IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Only started listening but wow, column thirteen was gorgeous and so far shimripl casual would make a perfect cyberpunk soundtrack. Of course I just played >observer_ over the past few days so ambient cyberpunk is fresh on the brain. 

Have yet to start on the longest AE track aside from perlence subrange

I'm not sure how, but end all is a sickeningly depressing track. It's like the sound of the world ending or something.

to me the only depressing thing about it is that it's probably the least inspired thing they ever released. ever.

(sorry, luv u ae :( )

Melve tho?

i fucking adore melve and the whole of lp5. it is one if not the fav of mine. the very least you can say about melve, even if you don't dig it, is that it was fresh (as in: not sampled from another track) and it has more than 1 notes (yeah a chord is technically more than one note, bite me).

While I wouldn't say that all end has any particular musical variety, there's certainly more than just the one chord. All throughout the track you have a slow, deep, rumbling bassline and higher treble melodies that fizzle in and out of existence right at the fringe of the track. It's certainly more than just one chord, although granted it's not much more than that.

yeah there sure are some intricacies to it and i do get the idea behind minimalism. actually i enjoyed pretty much all their tracks with a rather minimalistic approach so far like perlence subrange, eastre, TBM... fuck pendulu casual is maybe my fav track off elseq. this one... yeah it's not even a bad ambient track in itself. nothing particularly special but it sure does have impact and well... it's a nice chord lol. obviously it features some interesting emotional ambiguity. but: it's still literally just the ending of an older track stretched out period. i have a hard time getting over that fact i don't feel very good about it myself but yeah, that's just how it is atm. the hv moda reprise on 1 at least had a new twist to it and it wasn't a freaking hour long. it's just disappointing as an "end all" to me. if this was academia i guess there could be points made about them deconstructing themselves as bladelores was some kinda emo hit off exia etc. ... but yeah whatevs.

hearing 4 from beginning with cans. frane is pretty fucking cool.

@jaderpansen: Man, I've learned with Ae how not to be too critical and just listen. If a piece strikes me emotionally, that's awesome; if not, I'll leave it for a later day.

that seems sound indeed :). will do!

lol @ watmm and retiring meme cos last track is called the end

^

edit: someone add another tombstone (rip ae) next to the gonk one...

Edited by jaderpansen

Again, why is the mix so quiet? They can very well keep a high dynamic range while having their tracks at reasonable loudness, so why is NTS4 so damn quiet? It's a bit annoying when shuffling with tracks from the other NTasses or elseqs

Tracks 1 & 2 seem quiet (peaking at -5 and -8 db respectively), but 3-5 all hit 0db

I'm not sure how, but end all is a sickeningly depressing track. It's like the sound of the world ending or something.

to me the only depressing thing about it is that it's probably the least inspired thing they ever released. ever.

Melve tho?

i fucking adore melve and the whole of lp5. it is one if not the fav of mine. the very least you can say about melve, even if you don't dig it, is that it was fresh (as in: not sampled from another track) and it has more than 1 notes (yeah a chord is technically more than one note, bite me).

While I wouldn't say that all end has any particular musical variety, there's certainly more than just the one chord. All throughout the track you have a slow, deep, rumbling bassline and higher treble melodies that fizzle in and out of existence right at the fringe of the track. It's certainly more than just one chord, although granted it's not much more than that.

yeah there sure are some intricacies to it and i do get the idea behind minimalism. actually i enjoyed pretty much all their tracks with a rather minimalistic approach so far like perlence subrange, eastre, TBM... fuck pendulu casual is maybe my fav track off elseq. this one... yeah it's not even a bad ambient track in itself. nothing particularly special but it sure does have impact and well... it's a nice chord lol. obviously it features some interesting emotional ambiguity. but: it's still literally just the ending of an older track stretched out period. i have a hard time getting over that fact i don't feel very good about it myself but yeah, that's just how it is atm. the hv moda reprise on 1 at least had a new twist to it and it wasn't a freaking hour long. it's just disappointing as an "end all" to me. if this was academia i guess there could be points made about them deconstructing themselves as bladelores was some kinda emo hit off exia etc. ... but yeah whatevs.

But now imagine yourself hearing these whole 8 hrs as one chunk. And now imagine it's only 7 hrs, only that the last chord of the last bit of the last hour is stretched over another hour. I think that's pretty cool

Again, why is the mix so quiet? They can very well keep a high dynamic range while having their tracks at reasonable loudness, so why is NTS4 so damn quiet? It's a bit annoying when shuffling with tracks from the other NTasses or elseqs

Tracks 1 & 2 seem quiet, but 3-5 all hit 0db

Yes, it hits 0db but only rarely, even the louder parts are relatively quiet but in the end this isn't a real issue. Maybe their reasons will unfold for me in the future

Melve tho?

But now imagine yourself hearing these whole 8 hrs as one chunk. And now imagine it's only 7 hrs, only that the last chord of the last bit of the last hour is stretched over another hour. I think that's pretty cool

yeah will definitely give the whole thing a spin in one go next opportunity (weekend). there might be interesting dynamics hidden there fo sho.

___

mirrage into column just now was very nice... VERY fucking nice.

Melve tho?

Basically if I was still theoretically young and still theoretically traveling to the moon every now and then (alas, those days are behind me), I'd start t1a1 when peaking, making all end the perfect comedown music.

I dunno. I didn't know what to think at first, but so far I like it. I doubt I'd listen to it all as active music, but in the background when working on stuff, this is lush. I really like subtle minimalism--in technojargon--the chord changes and the granular synthesis/timestretching bringing out little harmonic subcomponents that come and go--in poetic jargon, it's hypnagogic and dreamy.

But I'm the kind of person who will listen to japanese minimalist releases of like two beating sine waves, so by that kind of minimalist standard, this is busy af.

Melve tho?

"although granted it's not much more than that." that's just not true. There is that drone-chord sitting on top of everything, but there is much more happening than just that. the track has few a distinct phases with different melodies playing slightly beneath the drone, accompanied by that tim hecker'ish bassy thing.

i'm totally in love with this track. it sounds so incredibly rich and saturated with beauty and all the good stuff. it actually sounds like a giant black marble ball that is poured with an everflowing stream of honey. not really sure, why i'm so emotional right now lol

hearing "dat onesix track" (casual shrimp) in full glory sure is a treat, pretty fucking amazing actually.

not really sure, why i'm so emotional right now lol

they sure hit the nail with that track title didn't they? XD

Oh dear. How could I have got this so badly wrong?

Wait, I know... I should never have listened to the live stream on low quality speakers in the first place. I didn’t listen live to 1 and 2.

The truth is, all end is magnificent! A majestic behemoth of a thing with sub-bass to die for, a subtle, rolling melody and far more nuance than could ever be apparent on that stream. I’ll be falling asleep (or into a trance) to this many many times in the future.

Oh, and column thirteen is one of the single most beautiful Ae tracks I’ve ever heard.

Edited by Jamesqdot

Crap - what an amazing end to an amazing collection of music!!!

Ahhh!!!

Alright... time to start everything from the beginning... 

working on some translation work, looks like the 8 hours will have quite the soundtrack. 

=D

I'm really glad they ended it like they did.

Ahhh!!!

working on some translation work, looks like the 8 hours will have quite the soundtrack. 

=D

Translation work is not the topic to be discussed here. Follow the rules. I demand a little more discipline.

Ahhh!!!

=D

Translation work is not the topic to be discussed here. Follow the rules. I demand a little more discipline.

<mouth zipped shut>

Sorry... I drink - I break rules...

<disconnecting>

Edited by Hk47