IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

I usually don't think of Ambient music as discrete/distinct categorization but rather something that can be incorporated in endless varying degrees. You can have a track that's a little ambient or super ambient or anywhere in between

Calling Xylin Room ambient is obviously ridiculous because there are strong clear beats that I immediately engage with as a listener which makes it feel very non-ambient. But the parts where the beats break apart and it's more chaotic, while not exactly ambient do seem to color outside the lines in a way akin to ambient music - foregoing conventional structure in favor of more chaotic freeform sounds

My imperfect litmus test for whether something qualifies as ambient is, could I fall asleep while listening to it? In that sense I would definitely call all of NTS 4 ambient. Again it's a mix, it's not like something is either totally ambient or not at all, and with Autechre they're never fully one thing or another. But like I wouldn't hesitate to call column thirteen ambient

Taken as a whole, I find myself playing with the volume dial a lot when listening to NTS, but I don't mean to highlight that as a negative. I believe it to be an entirely intentional facet of this large body of work, and a sobering alternative to the loudness wars of these modern times.

yeah same here.

when elseq came out stephan mathieu claimed the mastering was unlistenably loud. one could definitely not make that claim here.

idk what kind of “mastering” process was employed here but overall i think this release really breathes more, has a kind of “organic” production feel. perhaps the fluctuating volume has helped me to be more engaged in the listening as well, idk

Tbh I kinda hate the idea of playing with the volume dial while listening to any music, just for me personally. If you makes the quiet parts louder or the loud parts quieter then you're effectively reducing the dynamic range of the music. It feels like overriding a creative decision, even if just very minimally and I'd rather hear the music exactly as intended. If that means that it's harder to hear the finest details in some quiet parts then so be it.

But I'm fucking neurotic about this stuff, I don't fault others for doing their own thing. It's personal preference

idk what kind of “mastering” process was employed here but overall i think this release really breathes more, has a kind of “organic” production feel. perhaps the fluctuating volume has helped me to be more engaged in the listening as well, idk

EDIT: yeah this^ is a good way of putting it, I like how much drastic dynamic variation there is in these sessions, makes me want to listen more intently Edited by jetski

... overall i think this release really breathes more ...

+1 on that.

lots of elseq is so tight it's almost suffocating, weirdly claustrophobic despite loads of reverb, tho i feel that kinda helps it define a very distinct vibe, appreciate it. but the dynamics on NTS certainly are refreshing.

having a great time listening back through it. the scale of the work is quite something. plenty of thrills along the way too.

had a funny moment towards the end of sesh 2, my bluetooth started playing up and the track was cutting in and out irregularly, with a weird rhythm. of course...i'd forgot this wasn't supposed to be part of the tune, listened to it for far too long not to be slightly embarrassed. way to go ae, you've got me listening to tech fuckups and thinking it's music.

i was more thinking of something like Ayahuasca

or maybe special K or something of the same family
Y'all with ur fancy chemicals whatever happened to good old fashioned acid

yeah whats wrong with soem acid? and too long? a standard trip where you're feeling the full effects is about hmmmm 8 hours in length :emotawesomepm9:

had another listen last night… yeah session 4 really is best at the night time, lest it is for me. having the wavs really helped open it up. i also had it on while doing mindless farming in dark souls, wouldnt say background music, cos my attention was just about all on th emusic and yeah, it's really starting to open up to me now. not that i had any issues with it before, but like a lot of autechre upon first listen its ab it overwhelming and i'm not able to really take it all in. i enjoy having listens sometimes where i'm not ultra focused on it and rather than searching through the music for things i let it come to me. gonna listen again in full while in a car today. and tomorrow all 4 in one go. can't waet.

except mirrage and all end it's not really that ambient tho is it? at least in the traditional sense of the word...

Conversely to my ears I would say NTS4 is that ambient (in the traditional sense of the word)
After giving all end the full loud headphones run through I'm not sure I could call it ambient either. No beats but it's pretty full on and intense.

I wasn't keen on it at first but there's something undeniably interesting about it.

except mirrage and all end it's not really that ambient tho is it? at least in the traditional sense of the word...

Conversely to my ears I would say NTS4 is that ambient (in the traditional sense of the word)
After giving all end the full loud headphones run through I'm not sure I could call it ambient either. No beats but it's pretty full on and intense.

I wasn't keen on it at first but there's something undeniably interesting about it.

i agree. more like drone. 

No beats but it's pretty full on and intense.

frane and column do feature beats as clear as day imo. and shrimp still has quite an obvious pulse going on despite the lack of actual percussion (might be me filling the blanks in my head tho since i heard the onesix version a gazillion times). anyway even a lack of beat still doesn't make an ambient track but apparently everyone got his / her own definition of the term so i'm hereby stopping to bother.

Edited by jaderpansen

From reading what gets posted about other tracks here I've deduced I don't listen nearly as loud as some of you, but yeah, all end feels like it wants to saturate your auditory system, not threshold of hearing type stuff.

I love shrimpl casual at first sight, and maybe this track is the onesix soundboard they are giving us, like maybe there will be no onesix sndbd (cries)

I love shrimpl casual at first sight, and maybe this track is the onesix soundboard they are giving us, like maybe there will be no onesix sndbd (cries)

yeah i'm afraid i drew similar conclusions... BUT: then again there is c16 deep tread on elseq despite being featured on every iteration of AE_LIVE before, so all hope is not lost!

yeah i'm afraid i drew similar conclusions... BUT: then again there is c16 deep tread on elseq despite being featured on every iteration of AE_LIVE before, so all hope is not lost!

Yes !

I like hope

The pope smokes good hope

japanese minimalist releases of like two beating sine waves

got any suggestions? I'm big into Ryoji Ikeda, but what else is out there?

Ryoji Ikeda is great but I was thinking of Sachiko M's releases, some of which pretty much do sound basically like having tinnitus and make Ikeda sound like a maximalist by comparison

so strange: I'm listening to "all end" on my earphones right now for the first time and the underlying melody that fascinated me yesterday (while playing the whole thing on my speakers) is gone. totally gone. not a trace. it's just not there. now i'm curious if I'll be able to hear it later at home.

I feel like all 4 sessions are better on speakers, tracks I thought I didn’t like were transformed for the better

I keep seeing ppl refer to it as "shrimpl" Lolol it is "shimripl" as in "shimmering ripple." For a few days I was reading it as "shrimpl" too for w/e reason lol

Even though I know it's spelled differently (shimmer reverb perhaps?) It'll always be 'shrimpley air' to me...