IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

glos ceramic is a standout tune. lovely little weird trip it goes on.

is nineFly a remix of nine? someone listen to them both and track the melodies or something, i'm terrible at that shit. also i have literally zero reason to suggest that except the name

NineFLY is one of my favourite tracks on these sessions. I was trying to describe it to someone the other day and it really did just come out like a garbled mess. To me it is one of the most unique tracks they've made in terms of sound design. There were a few bits in the most recent round of live gigs that sounded like it was using a similar technique to whats going on in this track.

There is some modulation happening on the high end that is in direct proportion to what is going on in the low end and i can't really verbalise much more than that 

Yeah, sounds spectral maybe. Like everything is some sort of resonance or overtone driven by the bass

The whistle/flute sound smells like some sort of phase vocoding treatment, or artifacts from very low mp3 bitrate compression etc

The whole track is like a funk jam turned inside out. The perfect sonic match the human blob from the Inside video game.

Edited by IOS

I still hear it as a housefly widow torch song, like a Billie Holiday/Badu type soul number who misses her BrundleFly.

My team are in the AFL Grand Final today (West Coast Eagles). Autechre AOTD/tour and a premiership in the same year, such luck!

Edited by Roo

nineFLY is still firmly in the bbq camp for me. I don’t get it. At all.

nineFly comes together by the end quite nicely. The rest falls into place after that.

Has anyone made a 25min 'best of' of this yet?

Here's two:

1. gonk steady one

1. tt1pd 

Edited by seaburn

Wait min.. are people still not getting BBQ!? Shit thought everyone would have figured out its awesome beauty by now..I wasn't sure about it at 1st but one of my fav tracks now.

Actually clicked for me listening to it at a bbq in the sunshine! Also sounded well lush in the sunshine on holiday watching waves roll in on the beach. Think this may be my new go to Ae summer jam track now

Yeah i dont get me too all the hate for bq

The lush pads contrast with the bleep bloops ting and a real emotion is coming out from all this.

It gets me everytime.

To my modest ae fan ears, it sounds like a « modern »Rae

I've gotta say, I've been really enjoying 9 chr0. I feel like there's an enormous amount of depth that I keep picking away at on each listen. The polyphony in this track is insane. In the way that some autechre tracks are like a synth duet, this track is like several people all excitedly talking over each other trying to tell the same story.

It's also one of the few tracks on this record where the rhythm is slippery enough to get away from me regularly. I'd be interested in listening with a metronome to try and figure that aspect out. 

I'm surprised bqbqbq gets so many WTFs. I think it's one of the best on the whole thing. To me it's like what T ess xi was trying to be but lacked the nuance to express.

Yeah, my initial reaction was "cool, glad they made a track like this." It's sort of exceptional in how unassuming and gentle it is. Not my favorite track on NTS, but I appreciate it and enjoy it.

Wow, comparing to T ess xi, I want to say they are sibling tracks cut from the same cloth.

I've gotta say, I've been really enjoying 9 chr0. I feel like there's an enormous amount of depth that I keep picking away at on each listen. The polyphony in this track is insane. In the way that some autechre tracks are like a synth duet, this track is like several people all excitedly talking over each other trying to tell the same story.

It's also one of the few tracks on this record where the rhythm is slippery enough to get away from me regularly. I'd be interested in listening with a metronome to try and figure that aspect out. 

9 chr0 is incredible.

regarding BBQ, its kind of about the chord progressions, and the background pads are actually the center, which you don't realize until like 3 minutes in. it's kind of more akin to tri repetae stuff when they were doing more deliberate tone moods. but it's weird and counterintuitive because of the prominent plinky plonky stuff

Edited by very honest

Just realized that oneum and turbile epic casual are cut from the same cloth (remix/hybrid/variation/cousin/etc.)

Yep, I see the connection now too. (Feels weird using the word "see" in an audio context because it's literally from a different sense)

Same with g 1 e 1 and the end of AE_LIVE Brussels (and I think Dublin too)

I'm not quite all the way thru Session 2 yet. Left off on e0 I think. But violvoic is like the belly of the fuckin beast. So much wicked shit going on this time around.

Is it just me though or are they using some of the same patches they did for Ae_Live? Because it seems like there are recurring sounds.

Yeah, i think they absolutely are.

In fact I kept expecting violvoic to shift into 48:00 of Nagano for a while for some reason. I tried to find an AE_LIVE where it shifted from something like the second half of  violvoic into it, but no luck. Guess it's all in my head.

What do you remember?

I'm not quite all the way thru Session 2 yet. Left off on e0 I think. But violvoic is like the belly of the fuckin beast. So much wicked shit going on this time around.

Is it just me though or are they using some of the same patches they did for Ae_Live? Because it seems like there are recurring sounds.

Yeah, i think they absolutely are.

In fact I kept expecting violvoic to shift into 48:00 of Nagano for a while for some reason. I tried to find an AE_LIVE where it shifted from something like the second half of  violvoic into it, but no luck. Guess it's all in my head.

What do you remember?

They definitely are. They were doing this with elseq 1-5 as well.

Working on my NTS (versions).ep.ae right now.

Only joking. First time i played around with two ae samples on my po33. This little thing is so much fun. Wonder if there are ae remixes out there which are done by only using the po33. I mean real remixes or variations which are listenable. I wouldn't call my session done in 5 minutes listenable seriously.

Edited by klek

I feel like we should coin a name for this era in Ae's career since 2014. I'm tempted to call it Ae's "post-studio" era, because in the last four years they've pretty much abandoned the tradition of studio-recorded LPs followed by pretty much every other signed artist on the planet and have established their own sets. And AE_LIVE, Elseq, and NTS are all connected and inter-woven in one form or another, in an almost ethereal fashion...if that makes sense.

Of course that's one of the reasons I love Ae. They excel at breaking convention.