Sign in to follow this  
someguy

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

few more thoughts after a few listens today

Didnt mind the smaller promo build up to this album. I imagine there will be a bit more press coming but the promo on insta, twitter and youtube has been pretty cool for a change and really enjoy the interviews with him as he is just a bit of a nerd. Whether or not all the insta/twitter promo was all planned it doesnt matter cause we almost got a mood board and set of references the LP was being made from which is always cool to see.  

GoD really leant itself on the blogs and funny websites and back story that they made which I loved but this is a cool one despite being quite different.. The Live shows + work with David Rudnick has been awesome, got to be one of the best looking Warp releases in years and totally suits the album, cant wait for my preorder to arrive with the card, might even have to grab a CD after seeing how good they look.  Funny to see a few people are upset they pre-ordered this, not sure what they were hoping for.

I wonder if people would be more open to his work if he release more frequenctly, 3ish years between albums is a bit of time by todays standard but guess he does a hell of a lot of collab and commissions work which is great for him but comes out as a bit less content for the average consumers.  Already super keen to hear any follow up and outtakes or proper recordings of the livesets.. Hope they are recording them for release.

Musically this is a real trip.. Lots of fun and a hell of a lot to get through.. Wonderfully produced, would love to hear the mixes before j Blake came in for the sake of it. I found some of the Goodtime OST to be a little dense and sometimes hard on the ears during the heavy sections but thi new album sounds really nice, looking forward to the vinyl. 

Its full of classic OPN sounds and signature chords and melodies that I had hoped for, Raycats nails this.  The autotuned vocals are great, he seemed to understand they might be divisive, maybe why he split the album up into 2 EPs with the second half being a very distinct follow up to GoD in sound and composition.  

Its cutting edge, as you expect from Warp, its a great use of modern synths and tech to still bring out this vibe that runs through OPNs music. I think of it as this nostalgia for a technological utopia that is either on the verge of coming to fruition or was promised and kinda collapsed whilst in our fingertips but there is some sort of hope or redemption going on.  It dips its toes in the 80s through threads to hypnagoic pop or vaporwave but kind of reduces synth pop back even further to focus on these medieval themes / melodies similar to some John Maus in a way, his new album and the new James Ferraro '4 works' all seem to be touching on similar themes musically and slightly overlap conceptually, maybe a bit less Maus here but all three might be 3 of the best albums so far this year.

Anyones thoughts on this vs new Ferraro new album in sound and theme?  Would love to hear a interview with the 2 of them talking about music and their approaches to see how they differ.

ah I see we’ve reached the point of the thread where we’re posting opn’s airbnb messages. cool, normal.

lol

Us cynical types in chat wondered if Ferraro heard the previews of this and knocked up his new one in a week.

It's fucking great though

Its that thought which makes me wonder if OPN could be putting out an LP of this quality every year. 

Ferraro is fairly prolific but is more involved in the art world and seems to live through a lot of artists residencies and installations where Opn seems to be working a little more independently on projects or with projects that just seem to take time to come out through the nature of them eg films + releasing on (what might as well be) a major label.  

Would be cool to see him put out more tunes like Ferraro, he has the fan base to have a really successful bandcamp which is the hardest part about releasing a lot of music..  Seems as tho he is going down a different path of producing for others + films and tv work which is also cool, maybe at his age he is largely done with a lot of touring and all that which is a lot easier while younger and less pinned down

wow! looks like warp managed to clean up soulseek. Can't find any downloads for age of anymore, were quite a few up there last night. 

opn-ageof-card01sml1puuf.png

bonvervan supporting independent record stores since 19XX

Note: Bleep aren't dishing these out with their preorders. I know, I know. But now.. you know.

Edited by jasondonervan

wow! looks like warp managed to clean up soulseek. Can't find any downloads for age of anymore, were quite a few up there last night. 

wait , how is this even possible ?

btw i bet some people are buying it just because of the cover

Edited by Kavinsky

it is not possible to clean up soulseek

remember when r+7 leaked? wasnt that like 4 months ahead? still love it to bits

also why is autotuning still a thing? vocoders are much cooler grr

just heard it on second listen, it feels like a daytime opn album and the good time ost a nocturnal opn...think i might prefer good time ost over all :O 

Parts of this are really stunning but I otherwise find it hit and miss personally. GOD and R Plus were otherwise consistently gripping for me personally. Would love to hear this without the vocals at times. I really appreciate how intricate it is though, almost every sound is introduced by another or is running in tandem with something else - very alive.

it is not possible to clean up soulseek

I don't know i was just checking soulseek this morning and everything had disappeared. Maybe its back now

I guess you could message the users and tell them not to seed it but apart from that i guess there isn't really a way to stop it being seeded. 

It's back on Soulseek. I've only heard the first 2 minutes so far, but this is already great stuff.

Edited by Jaazeps

First half of Toys 2 has My Heart Will Go On in it just a few notes removed. Anyone else noticed? Intentional?

yes yes yes. It bothers me so much. Only heard it on the live recording so far, but I was confused

Having heard the whole album now, I can't believe the tepid to negative reaction it's getting here. This is easily my favorite thing he's put out since Replica. People are saying that it sounds like a mess, but I think R Plus Seven was way more all over the place. Garden of Delete was great, but I love how everything here feels so casually tense and restrained whereas Garden of Delete was a lot more aggressive. Maybe I won't think so after a few listens, but I've never heard an album that's made me feel quite this way before.

Still waiting on higher quality. Finding it hard to get lost in the music with these shitty mp3s

One thing that's irking me is that the best tracks imo happen to be the shortest ones. In garden of delete the songs would keep improving as they went along, just kept going to another level.

Here it seems like a great idea just peters out.

He's got more adept at using Omnisphere.

im about halfway.. it really bothers me how little intensity this has compared to say, americans or mutant standard so far... def much more structured songs in this album.. perhaps he saw that guys vid on arrangement and took it to heart

edit: the tracks feel so short too! iunno I will need to hear this more.. upon first listen warning stands out to me as most memorable

Edited by MIXL2

Nothing.

Edited by ambient

opn is one of my fav. artists but so far this release is a huge letdown for me , most of the tracks are just annoying mashups of sounds , i think he lost himself in experiments and forgot how to make music. Its the same with the last  mouse on mars record where they tried to make something completely unique with all kind of new approaches and lost themselves in "avantgardnes", in the end its the worst music they ever made.

small note: i´m not a fan of disruptive music so that may contribute aswell

Edited by Kavinsky

Kavinsky hates it

Confirmed good album

Waiting on StephenG's review now for further confirmation

Kavinsky hates it

Confirmed good album

Waiting on StephenG's review now for further confirmation

why is it a good album if i dont like it so far ?