IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

People know what they like, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Right, not saying anyone should or shouldn't do whatever the hell they want. Autechre themselves are very pro-cut up/mod tunes/etc. I've done it before, sampled, made versions of tracks, playlists of favorites, all of that, I just give it some time before I start fucking with it.

edit: that's sorta my main point with the 'rant' I guess: it seems like people's first reactions are "hm, didn't like this the first time I heard it, guess it would be better if I did this or that or if the kick drum was better lol ae can't make the kick drum sound how I want it" when (again, IMO) the reaction should be "weird kick drum/track, but I generally think this artist is doing well otherwise so maybe I need to reassess this track later, try and hear it how they intended rather than how I want it to sound" - very much still old man ranting at the sky here tho guys. IMHO 

PURE OPINION:

I'm just a bit irked by the quickness with which everyone wants to dissect/modify/analyze the stuff. Listening to a track at half speed is something you do once you've been sitting with it for months, years, and are trying to see it again in a new way. Cutting it down or making a playlist of your favorites is something you do after you've tried everything else, or after you've again been with it for a bit. This shit just came out, fucking live with it as it is for a little while, eh? If November rolls around and you still think turbile epic casual is too long, well okay, make an edit, or make a playlist without it. Cool, okay. Shit just came out three weeks ago though...amidst 8 hours of other music. Give it some time people, fuck. Let the shit sink in. Session fucking 4 came out literally 8 days ago.

This just isn't just me being an AE fanboy in regards to this either, I take that idea towards pretty much any good music. Again, all opinion of course, more angry old guy rant than anything.

well one thing is certain: these sessions keep on giving and giving. i have quite literally listened to nothing else since they've been out (except own shit and some assorted other chre to mix it up a bit) and i discover shitloads of new details every. single. time. ... how they amassed this much quality material over the course of 2 years is just beyond me. (sure, some tunes might have been in the vault for longer and some stuff is derived from the live set, but still...)

that being said: manipulating these tracks in certain ways might seem cheap and pointless but c'mon, it's just some harmless discovery fun, calling it downright stupid or lacking respect is a bit disproportionately disdainful imo. one could be similarly dismissive of listening to a record being scratched as "it's like reading a page then turning one back just to read the same page again, silly!"... dunno.

I didn't call it stupid or say it lacked respect (can't speak for the other joking about it ITT by others), I was just stating my personal opinion, really more how I do things and find it odd how differently others approach it. Seems a bit weird to me for various reasons, but as I said, I was mostly just ranting.

yeah soz i didn't want to adress you directly / exclusivey, twas just your post which inspired my first paragraph back there hence the quote.

that's sorta my main point with the 'rant' I guess: it seems like people's first reactions are "hm, didn't like this the first time I heard it, guess it would be better if I did this or that or if the kick drum was better lol ae can't make the kick drum sound how I want it" when (again, IMO) the reaction should be "weird kick drum/track, but I generally think this artist is doing well otherwise so maybe I need to reassess this track later, try and hear it how they intended rather than how I want it to sound" - very much still old man ranting at the sky here tho guys. IMHO 

Are we still talking about the slowed down versions? If so, I didn't intend to make it sound better. It just is the whole thing slowed down so you can follow the fast parts better and have a closer look at the microstructures out of curiousity. Obviously Autechre's music is best enjoyed just as it it without any changes, I think most people will agree there.

You got a point tho about giving this whole thing time to sink in before (over-)analyzing it. Maybe it would have been more appropriate to upload a slowed down Exai

People know what they like, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Right, not saying anyone should or shouldn't do whatever the hell they want. Autechre themselves are very pro-cut up/mod tunes/etc. I've done it before, sampled, made versions of tracks, playlists of favorites, all of that, I just give it some time before I start fucking with it.

PURE OPINION:

I'm just a bit irked by the quickness with which everyone wants to dissect/modify/analyze the stuff. Listening to a track at half speed is something you do once you've been sitting with it for months, years, and are trying to see it again in a new way. Cutting it down or making a playlist of your favorites is something you do after you've tried everything else, or after you've again been with it for a bit. This shit just came out, fucking live with it as it is for a little while, eh? If November rolls around and you still think turbile epic casual is too long, well okay, make an edit, or make a playlist without it. Cool, okay. Shit just came out three weeks ago though...amidst 8 hours of other music. Give it some time people, fuck. Let the shit sink in. Session fucking 4 came out literally 8 days ago.

