IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

I think it still is painstakingly crafted, maybe even more than before. Everything they do happens within parameters they set, every detail is exactly how they programmed it. Sean says:

what I'm saying is that playing with coding in MaxMSP is not "painstakingly crafted music".  it's certainly painstakingly crafted as, like, computer software?  but not as music, or at least it's certainly not coming across that way

>what I'm saying is that writing circles onto lined paper is not "painstakingly crafted music".  it's certainly painstakingly crafted as, like, drawing or writing? but not as music, or at least it's certainly not coming across that way

>playing with codes

>codes

Edited by Zeffolia

all this bitching and I can't believe nobody has noticed that 32a_reflected is a palindrome yet (left channel is reversed version of right).

QRINUph.png

all this bitching and I can't believe nobody has noticed that 32a_reflected is a palindrome yet (left channel is reversed version of right).

QRINUph.png

=O

Mind=blown...

yo there's a friggin cat on the first track

lol ooze, buddy. I listened for it but didn't hear it. 

Wheres kitty?

2:54 :catrecline:

HA!

=D

**now I'm hearing it sporadically throughout the track... =X

Edited by Hk47

It isn't even the length of tracks/releases or style that's the problem, it's an alarming lack of hunger and exploration in their music, something that has been prominent regardless of the style or mood on a given release (started waning around Exai) Maybe it's just they're getting on a bit, what are they almost 50 now? They've found software/hardware that they like working with and they're comfortable doing this kind of music and releasing it at their leisure. It's a bit of a shame, but then again it had to taper off at some point right?

yo there's a friggin cat on the first track

lol ooze, buddy. I listened for it but didn't hear it. 

Wheres kitty?

2:54 :catrecline:

HOLY SHIT! lol you weren't kittying

kidding

fuck, sorry dadjoke

There is, 100% IMO, a fucking cat at that spot and shortly again thereafter (around 2:57). 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

It isn't even the length of tracks/releases or style that's the problem, it's an alarming lack of hunger and exploration in their music, something that has been prominent regardless of the style or mood on a given release (started waning around Exai) Maybe it's just they're getting on a bit, what are they almost 50 now? They've found software/hardware that they like working with and they're comfortable doing this kind of music and releasing it at their leisure. It's a bit of a shame, but then again it had to taper off at some point right?

to the responders above, I feel you, but ... ^^ this.  they stopped exploring in 2012-13 ... maybe NTS will end up being amazing in the end, but I dunno

>what I'm saying is that writing circles onto lined paper is not "painstakingly crafted music".  it's certainly painstakingly crafted as, like, drawing or writing? but not as music, or at least it's certainly not coming across that way

>playing with codes

>codes

let's say that I'm a novelist, and that I invented an absurdly complicated word processing program, and then used that program to write a few long, rambling first-draft novels that didn't break any new ground ... would it matter how complicated my word processing program was?  I don't care if Rob and Sean are literally creating a new programming language from scratch, the music is all that matters

I like this Roo person. Glad some sanity is coming back and diluting all the whinging.

With every new AE release a lot of people immediately forget the albums they're holding up as an example of 'the GOOD autechre' are albums they've listened to multiple times for years and years. Albums they've had the time to get to grips with. (inb4 "yeah but now I are a saesoned ae fan I just know man")

>playing with codes

>codes

let's say that I'm a novelist, and that I invented an absurdly complicated word processing program, and then used that program to write a few long, rambling first-draft novels that didn't break any new ground ... would it matter how complicated my word processing program was?  I don't care if Rob and Sean are literally creating a new programming language from scratch, the music is all that matters

that's true. The music sounds pretty great from where I'm standing.

What's all this 'breaking new ground' nonsense?

Literally nobody makes music that quite does what they manage to do, I am always grateful for more of it. 

Well, programming tracks on Elektron boxes isn't exactly "playing" music, now, is it? I mean, it's programming a computer to fire off a series of events, with pre-determined parameters, special parameter locks, logic conditions, automation, etc. There's a performance aspect of 'mangling' sounds on the fly (turning knobs, muting trigs, "control-ALL", etc.), live... but, for the most part, the music is programmed--it's not played, directly. There's not a whole lot of difference between that, and working with software. Weren't Quaristice and Untilted made with Elektron machines? "Jamming" on Elektron boxes? yeah, right.

edit: btw, these new jams are fucking gorgeous, for the most part.

Edited by barbara planar

you're allowed to not dig it... 

<shrug>

It's all subjective... yeah?

You might dig it in a few weeks - or months - or years - or never.

It's o. k. 

I'm just happy we're getting new AE... even at their 'worst' - they create some of my absolute favorite music... 

