IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

besides elseq for me its one of their most un-accessible releases, there is so much going on that i wish i had 2 more pairs of ears.

oh and regarding mindblowing electronic music i would definitely say opn (sound design is fking nxt lvl)

While NTS might not be their most accessible release to date, have you ever heard of this little album called Confield?

I find Confield much much more accessible than the NTS sessions thus far.

While this conversation is at jeopardy of disappearing down the bumhole of subjectivity, I really can't understand how you'd find Confield more accessible. It has almost no similar sounds/rhythms/melodies to any other semi-mainstream music. NTS has a pile of tracks that one might boil down to "A bunch of strange autechre-like sounds threaded together by a relatively traditional electro/techno beat".

North Spiral, Gonk Steady One and Four of Seven, Six of Eight, would all sound slightly familiar to someone who had a background in other electronic genres.

The only mainstream touchstones I can think of in Confield is like the first 8 seconds of pen expers.

I listened to session 1 through speakers for the first time yesterday and it went way up in my estimation. Going to leave it a few weeks before listening to session 2 again, I think I need to give each one some time to sink in.

i think these are kind of meant for speakers. i listened to session 2 a few times on headphones and didn't even know what i had until i played it on speakers. then i saw what people were talking about.

i have to agree. most of these new tracks have that ultra dry sound of the AE LIVE stuff. meant to sound nice & clear when played at high volume thru speakers in a concert venue / room. it suffers a bit when listening thru headphones.

besides elseq for me its one of their most un-accessible releases, there is so much going on that i wish i had 2 more pairs of ears.

oh and regarding mindblowing electronic music i would definitely say opn (sound design is fking nxt lvl)

While NTS might not be their most accessible release to date, have you ever heard of this little album called Confield?

I find Confield much much more accessible than the NTS sessions thus far.

While this conversation is at jeopardy of disappearing down the bumhole of subjectivity, I really can't understand how you'd find Confield more accessible. It has almost no similar sounds/rhythms/melodies to any other semi-mainstream music. NTS has a pile of tracks that one might boil down to "A bunch of strange autechre-like sounds threaded together by a relatively traditional electro/techno beat".

North Spiral, Gonk Steady One and Four of Seven, Six of Eight, would all sound slightly familiar to someone who had a background in other electronic genres.

The only mainstream touchstones I can think of in Confield is like the first 8 seconds of pen expers.

yea iunno wtf u smokin stephG

i had a wild party last night and i have a hard time typing but we listened to the whole nts sessions in one go

You throw the type of parties where everyone listens to four hours of intense Ae??

hell yeah bruh, while playing trackmania turbo on ps4 with a pool of booze and bush of weed all night
wild party = 4 hours of harsh rhythms + weed + video games. ivan is a true watmmer.

Word. Wish I had friends who could get behind a party like this.

I love when people make critical declarations on Ae material without having spent enough time with it.

by which I mean it's extremely retardée and you should stfu.

I know it's been said many times, many ways, but we have 4 hours' worth of a new Autechre release. And it's only half god damn done. This shit is gonna take like 6 months to even begin to form any real critical opinions on as a whole. 

We are so spoiled right now. Chances are pretty good that when all is revealed, there will be something for everyone. By which I mean everyone now as well as everyone later (except maybe the "everything after Amber sucks" crowd and even those prigs can probably get behind four of seven). Gonk on y'all.

I know it's been said many times, many ways, but we have 4 hours' worth of a new Autechre release. And it's only half god damn done. This shit is gonna take like 6 months to even begin to form any real critical opinions on as a whole. 

We are so spoiled right now. Chances are pretty good that when all is revealed, there will be something for everyone. By which I mean everyone now as well as everyone later (except maybe the "everything after Amber sucks" crowd and even those prigs can probably get behind four of seven). Gonk on y'all.

