IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

jazz:

On 4/11/2018 at 7:03 AM, modey said:

all this bitching and I can't believe nobody has noticed that 32a_reflected is a palindrome yet (left channel is reversed version of right).

QRINUph.png

• Thanks 2

^ ah, thanks. wasn't sure if i recalled something like that. i didn't realize that meant playing it backwards is the same song.

reversed it sounds a little different though. 

Edited by very honest

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just reading through old AE interviews and came across this extract: “I mean I really like Art Of Noise and On-U-Sound, mainly as I used to collect that stuff, and the overlaps used to do my head in. You know, like ‘ahh that bit’s off that track’ or whatever, and I quite like that. When we came back to listening through all our material, it was quite disorienting in the same way, it was a similar feeling. There’s only two or three bits from the 2005 tour set that ended up on the album though.”

I've had that same listening experience throughout the NTS sessions, as if AE were creating hybrid songs out of their own catalog. Some of the tracks I can place, like carefree counter dronal combining that early speedy section from the 2015 lives with some pendulu hv moda from elseq. I think some tracks even blend/remix three or more previous songs.

Anyone else have this listening experience? Really masterful, deliberate disorientation. 

58 minutes ago, Nenlow66 said:

I was just reading through old AE interviews and came across this extract: “I mean I really like Art Of Noise and On-U-Sound, mainly as I used to collect that stuff, and the overlaps used to do my head in. You know, like ‘ahh that bit’s off that track’ or whatever, and I quite like that. When we came back to listening through all our material, it was quite disorienting in the same way, it was a similar feeling. There’s only two or three bits from the 2005 tour set that ended up on the album though.”

I've had that same listening experience throughout the NTS sessions, as if AE were creating hybrid songs out of their own catalog. Some of the tracks I can place, like carefree counter dronal combining that early speedy section from the 2015 lives with some pendulu hv moda from elseq. I think some tracks even blend/remix three or more previous songs.

Anyone else have this listening experience? Really masterful, deliberate disorientation. 

I do have similar feelings to but I think it comes from partly their workflow, if you have an idea/patch up running it's really easy to take it into 1000000 different directions. 

Like in wetgelis/end of sinistrailAB I hear the pulsing chords from latentcall. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, Boxus said:

t1a1 is one of most enjoyable listens in their whole discography. it has an ASMR effect on me. squishing and bending in all the right places. massaging my brain.

love this about autechre where a track, or its various components, have the sensation of going on at certain areas of the head, sometimes just below the ears or down at the top of the spine/neck area, you can feel the sound like a ball or line fizzing away tantalizing brain tickle ^^ very physical feeling more like absorbing than listening. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 6:11 AM, mushroom said:

acid mwan idle sounds really cool imo. it's...spacious? like a big alien space

for the longest time I always pictured an intense rite of passage by some tribe deep in the jungle

last few times it's sounded like viewing a cross section of a weird, complicated machine in full swing, and then zooming in on each moving part depending where you train your gaze so to speak, but then it has that recurring crowd cheering like at a sports stadium or something. A really fun, bonkers track, man! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ooqpoo said:

for the longest time I always pictured an intense rite of passage by some tribe deep in the jungle

last few times it's sounded like viewing a cross section of a weird, complicated machine in full swing, and then zooming in on each moving part depending where you train your gaze so to speak, but then it has that recurring crowd cheering like at a sports stadium or something. A really fun, bonkers track, man! 

I totally get that ritualistic vibe from it, feels like some kind of deep hypnotic chanting. the transition into mwan from tt1pd is one of the best and weirdest moments on the sessions, it shouldn't work but somehow it's just perfect.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Really enjoying NTS 4 these days. Frane casual's biting wind on a snowy mountainside, that ominous sigh/whisper adding a deep warmth to everything as it rises closer, up over the horizon backdropped by a large muted sun, hazy yellow sky specked with snow and ice on the wind.

Mirage. The vistas of frane casual where we’ve now gone from standing on the mountainside to riding the wind, a smooth sense of velocity prevails. Gliding above the snowy landscape, sometimes passing over the mouths of deep echoey canyons then across sprawling plains like a white desert with the forlorn cry of a large oxen rising up to greet us.

Column thirteen. There’s a great sense of rest and and warmth here, like we’ve now reached a place of sanctuary from the snowswept mountains and chilling with some advanced race of beings, drinking smoking and talking of high things and surrounded by luxurious elegance of a glowing futuristic baroque architecture. The way it finally hits the mark of the melody it’s been swirling around at 14:55-15:05 is an amazing bit too.

Shimripl casual. This feels kind of aquatic, like slowly sinking through an ocean full of weird electric jellyfish while playing some kind of slap bass dirge. It also really reminds me of that planet Yoda lives on. An emphasis on waterlogged, verdant biology with lots of mist and possible hints of shadowy beings lurking here and there.  

All end. The way it would feel to be perched at the wingtip of an aeroplane full of swooning organs. Or something. It’s definitely very high altitude and kind of angelic. If I was a priest, I would just have this as the sermon every Sunday!  

I think this is gonna get some heavy rotation as we head further into autumn/winter. It’s really got those low temperature, expansive feels goin through it.  

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 9/17/2022 at 1:51 PM, toaoaoad said:

Never heard this "all end", is it good?

I finally listened to it all the way through... yeah maybe I'm a shit fan lol but honestly had never made it through the whole thing before. It really doesn't need to be an hour long does it? Half an hour would be cool. But I was on a long bus trip and it seemed like a good time to take the plunge. I drifted into a half asleep state several times and at times it just sounded like white noise in that state. Kinda cool. What a lame ending though lol

• 3 months later...