IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

Do you guys think this is just the new way they're going to do things from now on - not much marketing and pre-announcement and instead just drop a bunch of music all of a sudden through a live radio show.  Or is this a sort of side-piece to their properly Warp-marketed releases?  It seems too secret to be the only thing that's going to happen from now on, it's not even listed on bleep.com when normally a new AE release would be on the front page right there

Edited by Zeffolia

Do you guys think this is just the new way they're going to do things from now on - not much marketing and pre-announcement and instead just drop a bunch of music all of a sudden through a live radio show. Or is this a sort of side-piece to their properly Warp-marketed releases? It seems too secret to be the only thing that's going to happen from now on, it's not even listed on bleep.com when normally a new AE release would be on the front page right there

I really hope so... It's awesome having this little online listening party with all you awesome people on this awesome forum.

=P

Do you guys think this is just the new way they're going to do things from now on - not much marketing and pre-announcement and instead just drop a bunch of music all of a sudden through a live radio show.  Or is this a sort of side-piece to their properly Warp-marketed releases?  It seems too secret to be the only thing that's going to happen from now on, it's not even listed on bleep.com when normally a new AE release would be on the front page right there

well, this is called 'NTS Sessions' which implies it is some material made / curated special just for the radio show, so i don't think they consider it a new album as such like Exai was. more like some new jams for the tru fans.

i'm sure when they release a new album proper there will be the usual promotion for it.

well, this is called 'NTS Sessions' which implies it is some material made / curated special just for the radio show, so i don't think they consider it a new album as such like Exai was. more like some new jams for the tru fans.

i'm sure when they release a new album proper there will be the usual promotion for it.

impossible that would be way too much music like srsly nts is going to be in total 8h long. I wouldn't be surprised if the next album comes out around 2020 also people still havent fully digested elseq. Maybe they have a new deal with warp/bleep who knows and its easier and more personal to sell it threw their own webshop ,Aphex did the same.

Edited by Kavinsky

Do you guys think this is just the new way they're going to do things from now on - not much marketing and pre-announcement and instead just drop a bunch of music all of a sudden through a live radio show. Or is this a sort of side-piece to their properly Warp-marketed releases? It seems too secret to be the only thing that's going to happen from now on, it's not even listed on bleep.com when normally a new AE release would be on the front page right there

Imo the "proper album" concept is dead. When was the last time you bought a CD? Their recent output is masterwork status. Currently, I'm adopting the theory that NTS is album 14, with AE live constituting "twelb."

I've listened to both sessions twice now.

My impression so far is that this is the most easy-going and "accessible" material they've put out since Oversteps (although not nearly as easy-going as that of course).

None of the tracks seem as mind-bendingly complex as Exai, L-Event or (parts of) Elseq. Nor is any of it anywhere near as brutal, abrasive and uncompromising as the live shows (or again, parts of Elseq, I still find acdwn2 un-listenable). They all seem to have a pretty laid-back, easy to follow hip-hop groove, the overall sound is quite sparse. It's good background/working music that you can nod your head to.

Because it's less dense, it almost sounds a little "unfinished" to me, compared to Elseq and especially Exai (going back to that one is a real treat). None of this stuff really "moves" me, which is kind of the result of it being very easy-going. But for this very reason it is also very enjoyable, right from the first listen.

I do think the overall format of this and Elseq is very daring and exciting. I agree with some earlier comments saying that there is a lot less surprise when it comes to Autechre's sound design these days... kinda just the same thing over and over again... however, the way they are exploring how an artist can produce and release music is really fascinating. At this point, I don't expect their next release to sound much different. But I'm still really excited to see what weird ideas they come up with for how it will be released.

In saying that... the remaining 4 hours of this release could very well have some surprises too... 

I feel like they're just becoming more Autechre-ish than ever before.  It has always been, in my opinion, that a lot of the best AE moments are subtle little rhythm shifts and textural variations more than big things so to speak.  This is full to the brim with those.  Quarter-second increases in the harshness of a texture.  Subtle pitch modulations.  It's getting more and more dense.  violvoic is more "harsh" than anything else they've made from this perspective

I feel like they're just becoming more Autechre-ish than ever before.  It has always been, in my opinion, that a lot of the best AE moments are subtle little rhythm shifts and textural variations more than big things so to speak.  This is full to the brim with those.  Quarter-second increases in the harshness of a texture.  Subtle pitch modulations.  It's getting more and more dense.  violvoic is more "harsh" than anything else they've made from this perspective

I would have to agree with springymajig, just compare a track like violvoic with any elseq track, like elyc6 or feed1 and the sophistication is lower on viol i would say. Well sophistication might be the wrong word, that's kind of subjective, but all the nts tracks are definitely less dense and sparser than anything on elseq and so those rhythmic shifts and textural variations end up sparser too. however all that said, the nts changes are great in their own right, like on wetgelis and the bass stuff (plenty others) and they have atmosphere and beauty in a different way

Edited by coax

I've regarded this shift as very intentional since first listen of NTS1, these are very usable, employable, remix-friendly soundscapes moreso than usual. They can envelop as standalone tracks, but they are also very background (and royalties) friendly. I think this only adds and deepens their discography, and conforms adequately to streaming access.

As a result of a jammier arrangement scheme, the abundant subtleties of their music are very much to the fore. Feels very much like the typical composer shift to their late period work.

Edited by Roo

the nts tracks are definitely less dense and sparser than anything on elseq and so those rhythmic shifts and textural variations end up sparser too.

I'm not sure you and I are hearing the same music, as I would say the exact opposite is true. (For most of NTS vs elseq, not necessarily every track)

None of the tracks seem as mind-bendingly complex as Exai, L-Event or (parts of) Elseq. Nor is any of it anywhere near as brutal, abrasive and uncompromising as the live shows (or again, parts of Elseq, I still find acdwn2 un-listenable). They all seem to have a pretty laid-back, easy to follow hip-hop groove, the overall sound is quite sparse. It's good background/working music that you can nod your head to.

no.

no.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOO