IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

My first question to figure this out is: how the hell does NTS make money? The website has no ads. The shows that I've listened to (regularly catch Lukid and some random others) have no ads. NTS isn't a label, right? They put on events too, so there's some revenue, but is that their only source of revenue?

Weirdly they make money (well, cover their costs) from the DJs paying to host a show:

http://www.dummymag.com/features/the-rise-and-rise-of-nts-radio

That said, the community part of NTS’s identity is a nod to its set up. Anyone can involved, as long as you’ve got a good idea for a show. Show hosts play a small monthly fee for their place in the schedule to cover running costs, so the station effectively pays for itself without the need – or crucially, the desire – for on-air advertising.

My first question to figure this out is: how the hell does NTS make money? The website has no ads. The shows that I've listened to (regularly catch Lukid and some random others) have no ads. NTS isn't a label, right? They put on events too, so there's some revenue, but is that their only source of revenue?

Weirdly they make money (well, cover their costs) from the DJs paying to host a show:

That said, the community part of NTS’s identity is a nod to its set up. Anyone can involved, as long as you’ve got a good idea for a show. Show hosts play a small monthly fee for their place in the schedule to cover running costs, so the station effectively pays for itself without the need – or crucially, the desire – for on-air advertising.

odd, but hey this seems to be working out ok ??

it’s a good show

It would be insane if the NTS releases just kept building to greater heights

That would be an amazing accomplishment, especially if they're doing these sections are done in an ad hoc manner.

Roll on 5pm

I'm going with the "greater heights" theory for now

Secondly, my take on Sesh1 is the following. Fuckin' hell they've done it again! It's true that their music is not as groundbreaking as before & it seems that we've heard all these sounds before (elseq, AE_LIVE), but the level of sound manipulation is top notch. Nothing really comes close. These little manipulations of melody on North Spiral, when each bar differs is great. What I miss in general are heavy hitting moments (like Irlite or gorgeous oversteppish melodies). Of course, there are hooks here and there, but overall, I think that the NTS is even more autistic/internal than their older listens stuff. Music seems supercelebral. It requires attention and focus on the process and lacks the immediate short bursts  bliss (Altibzz anyone?). Alco mentiioned jazz as a reference and I agree. This is just not the Kind of Blue jazz, but more like On the Corner thingy! I'm sure it will grow on us. Just give it a bit more time and let it sink in. 

jazz is a perfect analogy in quite a few ways ... it's probably telling that I can't stand jazz (despite many listens over the decades), so maybe that's the problem

odd, but hey this seems to be working out ok

it’s a good show

lol yeah it is working well it seems. Thanks for posting that mcbpete, the people running it seem lovely. Going to have to think about this a bit more later...CAUSE IT'S TIME

Edited by auxien