IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

9 chrO is the absolute highlight here for me. Good lord, I don't even know what to say about it. It's just so sickening.

i can't even begin to pick a fav. it's a literal journey

LOL at whoever suggested Autechre had gotten less bassy.  Listening on my cabinets.  Fucker is rattling my floors like no other record I've ever put on.

I'll give it a listen on speakers tonight, but on my AIAIAI TMA-2s (which are usually very good at representing bass), tracks like north spiral don't really seem to have as much bass as they should. Granted, other tracks like four of seven and most of NTS2 are better in that regard, but just something I noticed. 

ely9 7hres, six of eight, xflood, violvoic (just so far) are all as huge on the low end as anything I've ever put through my speakers.  You may be right about some the tracks on NTS1. 

LOL at whoever suggested Autechre had gotten less bassy. Listening on my cabinets. Fucker is rattling my floors like no other record I've ever put on.

I'm going to tiptoe around it, NTS 2 is quickly in the running for best thing they've the breadth of tracks from completely mental to blissed out ambient to old school IDM and they're almost all perfection.

As I and someone else said, the bass is certainly not as overwhelming, compressed or punchy as it is on other AE records. Especially on a couple of tracks where you expect it to be, like North Spiral. On my headphones which are very low/sub bass sensitive (maybe too much) it doesn't get the same response even as some rock records I have.

But we were also talking about mixing, compression, EQ and maybe most importantly, hardware usage; they probably stopped using outboard gear after Exai.

LOL at whoever suggested Autechre had gotten less bassy. Listening on my cabinets. Fucker is rattling my floors like no other record I've ever put on.

I'm going to tiptoe around it, NTS 2 is quickly in the running for best thing they've the breadth of tracks from completely mental to blissed out ambient to old school IDM and they're almost all perfection.

As I and someone else said, the bass is certainly not as overwhelming, compressed or punchy as it is on other AE records. Especially on a couple of tracks where you expect it to be, like North Spiral. On my headphones which are very low/sub bass sensitive (maybe too much) it doesn't get the same response even as some rock records I have.

But we were also talking about mixing, compression, EQ and maybe most importantly, hardware usage; they probably stopped using outboard gear after Exai.

As I said, I guess they expect the listener to be able to use volume control. If you want more bass you have to turn volume up and then all those higher sections punch you in the face. I like that

So just for clarity I have a vintage set up with an 8 watt tube amp and two 150 pound each cabinet speakers with 19" full range horns that are about 103 db efficient. I don't have a subwoofer.  I don't have bass or treble modifiers, just overall volume.  It's a system designed to have crystal clarity and depth of field. NTS 2 sounds remarkably natural and balanced. It's just the low end is fucking huge. It would give the mastering 10/10. It's amazing.

Oh and the three dimensional stereo quality is nuts too.

Edited by PlatrixECV

So just for clarity I have a vintage set up with an 8 watt tube amp and two 150 pound each cabinet speakers with 19" full range horns that are about 103 db efficient.  I don't have bass or treble modifiers, just overall volume.  It's a system designed to have crystal clarity and depth of field. NTS 2 sounds remarkably natural and balanced. It's just the low end is fucking huge. It would give the mastering 10/10. It's amazing.

I agree. It's perfectly balanced and the mix is just right how you would expect it from Autechre.

This is so unreal. I'm so glad I got the vinyl set. As many of you have said, I can't even process this. 

Sn nd Rb, m gd, thnks. 

So just for clarity I have a vintage set up with an 8 watt tube amp and two 150 pound each cabinet speakers with 19" full range horns that are about 103 db efficient. I don't have a subwoofer.  I don't have bass or treble modifiers, just overall volume.  It's a system designed to have crystal clarity and depth of field. NTS 2 sounds remarkably natural and balanced. It's just the low end is fucking huge. It would give the mastering 10/10. It's amazing.

10-4, copy hq. Similar setup here. ;o

On e0 the bass stabs are punch you in the face level tactile.  Great texture with the mellower elements of this track. And then bell is floating around in the stereo field like its in the wind (a windchime?) Glorious;

I don't think it has anything to do with hardware.. but let's not have a hardware vs. software discussion in here.

