IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

A bit disappointed that All End wasn't split across 3 discs, as there is no way to continuously listen to the whole track, you have to stop and turn a record over. They missed a trick there.

This evening I have discovered much beauty in North Spiral, especially the last couple of minutes.

It’s impossible to fit it on one side and keep acceptable sound quality, though.

No trick was missed, it’s physics.

i think he meant that they could have, theoretically, shuffled the faces of vinyl so that D E F were on different discs, thus allowing someone with two decks to fade seamlessly between them. The way its currently organized makes that impossible without two copies
If they played All End as

Pt1

Pt2

Pt1

Pt3

They could have a semi-extended run of the song and no one would know the difference because all three sides are just identical because it’s one fucking note held forever

*ducks*

I view buying physical releases as a donation to the artist. Nobody needs physical releases anymore, admit it u scumbags

Wouldn’t buying digital be more of a donation since there are no production costs?

Anyway - just got mine. Excited to listen over the next week.

Just got the vinyl and randomly put on a vinyl, it happened to be elyc9 7hres and it's fucking glorious.

I guess there's a TINY bit of wobble in the record but it's not terrible. The ends of the sleeves are all bowed to the right. Kinda surprised considering it was nested in so many rigid boxes. Oh well!

I view buying physical releases as a donation to the artist. Nobody needs physical releases anymore, admit it u scumbags

Nope. I can't play digital files on my stereo, so I need a physical copy. And I don't feel the need to change that. I love CDs.

i think he meant that they could have, theoretically, shuffled the faces of vinyl so that D E F were on different discs, thus allowing someone with two decks to fade seamlessly between them.  The way its currently organized makes that impossible without two copies

The old opera trick.

A bit disappointed that All End wasn't split across 3 discs, as there is no way to continuously listen to the whole track, you have to stop and turn a record over. They missed a trick there.

This evening I have discovered much beauty in North Spiral, especially the last couple of minutes.

It’s impossible to fit it on one side and keep acceptable sound quality, though.

No trick was missed, it’s physics.

i think he meant that they could have, theoretically, shuffled the faces of vinyl so that D E F were on different discs, thus allowing someone with two decks to fade seamlessly between them. The way its currently organized makes that impossible without two copies

yeah that's what I meant.

Although part 1 could be E

Part 2 D

Part 3 F

Then you could seamlessly play it with 2 turntables

Ahhh I get you. Yeah, could’ve had it on single sided vinyls, with an etching on the blank side. Or just left it blank. See what you mean now.

That’s a cool idea actually

Yup.

As expected.

Every single disc in my vinyl box is horribly badly warped.

After reading Discogs, I'm not even going to pretend to be surprised by this.

I mean, the label IS Warp records right?

(hope they issue a replacement or give you your money back, that's crap)

Thanks! Very disappointed.

Also, Blerp want "proof" of the warped discs and bowed sleeves. Meaning sending videos and pictures. As if I have the inclination to do any of that. Requesting a full refund instead. Life is too short and I've wasted enough of mine already.

Slight curve on my vinyl box. Picture makes it look far worse than it is, tbh:

03rldl0.png

Putting it down to the weight involved - it was well packaged in a massive oversized shipping box, probably thanks to being sent with the CD set, so not caused by anything happening while in transit.

Yup.

As expected.

Every single disc in my vinyl box is horribly badly warped.

After reading Discogs, I'm not even going to pretend to be surprised by this.

I mean, the label IS Warp records right?

(hope they issue a replacement or give you your money back, that's crap)

Thanks! Very disappointed.

Also, Blerp want "proof" of the warped discs and bowed sleeves. Meaning sending videos and pictures. As if I have the inclination to do any of that. Requesting a full refund instead. Life is too short and I've wasted enough of mine already.

surely that's not that much of a big deal? if you've got time to complain here/to bleep/on discogs, you can surely take a short photo/video...

my sleeves are also a little bowed; warping the discs a bit in the process. i wonder if it's bit of a design flaw? just having the weight of 12x12"s accruring in the bottom of the thinnish inner sleeves maybe adding some sort of curvature to the sleeves and hence vinyl too? they play fine for me though. could probably sort out by leaving the whole thing horizontal for a while.

i don't envy warp dealing with pressing 12 LPs of delicate/dynamic music, ensuring the quality control of that whole process and then having to package up these huge boxes and send them out into the world, completely at the whim of the's world's postal systems. 

It would have been less of a big deal if Australia, New Zealand and the US hadn't got their box sets many, many days earlier than mine, at which point it sold out, and if I hadn't elected to work from home on the day the set was supposed to arrive, then didn't.

And now they want to send replacement discs so I have to take 12 photos plus video of each faulty item.

I'd rather just send the damn thing back and be done with it.

It's a shame too as I listened to one disc briefly and pressing sounds excellent.

(Also, these messages take seconds...)

Edited by Jamesqdot

My CD box is a touched bowed, not near as bad as some of your vinyls. The paper overlay looks a bit cheap in person as well, I suspected all this from seeing the photos but yeah, confirmed. Cheap & quick production I guess? Obviously has some issues...as long as the CDs play it's not a big deal though (they look fine of course), as I know that fucking white box is gonna get ugly after a year or two of use anyway.

Edited by auxien

Mine arrived a tiny bit curvy but doesn't seem to affect play. Halfway through NTS1 and it sounds very well pressed, t1a1 sounded immense.

To be honest CD / digital probably makes more sense for a release like this (especially NTS4) but damn if it's not satisfying dropping the needle on l3 ctrl and blasting it out.

got my CDs today. just popped in here, see curves are occurring. my box slightly dipped. looking closely, suggest box is actually too big for the amount of discs.

Purely anecdotal early data from the social media tubes, but it seems like a lot of CD sets were procured in favour of the vinyl edition. Cost obviously a large factor in that - also a lot of vinyl sets might not have made it to their respective new homes yet - but it makes me curious as to how many copies of the full fat vinyl set (not the separate 3xLP releases) were produced.

Purely anecdotal early data from the social media tubes, but it seems like a lot of CD sets were procured in favour of the vinyl edition. Cost obviously a large factor in that - also a lot of vinyl sets might not have made it to their respective new homes yet - but it makes me curious as to how many copies of the full fat vinyl set (not the separate 3xLP releases) were produced.

For comparison, Warp20 Boxset was 5000 pressings.

Got my vinyl and CD sets today too, not broken the seal on the vinyl as yet but slight warping on the outer box. Might have been sturdier if the inner box didn't have that angled cut away and was 3 full sides with just the opening at the top.