IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

"Since there will be NO pre-release album stream on this one, Amoeba San Francisco is THE place to hear it! In addition, you'll be able to purchase the album a day before it's officially available to the public. Plus, with the purchase of Age Of you'll get a character card, limited to 2,000 pieces worldwide, or a 12"x12" art print of the album cover. It's very suitable for framing and limited to 1,000 pieces worldwide."

"Daniel Lopatin’s eighth album as Oneohtrix Point Never finds him splitting the difference between the synth-based abstraction of his previous albums and a more visceral, abrasive style. While neither of these are bad templates to work from per se, the result is an album that doesn’t know what it wants to be."

musicOMH

"Anyone casually lurking might call him a hack – albeit one with a good work ethic (his latest release is something like his 15th overall, discounting last year’s Good Time film score and countless other extra-curricular activities). Genius, for what it’s worth, is usually coterminous with what some might consider disgrace, and OPN – genius or not – is one of today’s great musical disgraces. Like other artists with unending inventories of main releases, documents, and other ephemera (Nurse With Wound, John Coltrane, Merzbow), OPN makes a point to stay busy. What’s more, his audience follows regardless.

Just like label mates Aphex Twin and Autechre, you’re typically left exhausted by an album’s end. The music itself sounds fatigued, worn thin by the elements. A cult figure among the YouTube generation, