IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Showerthought : I realized that this behemoth might very well be their last physical release. They're clearly very happy with the way they produce and release music right now, and it feels like they decided to gift their fans an opportunity to own everything on a physical support - which we couldn't get with elseq. The release isn't an album and has no name.

I'd love to hear an Autechre 60mn LP but I guess they are waaaaaaay ahead of their game and already understood what steps were to come after the age of albums and 80-minutes-max standards.

^ - Still haven't heard AE LIVE or Elseq! Only just finished processing Exai tbh :p

ae_live was too much for me, ive got it all but can't really digest it.

Lol and now i've got 8 hours of new tunes on the horizon

Showerthought : I realized that this behemoth might very well be their last physical release. They're clearly very happy with the way they produce and release music right now, and it feels like they decided to gift their fans an opportunity to own everything on a physical support - which we couldn't get with elseq. The release isn't an album and has no name.

I'd love to hear an Autechre 60mn LP but I guess they are waaaaaaay ahead of their game and already understood what steps were to come after the age of albums and 80-minutes-max standards.

I guess there is too much money in physical releases and when Warp wants it they'll do it. Which I get, I also rather have more than less money and if it makes people happy, why not?

fkn lol autechre

I'm not buying the 12 LP boxset, wavs are enough for me (even so, ended up grabbing the 320 mp3s for my phone)

Digital is the way to go for new ae imo, I don't hear anything in these tracks that would benefit from a vinyl pressing tbh..

probably order first run directly from aestore or bust

Anyone ever had FedEx shipped stuff? I wonder what the slightly less shipping method is

elseq 1–5 has over the past two years now just really blown me away in terms of its sheer scope and execution. In my mind, it is the most prolific and masterful material they have yet released. It has become far and away my favourite album from them and I have listened to it in it's entireity (in one sitting) more than 10 times now. And on so many occasions I will just listen to it in parts, 1 part at a time over the span of 5 days. It's expertly timed and paced. It captures every range of human emotion. It certainly has standout moments for me, but as a whole I can't really pick out anything that feels out of place.

Over my birthday, in january of '17 a friend and I took two very strong tabs of blotter. Being a good bit younger than me, she had never listened to Autechre before, and was really not familiar with techno even, let alone idm. I told her I had a 4 hour long album I was going to play during the trip and we were going to lay back and just listen to it the whole time. Uninterrupted. We waited until we had both hit our peak and had a good feel for the acid, and I asked her if it was going to be oki to listen to it now. She said yes, and I warned her it's not going to sound like anything you've heard before and some of it might make you feel uncomfortable, but I promise you it will pass and whatever happens you'll ride it and it will be oki. She understood and assured me she would be oki. feed1 hit so hard like, this track seemed like it went on for eons, halfway thru she gave out an exhasparated 'holy fuck!' and when it finally relinquished itself, i was like 'that was just the first track' and kind of laughed. Needless to say she had her mind blown, as did I. She came away from it totally enlightened. I remember her saying something like 'I didn't even know these kinds of sounds were possible to make, let alone that they could be made to sound musical.' and one of my favourite descriptions I remember her saying was something along the lines of 'if I were to try to describe it as a whole it was as if you were interacting with a sort of kaleidoscopic image of a flower and within each microscopic petal on this flower there was a capsule or shred of one part of human emotion, and it was constantly shifting and turning and you were experiencing them through the different sounds as the album moved on' I can't rightly describe everything I personally experienced, but I do know that it was easily the most enlightening moments I have ever had listening to their music, or really any music really. And i have certainly listened to my fair shair of music on acid. One of the most memorable experiences I have and probably will ever have. The sound design is phenominal. There are parts that felt 3 dimensional, where I felt like I was inside a giant bell or horn of a wind instrument and I could see the sound waves rippling off the sides of the walls around me.

I remember thinking… dude, they designed this perfectly for an acid trip… the duration and pacing… like when part 3 hits, it is JUST what your brain needs to sort of come down from the massive mind fuck that is part 2. and the slow winding drones, it just seemed natural that at that point i loaded up a huge balloon in my volcano and the vapor rose above us and we laid back down and fell into it. sure of course this makes sense even if you're not tripping balls, but still. Each part is an album inandofitself, but then again as a whole it works brilliantly. After this occasion I really had to let it sit for awhile, I didn't revisit it again for maybe over a month. And when I did come back to it I wasn't sure what to expect, it wasn't as profound of course, but it had grown more familiar and my understanding of it was much richer and deeper. It is, (and æ are) as has been stated above, very playful music when it comes down to it. But it is also very serious, and quite passionate.

All this being said, I am loving this NTS Broadcast, and am really digging a few parts in particular. I have only been able to listen to it all the way through twice so far. I am very much anticipating being able to hear it in high quality, and I can't wait for what is yet to come. It does feel as others have said like this is new material worked in with reconstructions of ideas from AE_LIVE and elseq. I don't know how they will be able to top elseq, but I do not doubt that it is possible.

It is such a wonderful thing to be able to experience the music of Autechre, and knowing that they are continuing to create more of it to share with us gives me the most beautiful feeling.

Seems like an amazing experience, thanks 4 sharing. Autechre is the best on psychedelics. Wish i still had the balls to take a trip, i def would play elseq. That said, exai is amazing on xtc, my jaws lol

I can't help but feel like releases with this much content would be better served spaced out throughout the 2 ish year wait between releases. I bet on prolificness they are beating their record from back in the Envane/Chiastic Slide/Cichlisuite years despite only releasing once every 2 years.