For those who aren't enjoying it - it's a good thing there's a vast world of musics out there for you to digest and sort through until you find something that totally piques your interest. 

=D

Edited by Hk47

from where I sit, this is some of the most exciting ae music i've heard in quite some time. elseq was a mixed bag for me but elseq 5 is perfect. it's got a jazzy exploratory vibe. session 1 has that vibe for me with a load of swagger and funk. those are the ae bits that make me grin. like recks on and rale and treale and 1 1 is and on an on. this takes even my fav ae_live moments and pushes them forward.

it sounds to me like they are having fun. i think that's super important especially considering the quality of their output. sure the sound on this era has morphed a little more as opposed to big dramatic changes but they have been dialing this in for years now and they are happy and proud enough with it to share it.

plus, ya know, we've only heard 25% of this..

catechre, lol yeah, heard it. Nice reverse thing @last track.

Ha wouldn't mind a hiphop thing, ccec nostalgia comes to mind.

Edited by Guest

>playing with codes

>codes

That it is max/msp does not make it inherently good/interesting/noteworthy. That, I agree with, but I'm not sure who's arguing against that here.

I think what you're saying is that they're just noodling around on max/msp instead of writing music proper. But then, I'm not really sure what max/msp has to do with that. If they were noodling around on elektron gear or max/msp or a banjo doesn't really make a difference.

From where I'm standing, this release sounds like it's more jammy than their usual studio release for sure, and the mutation of sound is certainly more gradual / subtle throughout some of these tracks than you might expect from Ae, but I don't agree with your characterization of the music.

Also keep in mind we have 6 more hours coming and it's anyone's guess if the other volumes will maintain the same style or switch things up a bit.

that's true. The music sounds pretty great from where I'm standing.

yeah, that's what matters most if you like how it sounds or not.

people have different sonic pallettes and if someone likes this kinda stuff or doesn't it's not wrong.

of course having opinions as to why you like something more or less is fine, but in the end it's really just what you like and don't like.

I think they have been and will continue to do what they have always done, and that is make some of the most awesome electronic music that has filled our nugg jellies.

if you can't get past something because it's 'not as good' as previous work, it's likely just as much to do with the ways in which they are now making their music, as it is simply to do with your own ears and taste. obviously their own tastes and pallettes change, and maybe not always in a direction that all their fans will find appealing. but I would think usually, your tastes will change over time, to some degree at least. and maybe one day those who aren't as into the direction they've gone in recent years, will develop a liking to it.

I assume that if they had to they could whip together something really abstract and weird in a short amount of time whereas most electronic musician's workflows would require them to work really hard to do that.  With a well designed system abstraction can be a primitive which can be manipulated in arbitrary but well defined ways whereas with typical synth programming you have to do everything, and this limits expressiveness because you have to express everything manually, whereas with abstract generative methods you can express broad abstract concepts with limited amounts of code

I find this idea fascinating. And that really is what I'm wondering here. THey talked about being on the verge of being able to create full 'albums' sort of live or 'on the spot' so to speak. Which really maeks me think about how much of this is rehersed or sort of practiced, what is on the NTS sessions I mean. I think it woudl be so fucking cool if what they are doing is indeed, sort of more or less 'improv' creating a live album, live on an internet radio broadcast that will later be pressed to record and released on wav/flac/mp3 shortly after. because the NTS Session 1 does feel like it could be a album on its own much like all 5 parts of elseq couid be.

I mean then I guess you're getting into what is and isn#t considered an album… is it a cohesive set of tracks that follow a sort of overarching idea or concept? i mean I would ahve to say it does. Anyways, again, if this is indeed what they are doing, which I#d like to believe it is, tho I am ignorant to programming and coding myself, I personally think that would be fucking so cool and I would say that is a groundbreaking feat. But we don't really know if that's the case do we?

it sounds to me like they are having fun. i think that's super important especially considering the quality of their output. sure the sound on this era has morphed a little more as opposed to big dramatic changes but they have been dialing this in for years now and they are happy and proud enough with it to share it.

Totally. elseq and NTS both really give off the vibe that they are just fuckin having a great time. On my crazy trip when listening to elseq i could imagine them cracking up at certain parts that were making my head go crazy and just when i was thinking 'omg wtf?? my head's gonna explode' they would change it up like 'oki bored with that now, lets do this' but yet it doesnt come across to me as just simply 'jamming' or 'noodling' necessarily, it still at the same time feels very precise so well thoughtout and expertley composed, which is part of what is ingenius about it this stuff.

Bqbqbq is a treat

I love the melancholy in there (dont know why but reminds me a lot oversteps)

It seems it doesn’t get so much love so here I am

Most challenging track atm imo

Edited by autechrist