This just isn't just me being an AE fanboy in regards to this either, I take that idea towards pretty much any good music. Again, all opinion of course, more angry old guy rant than anything.

well one thing is certain: these sessions keep on giving and giving. i have quite literally listened to nothing else since they've been out (except own shit and some assorted other chre to mix it up a bit) and i discover shitloads of new details every. single. time. ... how they amassed this much quality material over the course of 2 years is just beyond me. (sure, some tunes might have been in the vault for longer and some stuff is derived from the live set, but still...)

that being said: manipulating these tracks in certain ways might seem cheap and pointless but c'mon, it's just some harmless discovery fun, calling it downright stupid or lacking respect is a bit disproportionately disdainful imo. one could be similarly dismissive of listening to a record being scratched as "it's like reading a page then turning one back just to read the same page again, silly!"... dunno.

I didn't call it stupid or say it lacked respect (can't speak for the other joking about it ITT by others), I was just stating my personal opinion, really more how I do things and find it odd how differently others approach it. Seems a bit weird to me for various reasons, but as I said, I was mostly just ranting.

I agree with auxien. It just shows lack of respect. Are you doing the same thing with other kinds of music? How often do you say „oh a great rock song but shitty lyrics, I will write my own!’. Do you do the same stuff with paintings? ‚Great picture but lacks some green shades, will paint them over’.

The music we have is a complete piece of art. I really doubt that Ae would put out a record with mastering they dont like. If you dont enjoy it, it’s ok, nothing’s wrong with it. Just stick to tracks you fancy and others may grow on you with time.

well, the point i was trying to make earlier with my (admittedly rather lacking) scratching analogy: if it wasn't for the occasional dissing of original artistic intent there wouldn't be any hip hop as we know it and thus probably no ae to begin with either. also ironically especially on NTS that "let's paint it over"-thing is what they did themselves with quite a few tracks (elyc6/9, bladelores/all end). i mean it's not like slowing down shit somehow alters all copies of the audio worldwide, destroying the original art or anything. it's just taking one going "what if?" for shits n giggles.

Edited by jaderpansen

Don't worry its just the come down after 4 weeks of new Ae!

Seriously did feel a bit weird yesterday not having another 2 hours! Is strange how I got used to and just started thinking of Thursday as new Ae day!

Think this fucker will keep giving for some time though so don't panic guys and just keep listening to Ae (at whatever speed you like!)

Edited by kirm

apparently still unable to grasp the issue, probably too tarded after all. sorry for insulting everyone's intelligence.

can't remember there being such an uproar when these were hip: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/50677-autechre-in-stereo-difference/

yeah slowing shit down to an arbitrary speed is trivial and pointless to 99,9% of mankind but there is actually life beyond EKT spheres and just why even fucking bother...

i immediately understood the length of elseq songs. it seems natural with the 2 laptop generative set-up. i think you would have to end up composing songs that jam out a bit. i always considered that we're lucky as fuck to get shit like that, and that sean and bob saw that the correct thing to do was to let the people hear it. i never found them overlong.

i dropped NTS and elseq (minus all end) into a playlist and put it on shuffle today. it's basically jesus

Yup!

apparently still unable to grasp the issue, probably too tarded after all. sorry for insulting everyone's intelligence.

can't remember there being such an uproar when these were hip: https://forum.watmm.com/topic/50677-autechre-in-stereo-difference/

yeah slowing shit down to an arbitrary speed is trivial and pointless to 99,9% of mankind but there is actually life beyond EKT spheres and just why even fucking bother...

yeah I was gonna mention Futureimage's obsessive stereo difference videos earlier tbh, as contrast. They were actually interesting.

Darreich's vids scream attention seeking.

Are you aware he also uploaded some Freeform tracks to his youtube claiming it was this release?

When called out on it he claimed he was 'hacking the truth'

I agree with auxien. It just shows lack of respect. Are you doing the same thing with other kinds of music? How often do you say „oh a great rock song but shitty lyrics, I will write my own!’. Do you do the same stuff with paintings? ‚Great picture but lacks some green shades, will paint them over’.

The music we have is a complete piece of art. I really doubt that Ae would put out a record with mastering they dont like. If you dont enjoy it, it’s ok, nothing’s wrong with it. Just stick to tracks you fancy and others may grow on you with time.

I agree with the general sentiment there but also don't think it's disrespectful or even really akin to painting over the Mona Lisa or whatever...not comparable. I do agree Ae or any major artists usually should be given the benefit of the doubt that what they're presenting is correct to their vision. It's a bit silly to me for someone to hear it twice and say 'yeah, this eq isn't what I like' and think it's better, but also, idc? People gonna do whatever.

yeah soz i didn't want to adress you directly / exclusivey, twas just your post which inspired my first paragraph back there hence the quote.