Those guys have 3 very long tracks now

Speaking of which: went for a drink with someone on Saturday in an area I don't normally hang out in. The route I headed home by took me along Regents Canal after dark. It was the absolute perfect setting for the 2nd half of NTSS2, particularly that last track.

GpZGmRH.jpg4amWk94.jpgaAFzM6E.jpg

Speaking of which: went for a drink with someone on Saturday in an area I don't normally hang out in. The route I headed home by took me along Regents Canal after dark. It was the absolute perfect setting for the 2nd half of NTSS2, particularly that last track.

walked that route a number of times late at night (next to london zoo)...a bit on the scary side...im sure the nts made it even more surreal 

it has been too much for me since about halfway trough the aphex sc dump.. I haven't been able to keep up at all with releases at all man... how do u guys do it?

Oh look, it's the Woods of Broken Men™

I find it pretty damn impossible to get 2 hours where I can sit and absorb session#2.

Not managed to listen through from start to finish yet- and there are at least 3 tracks i've not heard at all.

Got 2 more hours of this coming in 3 days time!

OVERWHELMED

Never felt like this before with new Ae

Oh wait we are just half the journey

Edited by autechrist

Monday morning with NTS S2 bumping on the home system (currently on dummy casual pt2, yuss). All this talk about putting down the cans and listening on speakers is dead on the money. It really does benefit being absorbed in an open space rather than a cosy listen in headphones. In an ideal world, some forward-thinking sound system crew should be banging out NTS at Notting Hill Carnival this summer...

watch yer baess bins bins bins

it has been too much for me since about halfway trough the aphex sc dump.. I haven't been able to keep up at all with releases at all man... how do u guys do it?

Take advantage of the mania when it strikes and don't worry when it doesn't.

After listening to the two sessions again, I’m convinced we’re in a golden age for the Autechres. Sure, there was a kind of detail and distillation in their earlier music that was amazing, but this stuff is just so euphoric and baddass and hyper detailed in its own way. And it’s mindblowing how much varied, event-ful musically imaginative material their system can produce. I mean, here we suddenly have hours and hours of content over a short period, most of which is far more interesting and pure spirited and uncompromisingly playful and fierce than anything most other main guards are doing at the moment! How cool is that? I love the labyrinthine nature of all of this; the sheer amount of deep content is a positive thing, not negative. I love how it’s gone from 2, to 4 to 8 hours now - like an endless pit of interesting sonic organisms. I don’t like every track or sound approach on the collection, but overall this Ae era totally oozes invention and quality.

Edited by Lianne

e0 sounds so Coilsh to me. The tone of underlying beat is so smooth and lush... I'm just swamped in emotions and don't mind the lack of progression. This is the moon musick, musick to play in the dark! 

when Exai came out, I found it really tough to listen to the whole thing in one go - all the details seemed to blur together and I didn't know how to approach an album with that kind of running time. now, we already have twice the amount of material but it doesn't seem as menacing or inaccessible to me - quite the opposite actually. I've been listening to both sessions every day now in all kinds of scenarios and they seem to go by really fast. In terms of track2track flow, I think the NTS sessions are much better than elseq. Needless to say, I've also fallen in love with Exai since.

e0 sounds so Coilsh to me. The tone of underlying beat is so smooth and lush... I'm just swamped in emotions and don't mind the lack of progression. This is the moon musick, musick to play in the dark! 

this

when Exai came out, I found it really tough to listen to the whole thing in one go - all the details seemed to blur together and I didn't know how to approach an album with that kind of running time. now, we already have twice the amount of material but it doesn't seem as menacing or inaccessible to me - quite the opposite actually. I've been listening to both sessions every day now in all kinds of scenarios and they seem to go by really fast. In terms of track2track flow, I think the NTS sessions are much better than elseq. Needless to say, I've also fallen in love with Exai since.

i agree with a lot of this. part of it might be, like alco said, normalizing extremes. but yea, i think this material flows better than elseq and is much more playful and open from the first listen.