I like to listen to Ae albums front to back, and rarely have time to do that for elseq. Sessions 1-4 will be a full time job to get through, and if they keep going at this rate you won't be able to go front to back on their next album without staying up all night.

Shouldn't complain though, A huge dump of new Ae is certainly a hype bomb for sure.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

I was really hoping for a new direction but this sounds like extended elseq jams and we have like 247:38 min of elseq stuff. Also first time i start to skip threw ae tracks because they sound like the same msp patch with ongoing random effects over and over again.  Only tracks i can enjoy so far are four of seven and l3 ctrl. Still curious for the next session maybe i enjoy them more.

I mean elseq was the best stuff they have ever done IMO, and so i'm completely cool with this. And while it has hints of elseq and AE_LIVE it, is different enough to be interesting and engagin, at least to my ears.  So far the only track that I find a bit challenging and that I'm confused about is bqbqbq.

fkn lol autechre

I'm not buying the 12 LP boxset, wavs are enough for me (even so, ended up grabbing the 320 mp3s for my phone)

Digital is the way to go for new ae imo, I don't hear anything in these tracks that would benefit from a vinyl pressing tbh..

I do agree with you about the digital approach to their new music. I just personally enjoy collecting physical copies of artists I really like. I haven't bought a new record or cd in over 8 months now, so I felt splurging on this was justified. But yes, I certainly will get more play out of the digitals. Vinyls or CDs I usually save for special occasions these days.

Seems like an amazing experience, thanks 4 sharing. Autechre is the best on psychedelics. Wish i still had the balls to take a trip, i def would play elseq. That said, exai is amazing on xtc, my jaws lol

Glad you were able to appreciate it. Man when my friend first offered to trip I was at first like 'oh yeah for sure' but then liek when it came time to do it was like very hesitant. It had been over two years since I had last tripped and not that the last time was bad or anything I just was nervous I guess. I knew in my head right away that I wanted to listen to elseq tho, and I brought that up with her beforehand. It was so worth it.

I can't help but feel like releases with this much content would be better served spaced out throughout the 2 ish year wait between releases. I bet on track times they are beating their record from back in the Envane/Chiastic Slide/Cichlisuite years despite only releasing once every 2 years.

I like to listen to Ae albums front to back, and rarely have time to do that for elseq. Sessions 1-4 will be a full time job to get through, and if they keep going at this rate you won't be able to go front to back on their next album without staying up all night.

Shouldn't complain though, A huge dump of new Ae is certainly a hype bomb for sure.

Someone else a page or two back said something vaguely similar to this, and it's come up multiple times otherwise.... so don't think I'm directing this blabber directly at you :)

I don't think AE are ever going to sit down and listen to all 8 hours of the NTS Residency at once. Why would they expect you to? It wouldn't surprise me if they ever sat down and intensely listened to all ~4 hours of elseq at once. The releases are chunked up into smaller (obviously 2 hours isn't exactly a small chunk of time) bits, and of course the vinyls/CDs will be further cut up. There's not much sacred about how they're doing things and they acknowledge that. I personally think we should all be a little more open to bending our habits regularly...like for some who are still talking about waiting til the vinyl comes out to listen to this entirely software created digital electronic music literally created for an online radio station. I mean I'm seriously not shitting on anyone doing whatever they want, but it just doesn't sync up logically beyond 'this is the way I do things so I'm going to do things this way' really. Each to their own though, very much everyone, really, you do you. Not trying to argue at all, just suggesting that hey, maybe change things up when it makes sense? Or just for the fuck of it, who cares. New music is out and it's fookin' good eh

So far the only track that I find a bit challenging and that I'm confused about is bqbqbq.

I hear it as a pretty straight triplet groove. To me it sounds like a weirdly filtered EP7 outtake.

Someone should do the math on what % of their total musical output elseq and sessions constitute.

albums + remixes + comp tracks (excluding bootlegs like kalpol intro live etc, all of Gescom, and other aliases and collabs, but including Hafler Trio collabs) = almost exactly 4000 minutes (66 hours)

NTS = ~8 hours = 480 minutes

elseq = 247 minutes

so

NTS = (480*100)/4000 = 12%

elseq = (247*100)/4000 = 6,175%

Edited by span

Went the CD option (my last physical was probably L-Event, so I'm overdue for something to hold and treasure), with mp3 and WAV included ofcourse.

On first listen, NTS 01 is essentially what I want from them at this point, appears a freed-up rootsy jam bookend collapse of Lego Feet and Elseq. Immediate, playful, sharable, endlessly listenable. The release nature ties into this nicely.

Edited by Roo

Someone should do the math on what % of their total musical output elseq and sessions constitute.

albums + remixes + comp tracks (excluding bootlegs like kalpol intro live etc, all of Gescom, and other aliases and collabs, but including Hafler Trio collabs) = almost exactly 4000 minutes (66 hours)

NTS = ~8 hours = 480 minutes

elseq = 247 minutes

so

NTS = (480*100)/4000 = 12%

elseq = (247*100)/4000 = 6,175%

Damn I was even going to guess it must be close to 20%.

LOL

Is that 4000 with or without the live sets at the bleepstore (no bootlegs)? With those livesets you're going to end op close to 33%

waaaat

fuuuuuck I'm listneing to these WAVs now on my AK jr thru my HD-25s, daamn north spiral goes hard. this track is soo sick! one of my favourite parts. its really adding some nice spice to this taco i'm eating.

yes Holy farts shiz gets HYPE at 12:45