Okay, I should've realized there with the separation between paragraphs.

that's sorta my main point with the 'rant' I guess: it seems like people's first reactions are "hm, didn't like this the first time I heard it, guess it would be better if I did this or that or if the kick drum was better lol ae can't make the kick drum sound how I want it" when (again, IMO) the reaction should be "weird kick drum/track, but I generally think this artist is doing well otherwise so maybe I need to reassess this track later, try and hear it how they intended rather than how I want it to sound" - very much still old man ranting at the sky here tho guys. IMHO

Are we still talking about the slowed down versions? If so, I didn't intend to make it sound better. It just is the whole thing slowed down so you can follow the fast parts better and have a closer look at the microstructures out of curiousity. Obviously Autechre's music is best enjoyed just as it it without any changes, I think most people will agree there.

You got a point tho about giving this whole thing time to sink in before (over-)analyzing it. Maybe it would have been more appropriate to upload a slowed down Exai

well, the point i was trying to make earlier with my (admittedly rather lacking) scratching analogy: if it wasn't for the occasional dissing of original artistic intent there wouldn't be any hip hop as we know it and thus probably no ae to begin with either. also ironically especially on NTS that "let's paint it over"-thing is what they did themselves with quite a few tracks (elyc6/9, bladelores/all end). i mean it's not like slowing down shit somehow alters all copies of the audio worldwide, destroying the original art or anything. it's just taking one going "what if?" for shits n giggles.

Yeah I pretty much take that tack as well. Only thing that irks me is the quickness/implication that someone is 'fixing' a thing because it's 'wrong' which is pretty silly. But even then, as I've admitted multiple times, it's just me being a grumpy old pisser more than anything.

what is even going on in this thread rn

:trashbear:

PEOPLE ON ARTIST SPECIFIC SUBFORUMS STATING VAGUELY RELEVANT OPINIONS > ONLINE > HAVING OPINIONS > NO! > ?? [trash]

Don't worry its just the come down after 4 weeks of new Ae!

Seriously did feel a bit weird yesterday not having another 2 hours! Is strange how I got used to and just started thinking of Thursday as new Ae day!

Think this fucker will keep giving for some time though so don't panic guys and just keep listening to Ae (at whatever speed you like!)

for serious tho

No uproar here? Just chatting.

I wasn't specifically, fully? I dunno. Vaguely. Seeing the pitched down thing just seems more of a 'let's do this months down the road' sort of thing is my only (totally whiny) gripe. You're basically agreeing with that idea tho, I mean, it's a fuckton of music is my thing. Let it exist as it is for a while, at least. Or don't, that's cool too. Doesn't really matter, doesn't hurt anything ultimately does it? Hence just me blabbing some vague thoughts and pissing everyone off. It's what I do well, you're welcome everyone. :)

yeah I was gonna mention Futureimage's obsessive stereo difference videos earlier tbh, as contrast. They were actually interesting.

Are you aware he also uploaded some Freeform tracks to his youtube claiming it was this release?

Yeah, it actually was fun to see the offense you and Herr Jan took from that

I wasn't specifically, fully? I dunno. Vaguely. Seeing the pitched down thing just seems more of a 'let's do this months down the road' sort of thing is my only (totally whiny) gripe. You're basically agreeing with that idea tho, I mean, it's a fuckton of music is my thing. Let it exist as it is for a while, at least. Or don't, that's cool too. Doesn't really matter, doesn't hurt anything ultimately does it? Hence just me blabbing some vague thoughts and pissing everyone off. It's what I do well, you're welcome everyone. :)

Actually you aren't pissing anyone off as far as I can see, but yeah, agree :)

It is one hell of a release

Thank you, auxien!!!

=D

A little off topic... But I think the NTS Sessions have given me a different perspective on EP7... (I mean, these Sessions have basically had that effect on all of their previous albums for me, but EP7 is the standout)

I've always liked it, but it's really hitting me hard after all this new material.

=X

Yeah, it actually was fun to see the offense you and Herr Jan took from that

n8umjWj.png

Thank you, auxien!!!

=D

A little off topic... But I think the NTS Sessions have given me a different perspective on EP7... (I mean, these Sessions have basically had that effect on all of their previous albums for me, but EP7 is the standout)

I've always liked it, but it's really hitting me hard after all this new material.

=X

Any time :)

I've barely touched any older AE since NTS came out, save for a few remixes or single tracks here and there. Heard lots of older albums' DNA in the NTS Sessions though for sure, I imagine there'll be a lot of people having that same reaction you're having. 

I think it's fair to assume that the pitchers, the (too soon) playlisters and editors are a minority of NTS Sessions listeners, let's just leave it there. It's not worth getting worked up about.

Went back to NTS1 yesterday, t1a1 and bqbqbq remain a wonderful opening. Gonk Steady One and Four of Seven remain classics. The rest are good album tracks, but those four remain the chief takeaways for mine.

Edited by Roo