Theory: g 1 e 1 is intended to be played at a quiet volume.

I've played it in several modalities (car, small speakers. main stereo rig, headphones) and it always has passages that buzz/distort on the speakers when you blast it. This was bugging me, so I found the volume level where this never happens. And POP, the track gets (even more) magical. I believe they designed it intentionally to be played at low volume. In addition to the speaker overload, the variances in volume flatten out at lower volume, and it is super quiet in sections to begin with with the faux fade outs. The main melody or whatever just has a more mysterious quality when it sounds distant and less in your face.

Give it a try.

I am only just getting to properly listen to S3, listening g1e1 loud I found it took on huge room filling holographic properties.

Then I nodded off towards the end.

Then nineFLY kicked in :o

Sesh 3 sounds like a completely different entity on earphones, it almost takes on a new form. That's been the case for all of these. With MAX Ae are doing very strange things with music to make one listen sound alien to the next.

I have found that hugely with all 3 so far.

Also don't get the dislike on Splesh, it's a propa banga.

and some are just plain stupid (bqbqbq).

(...) and some are just plain stupid (fLh).

You're both insane and quite, quite wromg

Also, they've always been about a 'limited' sound palette. Not unlike SND. If you want to make things complicated, you have to keep the foundations relatively simple.

I say 'limited' because it's really not, once you start hearing it on a subatomic level.

QFT... ... Yo...

=P

I love both these tracks immensely (if my previous posts didn't already make clear)... And the range of sounds is frick'n incredible.

Various tracks would fit very nicely alongside tracks from just about every single album from their past. I don't know how that is being considered a limited sound palette.

<shrug>

Idea: set playback speed to 50% and now you have 16 hours of new autechre.

Thanks! Finally found a way to listen to the whole set while driving to @work, will set playback speed to 48x
Hmmmmm. tt1pd at 33. Hmmmmm.

Later.

Edited by EXTRASUPER81

9 chr0 reminds me of Osla for n: strange, industrial noises that fall into a groovy rhythm as the track progresses

Time is out of joint my love

still hoping that AE + EL-P collab is gonna happen some day

AE / Danny Brown would kill it.

Sesh 3 sounds like a completely different entity on earphones, it almost takes on a new form. That's been the case for all of these. With MAX Ae are doing very strange things with music to make one listen sound alien to the next.

I have found that hugely with all 3 so far.

Also don't get the dislike on Splesh, it's a propa banga.

there's a lot buried in there and at times a submerged (my favorite word lately) beat comes in and brings the whole track together. 

It occurred to me today that elyc9 7hres is a rehydrated osla for n

elyc9 7hres is the wettest song I've ever heard tbh

In love with Sessions 1 & 3 right now. Could be due to them being first and most recent respectively, but they seem to have an edge in one way or another.

And to think we're getting another installment the day after tomorrow. :psyduck:

no they’re leagues above season 2 which is for the common pleb

Who here mentioned splesh as a possible LFO (Mark Bell) tribute track? Because while it didn't occur to me at first, I hear the resemblance now.

ive noticed that all sessions so far are all 5-7 seconds short of 2 full hours

and i was promised *at least* 2 full hours, dagnabbit!

if this happens with session 4 as well, then i am entitled to an extra 20 second track

how DARE they hold back so much music, goshdarnit!

urrrrkkkkkkk!

waat? it's true and you know it

Who here mentioned splesh as a possible LFO (Mark Bell) tribute track?

me ;)

sounds a lot like late period LFO.

also just figured its 9 minutes - remembered it more like 4, but thats not how they roll atm, hehe

Whatever you're using to play back the tracks clearly aint frame accurate:

foobar.png

Whatever you're using to play back the tracks clearly aint frame accurate:

foobar.png

Yeah, all of mine say 2 hours exactly.

All collected, foobar says 6:00:00.001

no they’re leagues above season 2 which is for the common pleb

rly?

*plebs*

To me elyc9 7hres sounds like a version of elyc6 0nset. Those wet sounding noises and bleeps are very similar, also the name

To my ears elyc9 sounds like Autechre

What really gives it away is when I play it in iTunes, under artist is says Autechre

Rob & Sean are the Aubrey & Maturin of their day. Consistently excellent, prolific, rich in comedy and adventure, complex hardware, hypersensitivity to new lifeforms and environs. I suspect Patrick O'Brian would have been a big fan, I bet he had ep7 on rotation when he died.

Edited by Roo

To my ears elyc9 sounds like Autechre

What really gives it away is when I play it in iTunes, under artist is says Autechre

FLMAO.

=P

I still haven't managed to get my head around the NTS. In general, it's a mixed bag: some tracks are stellar and easily among the best the boiz have ever done (l3 ctrl, north spiral, xlood, violvoic, e0, tt1pd), some are dull and meander without a purpose (9 chrO) and some are just plain stupid (bqbqbq).

What really bugs me though, is the apparent limited sound palette they use: we are able to hear bits from most of their recent releases: pads from Oversteps, beats & farts from: AE_LIVE or elsex etc. So I wonder, if Max/MSP offers unlimited possibilities, why are they using the same building blocks? Or is it due to their patches? No matter what is the input, the modifications (casuals, elycs, gonks) turn them into similar outcomes? Who knows?!

Anyways, stoked for Thursday!

Yeah, this is by far the most uneven release by them for me. I thought NTS2 was solid but I also haven't gone back to it much. There are some stunning tracks, and others I wish were significantly shorter or just not there at all. I would expect this from a quad-quad-quadruple album, I guess.

Interesting, I’ve honestly found these three sessions to be among their most consistent and well flowing releases yet. Sure, there is some filler, but nothing that I would consider to be uninteresting or poor quality material, which is pretty stunning for 6 hours of music. Seems that they’re in a good position to keep it up for the entire 8 hours.

We've gone from, about a month ago, "Been a while, insane and roomba are due for a new release, or maybe some of those extra soundboards" to "We've accumulated 6 hours of new material with another 2 to drop in a couple of days." Anyone dreaming that up as a potential outcome before all this would have been branded a mad man.

Still wrapping my noggin around the lack of promo. The idea of this being received with Avicii levels of fervour* is obviously a non-starter, but between this and OPN's new LP being ever so quietly tossed out on to the street, it's either a new marketing policy adopted by Warp to calm the spends, or indicative of a wider phenomenon across music promotion in general that the campaigns of old just aren't viable any more.

Please forgive the comparison, I don't pay attention to Western pop charts enough to give a more contemporary artist as an example.

thiking about it like that it's almost some bit of subversion to get people to pay attention on their own as the "good shit is happening and you aren't going to find out about it unless you look for yourself"

or something. not gonan fight for air time in the hype machine.. just gonna put it out and if you're not looking in that general direction oh well. "cool people will know about it"

but really.. NTS residency and some tweets and and go around the web on those channels and poof! here we are. not like it's a secret w/all kinds of people shitting themselves and reposting about "is it thursday yet?". this whole thing churning over a month too. 

To all those resisting the supremacy of NTS 2. It's inevitable. Relax and enjoy it.