IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Well, I've almost completed my full listen of NTS. I've about 20 minutes left of all end, which I assume is pretty much the same as the preceding 40. (Primarily only listen to musix in the car these days)

Can't wait to start the NTS cycle all over again from the beginning. These sessions will keep me well occupied for the rest of 2018. However, I think there's new Dr. Octagon now, which I should probably check out at some point. But obviously it's been completely eclipsed by Ae this past month.

And new Sleep!

Talking about hour long tracks...

There's sort of a spiraling outward happening with the 4 sessions, 1 being consistent and strong but not too wild, then 2 introducing a bit more weirdness, 3 sorta going off the deep end in what ideas they're letting out, with 4 being like an open and freeform sprawling run, almost like the victory/contemplation of all of it that came before. Almost following the classic narrative arc of intro, problem, ramping up with more problems, to a climax (glos ceramic-ninFLY?) with the comedown and resolution afterwards.

Or something. I'm assigning things that aren't directly there of course, but the steadiness of Session 1 (listening to it now: gonk steady one, in fact) compared to 2 then 3, then the bottom dropping out with 4 made me think of that.

Have to agree that all end is so good while in motion, listened to session 4 in a car, and when that track came on my friend who was driving just started taking turns and driving completely out of the way from our destination just to keep in motion, we were passing by fields and old forests and trees and buildings. the track is just time itself. it was vast and just put us both into a deep meditative state. we spoke after it ended and both admited we had deep thoughts conemplating our own lives and our occupancy in the place of the universe. watching cars move and people pass around you and watching life move forward and backwards it was an incredible moment. we were both completely sober but yet it was certainly a mind altering experience. we both have enjoyed drone tracks in the past and have gone to many noise and drone performances but that may be the best drone track i've ever heard. and to call it simply a drone track seems inadequate.
The next day at another friends house we listened to session 1-4 back to back on an amazing sound system my friend had put together over the years in his living room. the only thing lacking was a subwoofer that was powerful enough to fully push some of the bass. the clarity in the mids and highs were amazing and it wa slike experienceing it again for the first time in many ways. yes the sound design is ae at their very best i've heard. we ate two meals in the span of the album and sampled some scotch. coming down with all end at the last hour was amazing. we both laid back and close dour eyes. my friend said he got vast sand dunes and canyons from it, which i thought was spot on. i also was getting these types of images, as well as a huge dark ocean or sea. waves crashing and again, the vast expansiveness of space and time. a huge undertaking listening to all 8 hours back to back on quite a high volume (-16db on his reciever) its hard to really comment on things in particular at this point. so much to digest. interesting to note that his two dogs while active and wanting to play during the first 3 sessions both had a lie down and fell asleep for the duration of session 4.

weirdly it made me listen to Untilted again , stil my fav. ae

Not weird at all! :) I was doing the exact same thing and Untilted was hitting me in all the right ways and I was loving it, even moreso than before. Crazy stuff

i am completely addicted to glos ceramic.

i feel the arguably sparser approach in terms of sound design on these sessions (and to a lesser extent elseq) really conveys a prim kind of elegance. same for the lack of straight up "tunefulness" in comparison to exai, which was quite "riffy". every sound is so polished and pristine, the transparency only helps to dignify the love that went into them.

also the way they use the stereo field is something that's completely missing on old releases. if you turn these tracks up appropriately on speakers they completely occupy the space you're in instead of only getting louder, making you feel like you're right at the center of it all instead of only getting a wider shot through a window. this was also most apparent during onesix live experience bordering on spatial audio illiusions.

very happy with these. still very hard for me to directly compare to elseq, tho. the latter to me basically is just one big ass album seperated into little suites. the sessions however... i really don't know yet about a bigger picture.

interesting to note that his two dogs while active and wanting to play during the first 3 sessions both had a lie down and fell asleep for the duration of session 4.

NTS 01: j9r9o.gif

NTS 02: j9r9o.gif

NTS 03: j9r9o.gif

NTS 04: j9r9o.gif

Edited by alchemical

Autechre neither make casual music, nor do they make music casually

pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17691-autechre-exai/amp/

Is it possible to be more wrong?

Haha, wonder if naming the tracks casual was trolling this review

:emotawesomepm9:

Warp should definitely should to SD card releases a la Raster Noton

Totally, nice to have something physical until the box sets land. 

:emotawesomepm9:

I'm way off the pace as usual

Today, I relistened tracks from NTS3 that I didn't enjoy at first. Being home alone and listening them loud on a quality soundsystem helped some of them to open up for me: Splesh made a splash and glos ceramic gonked me hard, Icari felt like subdued Oversteps - beautiful stuff! Some are still falling short though: shimripl air lacks depth and nineFLY is too long - would prefer threeFLY at most...

Haven't heard sesh 4 yet.

Of the first 3 though I think 3 is my fav atm, the most varied. Still think that almost all the sessions tracks are a bit too long but that's just personal taste I guess? Only listened twice through 1-3, maybe more will catch my attention through more listens.

I anticipate probably doing the same thing I did with else-q, making a best of.

So far:
t1a1
l3 ctrl
north spiral
32a reflected
xflood
gonk tuf hi
clustro casual
splesh

oops - also nineFLY

Also, noticed g 1 e 1 is straight off utrecht just stripped down (sure that was mentioned already 100x). Very much prefer the AE live one, meatier.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Listening to gonk steady one from NTS 1 again, the track title is starting to make sense. Because that rhythmic low drone sweep actually resembles the sound the Gonk Droid from Star Wars makes, but with a slightly higher pitch.