IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

^ cue'd for days on soulseek now lol 

been rinsing the rayban boiler room in prep and really looking forward to a listen later on tonight.  The internet doesnt seem to agree with the album at first but im keen for some songs with vocals, thought that Animals was stand out on GoD but maybe the video of old mate nodding out made it

decided to fuck off and listen to this and worry about today later.  Sounding great so far, vocals are very cool, compositions are great, a little more considered and maybe less of these epic virtuoso solos then i expected (so far) but he still pulls out these classic opn synth sounds here and there, you know the great synth freak is still trapped inside this canne soundtrack winning version of Lopatin who is kicking all kinds of goals in the real world and good on him.  

Toys2 is about to get a rewind, that break with the cut piano/synth is all time. 

Can see this trend like this and james blakes car single really pushing a different kind of darker pop.. Is that already happening? I dunno.  Will be interesting to hear this new kanye, new jblake, death grips and other modern or cutting edge stuff to see where this sits..

hmmmm

sounds like a mess but not a good mess like g.o.d

lots of interesting sounds and textures, just never really seems to gel. This rip is crap quality though so maybe it will sound more cohesive in wav

'age of' and 'we'll take it' are nice but nothing else has captivated me so far

overall to me it sounds way more jazzy and experimental than i was expecting. Wish he'd left the singing out entirely, would have been a much more fun trip to just ride through these rambling disjointed jazzy numbers without the interspersed pop ditties. 

i dont mean to be a buzzkill because im sure lots of folks will like this album more than me and that's super cool, but having listened to my super special vinyl a few times now i agree with this - i feel like his weird superstar status is leading daniel to punch way above his weight. the concepts behind replica and r plus seven could have fueled a few more classics imo, and while im super happy to see the dude continuing to experiment im definitely left with a feeling that a lot of it is a little... dumb

still, nothing else out there really sounding like this. 100% a worthy listen however you end up coming down on it

hmmmm

sounds like a mess but not a good mess like g.o.d

lots of interesting sounds and textures, just never really seems to gel. This rip is crap quality though so maybe it will sound more cohesive in wav

'age of' and 'we'll take it' are nice but nothing else has captivated me so far

overall to me it sounds way more jazzy and experimental than i was expecting. Wish he'd left the singing out entirely, would have been a much more fun trip to just ride through these rambling disjointed jazzy numbers without the interspersed pop ditties. 

We'll Take It stands out as best track to me on first listen.

agreed, enjoying the album as a whole but that track is def the standout

few more thoughts after a few listens today

Didnt mind the smaller promo build up to this album. I imagine there will be a bit more press coming but the promo on insta, twitter and youtube has been pretty cool for a change and really enjoy the interviews with him as he is just a bit of a nerd. Whether or not all the insta/twitter promo was all planned it doesnt matter cause we almost got a mood board and set of references the LP was being made from which is always cool to see.  

GoD really leant itself on the blogs and funny websites and back story that they made which I loved but this is a cool one despite being quite different.. The Live shows + work with David Rudnick has been awesome, got to be one of the best looking Warp releases in years and totally suits the album, cant wait for my preorder to arrive with the card, might even have to grab a CD after seeing how good they look.  Funny to see a few people are upset they pre-ordered this, not sure what they were hoping for.

I wonder if people would be more open to his work if he release more frequenctly, 3ish years between albums is a bit of time by todays standard but guess he does a hell of a lot of collab and commissions work which is great for him but comes out as a bit less content for the average consumers.  Already super keen to hear any follow up and outtakes or proper recordings of the livesets.. Hope they are recording them for release.

Musically this is a real trip.. Lots of fun and a hell of a lot to get through.. Wonderfully produced, would love to hear the mixes before j Blake came in for the sake of it. I found some of the Goodtime OST to be a little dense and sometimes hard on the ears during the heavy sections but thi new album sounds really nice, looking forward to the vinyl. 

Its full of classic OPN sounds and signature chords and melodies that I had hoped for, Raycats nails this.  The autotuned vocals are great, he seemed to understand they might be divisive, maybe why he split the album up into 2 EPs with the second half being a very distinct follow up to GoD in sound and composition.  

Its cutting edge, as you expect from Warp, its a great use of modern synths and tech to still bring out this vibe that runs through OPNs music. I think of it as this nostalgia for a technological utopia that is either on the verge of coming to fruition or was promised and kinda collapsed whilst in our fingertips but there is some sort of hope or redemption going on.  It dips its toes in the 80s through threads to hypnagoic pop or vaporwave but kind of reduces synth pop back even further to focus on these medieval themes / melodies similar to some John Maus in a way, his new album and the new James Ferraro '4 works' all seem to be touching on similar themes musically and slightly overlap conceptually, maybe a bit less Maus here but all three might be 3 of the best albums so far this year.

Anyones thoughts on this vs new Ferraro new album in sound and theme?  Would love to hear a interview with the 2 of them talking about music and their approaches to see how they differ.

Its that thought which makes me wonder if OPN could be putting out an LP of this quality every year. 

Ferraro is fairly prolific but is more involved in the art world and seems to live through a lot of artists residencies and installations where Opn seems to be working a little more independently on projects or with projects that just seem to take time to come out through the nature of them eg films + releasing on (what might as well be) a major label.  

Would be cool to see him put out more tunes like Ferraro, he has the fan base to have a really successful bandcamp which is the hardest part about releasing a lot of music..  Seems as tho he is going down a different path of producing for others + films and tv work which is also cool, maybe at his age he is largely done with a lot of touring and all that which is a lot easier while younger and less pinned down

wow! looks like warp managed to clean up soulseek. Can't find any downloads for age of anymore, were quite a few up there last night. 

opn-ageof-card01sml1puuf.png

bonvervan supporting independent record stores since 19XX

Note: Bleep aren't dishing these out with their preorders. I know, I know. But now.. you know.

Edited by jasondonervan

wow! looks like warp managed to clean up soulseek. Can't find any downloads for age of anymore, were quite a few up there last night. 

wait , how is this even possible ?

btw i bet some people are buying it just because of the cover

Edited by Kavinsky

just heard it on second listen, it feels like a daytime opn album and the good time ost a nocturnal opn...think i might prefer good time ost over all :O 

Parts of this are really stunning but I otherwise find it hit and miss personally. GOD and R Plus were otherwise consistently gripping for me personally. Would love to hear this without the vocals at times. I really appreciate how intricate it is though, almost every sound is introduced by another or is running in tandem with something else - very alive.

it is not possible to clean up soulseek

I don't know i was just checking soulseek this morning and everything had disappeared. Maybe its back now

I guess you could message the users and tell them not to seed it but apart from that i guess there isn't really a way to stop it being seeded.