IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

north spiral....The sonics are so bad.

What's the heck is going on here - Are there different versions floating around on the blerpstore, because my copy of the track sounds great

to be clear, not Max/MSP as such, I mean the giant network of coding that they've built WITHIN the program which seems to have locked them into a relatively limited palette of ideas/sounds, as they're using ONLY this custom programming/coding/setup within Max/MSP.  something like 'draft 7.30' had so much more texture/variety/etc than all their work since 2012 imo.

it's one thing to suggest that you think the music sucks but your limited palette argument runs against the grain of their work ethos as they've revealed it to the public over the years. autechre have always been about exploring limited palettes and much of their work is defined by this discipline. 

north spiral....The sonics are so bad.

What's the heck is going on here - Are there different versions floating around on the blerpstore, because my copy of the track sounds great

I dunno. Sounds to me like they made a banger of a track and then played it thru the telephone. All the bass is stripped away and all that is left is a sound like a parakeet on meth pecking and scratching at a piece of sandpaper.

There's some great tracks on NTS01 but north spiral isn't one of them. thin, brittle sounding, flat, harsh digital clipping... I've given it a few listens all the way thru but I just can't get into it. The sonics are so bad.

344105330352848897.png?v=1

Get your speakers checked

to be clear, not Max/MSP as such, I mean the giant network of coding that they've built WITHIN the program which seems to have locked them into a relatively limited palette of ideas/sounds, as they're using ONLY this custom programming/coding/setup within Max/MSP.  something like 'draft 7.30' had so much more texture/variety/etc than all their work since 2012 imo.

it's one thing to suggest that you think the music sucks but your limited palette argument runs against the grain of their work ethos as they've revealed it to the public over the years. autechre have always been about exploring limited palettes and much of their work is defined by this discipline.

to be fair he still got a point. i mean let's just say this present phase of theirs started with AE_LIVE, that's 4 years of the same setup. now compare that to, say, the 4 years from 1994 to 1998, amber to lp5... each one was a quite a landslide with a very distinctive palette, limited as they might have been within themselves. but to expect anyone to keep this kinda pace up for a lifetime would be folly of course. also this is "just" a session we're talking about after all, i mean think more in context, like, were the peel sessions game changers back in the day? hardly. do they still rock? at least i do think so!

tbh i'm wondering why there isn't more arguing about what of this is actually live or something lol.

There's some great tracks on NTS01 but north spiral isn't one of them. thin, brittle sounding, flat, harsh digital clipping... I've given it a few listens all the way thru but I just can't get into it. The sonics are so bad.

i think it sounds ok just that it's a bit bland compared to the rest... ah anyway: h5 :3

Edited by jaderpansen

tbh i'm wondering why there isn't more arguing about what of this is actually live or something lol.

Well the last track definitely isn't unless they're insanely talented in performing at bi-directional sample-accurate timing (which, actually I wouldn't put it past them !)

With all the chat back and forth about Max/MSP and that lads' system I'm left wondering do we actually know what they're using just now?  I don't know if I'm up-to-date on interviews but for all we know they could have entirely ditched Max/MSP and gone on to (or back to) something else.  It's not like they don't have a rich history of constantly evolving.....

Anyway, I bet you're wondering what the guy who only appears here once in a blue moon reckons of the new stuff.  Well, let me tell you that I'm quite liking it overall and I'm excited for tomorrow.  But there will be too much for me to properly consume in any time in the near future.  My pattern for a release is about 6 months of pretty solid listening then I move onto other stuff and then I go back to it at the 18month mark and suddenly it's all making much more sense.  So, 2020 is going to be great.  In the meantime, I think some of the long tracks are ace and others whilst they've got good bits aren't worth the effort to take plough my way through them.  I'll probably end up making some edits of a couple for my own listening.

