IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

one big difference i'm noticing between this era (ae live to now) and exai: the material is mixed very differently. while there's obviously tons of reverb and who knows what else, the bass and bass drum sounds on exai sound thicker, compressed, and overall more processed, whereas almost all of the 2015-2018 material sounds much "flatter" or less EQ'd or something.

so even if exai is also somewhat generative (although it sounds like it has more deliberate, less chaotic elements) it seems as if something changed in their mixing process. any thoughts?

If you buy it on bleepstore you can download immediately; I got the 24-bit audio and converted to FLAC and tagged it.   Listening on Grado SR125s through a good USB DAC plus tube headphone amplifier it sounds great.

Not sure if I could detect a difference between the 24-bit and 16-bit lossless audio (or the MP3s for that matter) but it FEELS more high resolution, if nothing else  :emotawesomepm9: 

Frankly don't understand why Bleepstore doesn't give you properly tagged 24-bit FLAC files.  I also don't know what the master files were -- they could have just upsampled 16 bit audio for all I know.

they've made a point of specifying (since around Quaristice era IIRC?) that the files for sale are 24bit lossless, and in an interview i remeber them saying "the product" is essentially the lossless audio file, so theres no reason to believe there would be any upsampling in their process.

im not too savvy on the differences in formats/sampling rates tho

Edited by Marked x 0ne

Oh holy shit what a fucking head trip that was.

I MUST LISTEN AGAIN!!!!

I can't believe we have 4 more hours of this psychedelic audio insanity!!!

I thought I was going to be obsessed with session 1, but HOLY FUCKING HAEL - Session 2 is seriously completely mental. I love it!!!

Ahhhhh!!!!!!

If you buy it on bleepstore you can download immediately; Frankly don't understand why Bleepstore doesn't give you properly tagged 24-bit FLAC files.  I also don't know what the master files were -- they could have just upsampled 16 bit audio for all I know.

Welcome back from India, drillkicker

NTS 1 stood out more to me than 2 on first listen. it seems a little more coherent as a whole than 2 i think as well. although on 2 there is end of elyc9, sinistrail, wetgelis, so on. havent had time for all this to sink in and im curious about the last two.

Too much to take in tbh, it's a bit like the aphex soundcloud dump in terms of brute scale (which ive still not fully absorbed).

I know that id like to purchase the vinyl box however, when funds allow

fletcher yeah. i actually havent absorbed the ae_live stuff fully yet, but i think nts is maybe more easily absorbed. its not as dense and seems even a little easy listening-ish. i think its their most accessible thing in a long time but in terms of being 8 hrs it will take a while still compared to a normal album

one big difference i'm noticing between this era (ae live to now) and exai: the material is mixed very differently. while there's obviously tons of reverb and who knows what else, the bass and bass drum sounds on exai sound thicker, compressed, and overall more processed, whereas almost all of the 2015-2018 material sounds much "flatter" or less EQ'd or something.

so even if exai is also somewhat generative (although it sounds like it has more deliberate, less chaotic elements) it seems as if something changed in their mixing process. any thoughts?

I think Exai was the last time they had their crazy Max patch sequencing some actual hardware. Ever since then it's been all in the box. I think that accounts for the sound difference.

I think Exai was the last time they had their crazy Max patch sequencing some actual hardware. Ever since then it's been all in the box. I think that accounts for the sound difference.

Makes a lot of sense. I liked that chunkier punchier sound but it's interesting that they have such total control over the output now.

Might've got this completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember them saying in the aaa that for exai the synthesis was completely max, but they made an effort to program it to sound analogue.

Might've got this completely wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember them saying in the aaa that for exai the synthesis was completely max, but they made an effort to program it to sound analogue.

I kind of remember this. I wonder if this was about Oversteps. But it could be the same thing for Exai and they just didn't do it for the AE LIVE/etc. monsters.

Gah. Can you imagine having the brains to program all this shit, to make code that sounds analog. Fuuuck. Jealous of the AEminds.

I kind of remember this. I wonder if this was about Oversteps. But it could be the same thing for Exai and they just didn't do it for the AE LIVE/etc. monsters.

Yes. It was oversteps

NTS session2: Roberto and Simone, between the lines, have told us: "you broke those four balls with that crap of stagnant sound, the progression, the lazy random: if that's what you want, take it"