IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

gonk reminded me of the oversteps live set

Yes, very good catch. Maybe they pulled out some of the Elektron boxes? That snare and bass drum in gonk tuf hi sure could be from Machindrum or something? Doubt it but it's sure possible.

Just listening to NTS S2 for the first time since the stream this morning...still fucking good of course. dummy is fucking catchier than it should be.

Snare in violvoic is straight from AE_LIVE (of course, half of these sounds probably can be traced back there but yeah), I think the main beat may be a take from a section of it/modification of (much like north spiral).

one big difference i'm noticing between this era (ae live to now) and exai: the material is mixed very differently. while there's obviously tons of reverb and who knows what else, the bass and bass drum sounds on exai sound thicker, compressed, and overall more processed, whereas almost all of the 2015-2018 material sounds much "flatter" or less EQ'd or something.

so even if exai is also somewhat generative (although it sounds like it has more deliberate, less chaotic elements) it seems as if something changed in their mixing process. any thoughts?

I was thinking about this as well. Even compared to elseq NTS1 sounds a bit flat and midrangey, I guess? Like the big dub drop at 12:45 in north spiral should completely obliterate my headphones with bass, but it doesn't..

NTS2 is a little better, as are a few tracks from the first session, but I kinda feel like these were only very lightly mastered (if at all?). Or perhaps part of their philosophy/"end goal" is to make max patches that don't need mastering? Like, mastered/mixed on the fly?

Still fkn bangin' tracks though. There's so much variety here. I'm very happy. Can't wait to see how the rest of this series unfolds, and how they'll cram/interpret this stuff (if at all) into the upcoming live shows..

Holy shit.  Cannot wait to listen to v2

On an unrelated note, I just had a cool idea: "Twitch plays Autechre", which would instead be generically implemented as "Twitch plays Max/MSP" which any musician could use

Design:

>Webpage with some buttons, dials, drawing palettes, keyboards, erasers, I don't know I'm not a webdev.  But I'm sure someone could create an interactive palette that could be spammed with a limiter on each individual IP

>This webpage needs to generate a realtime stream of data representing the actions that occurred, keyboard events, dials signalling a change in generative texture or patch palette, things like this

>Anyone could download this stream, but in reality it would be downloaded by Sam and Bob and fed into a Max/MSP tool

>The Max/MSP tool would sanitize and interpret this stream and convert it into the user's desired Max/MSP events.  I assume Max/MSP has realtime networking capabilities

>The user would create a generative music Max/MSP patch which would be modified so its primary input method is the output signals of this stream interpreter

>User sets up a virtual machine running this internet-controlled Max/MSP patch and livestreams the video and audio online

This wouldn't be literally implemented over the twitch.tv chatbox but instaed over a custom interface, with the same general idea - user interaction online with an isolated service, with results being viewable.  It's also assuming AE's Max/MSP interface is designed in such a way that this even makes sense or is possible, but there's nothing stopping it from being theoretically possible on a sufficiently generically designed Max/MSP generative engine

Edited by Zeffolia

no (to both of the previous posts)

;)

(zeff there's someone who did something vaguely similar but much less controlled than you're describing with some modular/computer set up, left it running and controlled by listeners for hours)

checked instagram for new autechre posts and found this short interview from 1996 infront of the Sagrada church. Anyone seen this before ?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhd4EElHekH/?tagged=autechre

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhd4EElHekH/

That's from Universal Techno (clip taken from around 46 minutes in):

It's funny because I was kind of put off originally with the idea of an 8 hour long album because I always feel the tendency to start at the beginning of any given album, and so the last few tracks end up getting listened to the least.

This was particularly the case with elseq, but with NTS it seems like each record so far is it's own self-contained thing, with it's own self-contained feel. With elseq it felt more like one enormous album that was split up into 5 arbitrary chunks.

Where I'd basically never go "I think I'll listen to elseq 3 today", I could see myself deciding to play one of the sessions instead of feeling compelled to start from the beginning.

Basically, I like it.

Edited by thehauntingsoul

I was thinking about this as well. Even compared to elseq NTS1 sounds a bit flat and midrangey, I guess? Like the big dub drop at 12:45 in north spiral should completely obliterate my headphones with bass, but it doesn't..

NTS2 is a little better, as are a few tracks from the first session, but I kinda feel like these were only very lightly mastered (if at all?). Or perhaps part of their philosophy/"end goal" is to make max patches that don't need mastering? Like, mastered/mixed on the fly?

Still fkn bangin' tracks though. There's so much variety here. I'm very happy. Can't wait to see how the rest of this series unfolds, and how they'll cram/interpret this stuff (if at all) into the upcoming live shows..

Yes ... elseq seems to be the least flat out of this "trilogy" (I mean, they all have 4-5 parts or are different jams of the same material on AE LIVE but hey). And NTS2 definitely has more definition than NTS1, I agree. And you're also right ... not as much bass obliteration on these.

It's not a huge complaint, just something I noticed, though I like the "3D" feel of Exai and parts of elseq. That's part of what makes it feel a bit jammier and less perfected, like Quaristice tracks like The Plc and Tankakern. Though those have a bit more punch to them, maybe due to the hardware.

I do think these are mastered a bit quieter than some previous releases. They are definitely limited though. But I don't think it's just a mastering issue; the mixing is definitely different, and I'm sure they're not using nearly as much or any hardware gear at all.

Great tracks. I was second guessing my vinyl box purchase after hearing NTS1 but this is a great collection.

Really looking forward to the, uh, next two new Autechre albums in the next, uh, two weeks. lol.

Edited by lastrushup10

the mix is great, feels very direct and spatial at the same time. having less bass in them makes them sound louder because you naturally orientate on the bass when adjusting the volume so you turn it louder when there is less bass. but everyone is different there i guess

LOL at whoever suggested Autechre had gotten less bassy.  Listening on my cabinets.  Fucker is rattling my floors like no other record I've ever put on.

I'm going to tiptoe around it, NTS 2 is quickly in the running for best thing they've the breadth of tracks from completely mental to blissed out ambient to old school IDM and they're almost all perfection. 

my god violvoic

i can't process

it was during this that I started cackling like a madman both itt and irl last night.

LOL at whoever suggested Autechre had gotten less bassy.  Listening on my cabinets.  Fucker is rattling my floors like no other record I've ever put on.

I'll give it a listen on speakers tonight, but on my AIAIAI TMA-2s (which are usually very good at representing bass), tracks like north spiral don't really seem to have as much bass as they should. Granted, other tracks like four of seven and most of NTS2 are better in that regard, but just something I noticed. 

my god violvoic

i can't process

it was during this that I started cackling like a madman both itt and irl last night.

i caught myself actually laughing a few times during the run through of sesh 2

i keep forgetting we’re listening to two brand new autechre albums that are two hours long. and we’re only half way through. like what the fuck is going on

Savor the moment. It'll be back to bitching about the lack of new material in a month or two.