IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

On first listen i liked e0 much more than on further listens. Now it seems almost New Age too me for some reason. Still a good track tho. Still can't believe we already got 4 hours of new Autechre and will get 4 more soon. It's a little bit exciting, no?

I had the idea that it is incorrect to evaluate the two about the novelty of the sounds. Probably until Oversteps they have oriented their research on always new sounds and different techniques, while now they have found a new route to follow: after have defined a very specific timbric category, which distinguishes them like a trademark, now they focus on the development of a specific project that allows them to manipulate and transform that trademark in real time. Even the repetition of parts already published, upsetting and changing its connotations is part of the idea, is their current goal, like the jazzman who reproposes over the years the ideas of his repertoire, but in so new and surprising forms, to be an evolution in all respects. The innovation should be seen in these terms, not in the context of past research (always different sounds and meticulous composition).

Yeah I've had similar thoughts about this and you might be right. And, yeah, I think this new stuff is about different things. The mixing, panning, and pacing are so much more refined and delicate than anything they've done since probably Quaristice.

Even emotionally/aesthetically it feels like a sharp departure from the recent stuff, even if it's reusing a lot of the same material. Their music has been rich with complex emotions from early on, but here it feels like those emotions are less diffuse, more distinct and luridly juxtaposed, deliberate in almost a cinematic way. There was some of that on Exai with e.g. T ess xi so maybe they are consciously trying to zero in on that.

I agree, and I find interesting the idea of a direct relationship, not too elusive, with the "classically" emotional aspect within the composition. In addition, never as in the case of these two sessions, there is an irreducible attention to the overall vision: just like a liveset, one gets the impression of listening to a unique work, divided into consequential acts, rather than a selection of songs.The new autechre play their synaptic pitfall on the definitive and prolonged immersion, rather than on chiselling temporal segments where every second must be saturated with the pieces of a fractal.

besides elseq for me its one of their most un-accessible releases, there is so much going on that i wish i had 2 more pairs of ears.

oh and regarding mindblowing electronic music i would definitely say opn (sound design is fking nxt lvl)

While NTS might not be their most accessible release to date, have you ever heard of this little album called Confield?

Edited by thehauntingsoul

besides elseq for me its one of their most un-accessible releases, there is so much going on that i wish i had 2 more pairs of ears.

oh and regarding mindblowing electronic music i would definitely say opn (sound design is fking nxt lvl)

While NTS might not be their most accessible release to date, have you ever heard of this little album called Confield?

I find Confield much much more accessible than the NTS sessions thus far.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

you need to practice more Stephen.

I think I prefer session 1 guys! 

so, with session 2 my rhythmic need is satiated. I would be ready, now, for a session that sinks into the bowels of sound, with the Onesix avant-garde elements brought to exasperation. Parmegiani and Ligeti under krack who fight in a cave, in the pleistocene.

Session 1 for me as well, just a smooth listen I know I'll listen to at least dozens of times.

Session 2 isn't far behind, has some brilliant tracks and an overall vibe, but maybe one too many of the 7hres, xflood, violvoic, etc. variants on the same release for me to get completely behind it, not as inclined to listen to it in full as often.

Edited by Roo

heh I was a little harsh last night, after a few wobbly pops. Boring is not a fair word to describe any of this.

apologies fair thread-goers.

I stand by the rest of what I said but take back the word boring. that was just rude.

no worries man. we all know you're canadian anyway...

and now we know you don't even like cornfield.

:/

I listened to session 1 through speakers for the first time yesterday and it went way up in my estimation. Going to leave it a few weeks before listening to session 2 again, I think I need to give each one some time to sink in.

i think these are kind of meant for speakers. i listened to session 2 a few times on headphones and didn't even know what i had until i played it on speakers. then i saw what people were talking about.

i had a wild party last night and i have a hard time typing but we listened to the whole nts sessions in one go

You throw the type of parties where everyone listens to four hours of intense Ae??

hell yeah bruh, while playing trackmania turbo on ps4 with a pool of booze and bush of weed all night

wild party = 4 hours of harsh rhythms + weed + video games. ivan is a true watmmer.

heh I was a little harsh last night, after a few wobbly pops. Boring is not a fair word to describe any of this.

apologies fair thread-goers.

I stand by the rest of what I said but take back the word boring. that was just rude.

no worries man. we all know you're canadian anyway...

and now we know you don't even like cornfield.

:/

I love Confield!

lol cornfields not so much, scarecrows and such.

just tuned in to session 2 I have no idea what track dis is but is sounding way more interesting than anythin from the 1st one imo

edit: nvm what the fuck is all dis bleep bloop shit where is my reverb fix

edit2: I think I'm gonna stick to the new caretaker release for a while.. is way more compelling to my brain atm

Edited by MIXL2

just tuned in to session 2 I have no idea what track dis is but is sounding way more interesting than anythin from the 1st one imo

edit2: I think I'm gonna stick to the new caretaker release for a while.. is way more compelling to my brain atm

https://thecaretaker.bandcamp.com/album/everywhere-at-the-end-of-time

?

?

yea? the last 4 tracks on there came out 10 days ago and are absolute bliss n mind bend if you have been following the release

not interested in derailing this thread, carry on..

(I do hope the release doesnt get lost under the ae hype tho! it's something else..)

edit: for reference

Edited by MIXL2

?

yea? the last 4 tracks on there came out 10 days ago and are absolute bliss n mind bend if you have been following the release

not interested in derailing this thread, carry on..

(I do hope the release doesnt get lost under the ae hype tho! it's something else..)

edit: for reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gahbDemo-I

Right on, was just checking to see I had the correct release.

Seems there's a few artists with the name 'Caretaker'

**cheers*