and then it was done. I think it's a good one for depth and scapes, just listening on headphones and being isolated with a weather pattern nearby."

Its time for a new ae interview

If they did another long interview now like the Elseq RA one from 2 years ago I would be so happy

NTS has more bass-heavy tracks than anything they've done. 

My theory is that everyone complaining about the bass just has shitty speakers.  :nyan:  :nyan:  :nyan:  :nyan: 

Untold?  band?  

If they did another long interview now like the Elseq RA one from 2 years ago I would be so happy

Yup

Yup

they should do a podcast session in 4 parts over 4 weeks. what's his name from hafler trio could do the interviews.  andrew mckenzie?