To be fair, I was talking about NTS1..

I hadn't listened to North Spiral on speakers yet so I put it on... I'd it had a plenty of lows and punch in the bass although i would describe the overall sound range as more .... condensed.  But it then opens up more around 11 minutes. There's just not as much bass/lows as basically everything on NTS2 and most of NTS1.

As an example the kicks that come in on Gonk starting around :20 are much deeper and rattling than anything on north spiral...

Edited by PlatrixECV

Woke up, read my way through here, thinking "what is life", "who am I", "what if I were a salad without ears". I think it's all too much for me. Also, my wife hates me coz my attention was... yknow

So just for clarity I have a vintage set up with an 8 watt tube amp and two 150 pound each cabinet speakers with 19" full range horns that are about 103 db efficient. I don't have a subwoofer. I don't have bass or treble modifiers, just overall volume. It's a system designed to have crystal clarity and depth of field. NTS 2 sounds remarkably natural and balanced. It's just the low end is fucking huge. It would give the mastering 10/10. It's amazing.

I hadn't listened to North Spiral on speakers yet so I put it on... I'd it had a plenty of lows and punch in the bass although i would describe the overall sound range as more .... condensed. But it then opens up more around 11 minutes. There's just not as much bass/lows as basically everything on NTS2 and most of NTS1.

As an example the kicks that come in on Gonk starting around :20 are much deeper and rattling than anything on north spiral...

Yeah, I was also talking about NTS1. Sorry for the confusion. And I'll say that there's definitely a huge difference between how the bass (esp. the sub/lower bass) sounds on NTS1 and Exai. It's not processed the same way - I'd say it sounds like there's some compression on Exai that isn't there on NTS1 or what I've heard of AE_LIVE.

Again, we have different setups so, (shrug)! NTS2 is an improvement in this field.

I'm going to quit my job, burn all my clothes and go live in the woods, naked, where I'll live out my days shitting and cumming into an old frisbee I found, and listen to dummy casual to work up the primal instincts required to forage for small berries and nuts for sustenance.

Every night at the crack of midnight I'll howl my best impressions of Autechre tunes to the moon so as to warn nearby predators of my lushness.

This release has broken me.

I'm going to quit my job, burn all my clothes and go live in the woods, naked, where I'll live out my days shitting and cumming into an old frisbee I found, and listen to dummy casual to work up the primal instincts required to forage for small berries and nuts for sustenance.

Every night at the crack of midnight I'll howl my best impressions of Autechre tunes to the moon so as to warn nearby predators of my lushness.

by the sounds of that you can look forward to meeting Logan Paul 

by the sounds of that you can look forward to meeting Logan Paul

Logan went into the suicide forest. thehauntingsoul sounds like he's just gonna go into the regular ol Woods of Broken Men.

"massive" seems inadequate to describe the last five minutes of violvoice. What's the next level? "Neutron star". I'm not certain light can escape from those slides - do we go "black hole"?

It's funny because I was kind of put off originally with the idea of an 8 hour long album because I always feel the tendency to start at the beginning of any given album, and so the last few tracks end up getting listened to the least.

This was particularly the case with elseq, but with NTS it seems like each record so far is it's own self-contained thing, with it's own self-contained feel. With elseq it felt more like one enormous album that was split up into 5 arbitrary chunks.

Where I'd basically never go "I think I'll listen to elseq 3 today", I could see myself deciding to play one of the sessions instead of feeling compelled to start from the beginning.

Basically, I like it.

Erm... I think your listening to Elseq wrong! I do get what you mean and Elseq does work well in one massive chunk and I've done that a few times... but honestly think you will get more out of it if you consider each one an e.p in a series. (Think they should have been released like that actually!)

Anyhow back on topic..looking forward to blasting NTS 2 in the car on way to work in a min!! :)

so i'm listening to l3_ctrl while i'm waiting for nts2 to download and trying to imagine nts2> nts1 being true

premature ejaculation

13ctrl was my immediate favorite from NTS 1 and mindblowing, and yah NTS2 almost everything is superior and it's not even close.