IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

I was really hoping for a new direction but this sounds like extended elseq jams and we have like 247:38 min of elseq stuff. Also first time i start to skip threw ae tracks because they sound like the same msp patch with ongoing random effects over and over again.  Only tracks i can enjoy so far are four of seven and l3 ctrl. Still curious for the next session maybe i enjoy them more.

this has

ae

on the cover.

s'ok pet - think that's just cos NTS 1-4

well duh that's what it's for

but much of their number-referencing is slightly subtly and/or cheekily done. U GOTTA SEE THE LAYERS OF HIDDENNESS MY DUDE they're on a higher level like TOol or something.

But yeah as y'all mentioned maybe they're counting AE_LIVE? or just not caring about the number thing at all right now since they're not even sure if they count these collections as albums really (they said this pretty directly in the elseq Resident Advisor interview).

They love to wind us up

Also first time i start to skip threw ae tracks because they sound like the same msp patch with ongoing random effects over and over again.

Think it's time to hand in that 'IDM God' badge young man.

Also first time i start to skip threw ae tracks because they sound like the same msp patch with ongoing random effects over and over again.

Think it's time to hand in that 'IDM God' badge young man.

sr but i dont have hands

the first three tracks are dull, the rest are deece to very good. it's very much a live banger record with a big, dumb and loud sound and without much intricacies and careful thought put into it. but sam and bob's skill and intuition are still often enough to construct some pretty out there industro-psychedelic soundscapes. a solid appetizer till their A.I. completes the upcoming LP that is out on 17th of june this year.

7.4/10

Edited by eugene

I am the only person who loves the 1st track? Like it when they do slow narcotic sounding shit.. reminds me a bit of the plc version on quadrange..

probably order first run directly from aestore or bust

I've preordered this and am really liking the first release, but I'm surprised people are saying it seems more focused than Elseq. To me this stuff seems even more like long captures from the same world as the live sets/Elseq - captures that almost seem they could have been taken from anywhere within a patch's output. I'm happy with this very 'generated' sounding, meandering longform jammy stuff, but I wouldn't go in expecting a big deviation from the last release if you haven't heard it yet. If anything there's even less 'moments' or switches than on Elseq. The tracks kind of just mostly go. Luckily it's the kind of 'going' I like! :-) 

Edited by Lianne

I am the only person who loves the 1st track? Like it when they do slow narcotic sounding shit.. reminds me a bit of the plc version on quadrange..

Yeah I think the 1st track is excellent, a massive lumbering hypnotic beast with added cat noises. It sounds like it could crush you at any minute.

Don't think there's too much similarity with the plcccc or whatever it was from Quadrange, but I do love the first track. Not something I'll put on all the time maybe given it is 18 minutes long, but it's damned good. Slow with some dark as fuck bass and twisty sounds happening all the time, but still sparse and floaty. Reminds me more of the vibe of Zeiss Contarex (especially the /snare/).

a solid appetizer till their A.I. completes the upcoming LP

I wouldn't put it past them to release the next album as software. It's not like Warp haven't done it before with Eno.

I've preordered this and am really liking the first release, but I'm surprised people are saying it seems more focused than Elseq. To me this stuff seems even more like long captures from the same world as the live sets/Elseq - captures that almost seem they could have been taken from anywhere within a patch's output. I'm happy with this very 'generated' sounding, meandering longform jammy stuff, but I wouldn't go in expecting a big deviation from the last release if you haven't heard it yet. If anything there's even less 'moments' or switches than on Elseq. The tracks kind of just mostly go. Luckily it's the kind of 'going' I like! :-) 

qft.

qft.

the production also isn't as refined as elseq's, which to me sounds so fatass and 3d it's almost like some pseudo surround at times. srsly try it out, put the lossless of dunno... debris_funk and spTh (similar vibe imo) in one playlist against each other, the latter will blow your balls right off in comparison. just sayn, might be another indication that this stuff is indeed more livey and hands on.

all in all i really love this first package, tho not gonna lie: if someone would've asked me what i'd like to hear on a new ae albumish thingy "dat synth from hv moda just alone with the stutter effect of latent call" wouldn't have sprung to mind first. it really fits the flow tho.

I still haven't heard all of AE_LIVE.  I kind of forgot that was a different thing from elseq... brb.

i'm just getting started on exai. feel like i've finally digested oversteps 8 years on

What a lovely surprise seeing the Autechre store filled with new material. It sure is preordered.

^ - Still haven't heard AE LIVE or Elseq! Only just finished processing Exai tbh :p

My dear man, you should! I think Exai is just the intro to this new era of Autechre sounds. They really did something completely new and unique with these releases.