IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Sessions 2-4 are now on Spotify for UK time zones.

spotify is like doing it for 'the exposure'. i wonder if warp negotiated a good deal for their catalog? 

arthur schopenhauer wouldn't like autechre probably. 

sorry but you're wrong cause he said: ''say to mushroom and such to stfu! i really like autechre which are the best example of pure genius and something that kant would define as exemplary creative''

- arthur schopenhauer

edit: HE'S NOT REALLY MAD AT YOU

Edited by xox

would schopenhauer praise kant like that....?

or at least refer to him as an authority on good artists?

in the matters of aesthetics and views about art yes, he would and he did praised him 

oh word. I've read next to nothing from him lol :P

he's really good. i can recommend you his best work: ''the world as will and representation''. it's a huge body of work but it can change your life. kant is level of its own really but schoppy is often more fun to read. part of the said work are writings about art that can be found as a separate book usually called ''on genius''. (here's an excerpt: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/s/schopenhauer/arthur/lit/chapter9.html, and few of kant's words: https://academic.oup.com/bjaesthetics/article/54/3/323/137805)

both of them helped me understand that there really is such things as the genius level of creativity and products of genius in art (and according to them only in art and philosophy, never in science or math, (explained why not)), what is genius art, how to recognize it, that it's not just some higher level of talent but a separate categorical entity/concept, and so on. after reading them i see autechre as the best possible example of this (in electronic music). imo the matters can be understood only if you read works of both of them, kant and schoppy and if you ad a bit of the psycho-dynamic theory even better

Edited by xox

I've got World as Will... on my bookshelf I just haven't gotten around to it :P

I've read a lot of Wittgenstein and a little bit of Nietzsche and I figure since Nietzsche talked a lot of shit about Kant then it would be the same with Schopenhauer lol. But then again Nietzsche from mid period onward talked a lot of shit about Schopenhauer....Wittgenstein too.

I don't read enough >.>

I can at the very least say that Wittgenstein would hate Autechre because he said music ended with Brahms and the rest is just "machinery" or something lol. Autechre is pure machine

I've got World as Will... on my bookshelf I just haven't gotten around to it :P

I've read a lot of Wittgenstein and a little bit of Nietzsche and I figure since Nietzsche talked a lot of shit about Kant then it would be the same with Schopenhauer lol. But then again Nietzsche from mid period onward talked a lot of shit about Schopenhauer....Wittgenstein too.

I don't read enough >.>

I can at the very least say that Wittgenstein would hate Autechre because he said music ended with Brahms and the rest is just "machinery" or something lol. Autechre is pure machine

oh wittgenstein is great, really smart shit, but i've read very little of him and long time ago in high school, afaik it was the 'blue book' or something like that. i need to revisit him

yes, nietzsche is pure fun, as fun can go in philosophy :) he called kant ''moralistic maniac'' or something like that lol

well, hmmm *cough*... i kind of half-agree with wittgenstein on music  :fear:

Edited by xox

I mean he obviously meant it in the pejorative sense, but that doesn't mean the observation doesn't have value

yes yes agree

But what should that be? What's mechanical in Debussy or Mahler? And Webern is not more mechanical like Josquin or Ockeghem or Bach way before him. If somebody envisions the fall of an art form, there is only one thing you can learn from it: that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I feel like Wittgenstein of all people knows exactly what he's talking about. We just don't know what he's talking about

also worth noting he never published that statement himself, that was posthumously taken from a notebook

"bqbqbq > nineFly"

- jader pansen

That's not true. bqbqbq is 11'15" and nineFly is 23'20".

23'20">11'15"

Ha... I've been watching a lot of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver lately...

This totally fits in with the few clips I watched today.

=P

:beer:

ok, I can't find it in the book Culture and Value right now which is where the quote comes from, but it goes something like "Music came to a full stop with Brahms, and even in him I can hear the whir of machinery...."

it's a striking enough thought to consider what is the difference between him and the composers that came after. I'm not musically or aesthetically inclined for the task though unfortunately. or maybe I am and I just don't want to put in the effort. but I don't think the notion should be dismissed out of hand.

I feel like Wittgenstein of all people knows exactly what he's talking about. We just don't know what he's talking about

also worth noting he never published that statement himself, that was posthumously taken from a notebook

He wasn't a music historian, he wasn't a music theorecist. He witnessed how the second viennese school came to be, and had an opinion on it. And he universalized this opinion on the whole music history.

Perhaps there was then a reason why he didn't published it.