With all the chat back and forth about Max/MSP and that lads' system I'm left wondering do we actually know what they're using just now?  

if they've changed systems, then I'm very surprised by how similar the sound/palette is to AE_live, elseq, and (to an extent) Exai.  

anyway I'm definitely still hyped about the new music tomorrow

to be fair he still got a point. i mean let's just say this present phase of theirs started with AE_LIVE, that's 4 years of the same setup. now compare that to, say, the 4 years from 1994 to 1998, amber to lp5... each one was a quite a landslide with a very distinctive palette, limited as they might have been within themselves. but to expect anyone to keep this kinda pace up for a lifetime would be folly of course. also this is "just" a session we're talking about after all, i mean think more in context, like, were the peel sessions game changers back in the day? hardly. do they still rock? at least i do think so!

this whole notion of "new ground" is quaint. this music sounds extremely fresh and ground-breaking to me; i certainly don't know of other examples that sound anything like what they've been up to the past few years. if they are taking their time here refining and exploring a certain system, that's a perfectly valid and interesting artistic experiment. and if one insists it isn't different enough, well "new ground" isn't the only purpose of an artistic work. furthermore, there is plenty of precedent of artists producing work that is longer, deeper and more singular over time. i mentioned coltrane earlier, take a look at that dude's progression -- his solos grew far more lengthy, almost insanely so, while at the same time he often repeated themes, took up motifs and scales and ideas again and again, re-imagined them, reconfigured them (you can find "my favorite things" and "giant steps" all through his entire recorded career. but if you just skipped through his solos and listened to random 30 second bits you could definitely play this "ugh, this is just the same thing, not much new ground here."

the new ae shit entails a different kind of listening than 94-98. if it's not some one's thing, cool whatever. i just hate this "oh they're only doing max there's no new ground" argument. the dudes are taking their time with this set-up and i for one think it's goddamn incredible.

Well the last track definitely isn't unless they're insanely talented in performing at bi-directional sample-accurate timing (which, actually I wouldn't put it past them !)

Yeah, when modey posted that waveform (it always comes down to examining the waveforms doesn't it?) that pretty much sealed that this wasn't actually really live...there may be some aspects of it that are live, but it wouldn't surprise me if now if this was 100% prerecorded and designed to fit exactly to the 1:59:00-2:01:00 format or whatever leeway they were given with the time. Will be curious to hear them talk about it at some point soon (with huge new release of music and live dates coming up, we're guaranteed something).

Let the records show, I ran some youtube copyright ID numbers on the NTS biz last week when it was little more than a radio broadcast, and not as we now know it to be as part 1 of 'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL'TECHRE VOL. 1-4'. Pootube copycocked it within minutes, and the strike was noted as infringing on 'NTS Residency - Autechre'. Curiously, it wasn't for the whole duration of the recording, but only for the duration of... bqbqbq.

to be clear, not Max/MSP as such, I mean the giant network of coding that they've built WITHIN the program which seems to have locked them into a relatively limited palette of ideas/sounds, as they're using ONLY this custom programming/coding/setup within Max/MSP. something like 'draft 7.30' had so much more texture/variety/etc than all their work since 2012 imo.

this whole notion of "new ground" is quaint. this music sounds extremely fresh and ground-breaking to me; i certainly don't know of other examples that sound anything like what they've been up to the past few years. if they are taking their time here refining and exploring a certain system, that's a perfectly valid and interesting artistic experiment. and if one insists it isn't different enough, well "new ground" isn't the only purpose of an artistic work. furthermore, there is plenty of precedent of artists producing work that is longer, deeper and more singular over time. i mentioned coltrane earlier, take a look at that dude's progression -- his solos grew far more lengthy, almost insanely so, while at the same time he often repeated themes, took up motifs and scales and ideas again and again, re-imagined them, reconfigured them (you can find "my favorite things" and "giant steps" all through his entire recorded career. but if you just skipped through his solos and listened to random 30 second bits you could definitely play this "ugh, this is just the same thing, not much new ground here."

the new ae shit entails a different kind of listening than 94-98. if it's not some one's thing, cool whatever. i just hate this "oh they're only doing max there's no new ground" argument. the dudes are taking their time with this set-up and i for one think it's goddamn incredible.

You said it better than I ever could. I also feel that the enjoyment of their “music” at this point can suffer from over analysis. To me, ignorance is bliss - I simply have the lights dimmed, high end set of headphones, and my thoughts. Edited by Extralife

the new ae shit entails a different kind of listening than 94-98. if it's not some one's thing

pretty much sums it up for me. I can hear a ton of details and skill in the first session alone, but it's not totally my bag. 

We've got 6 more hours of stuff to look forward to though ;o 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj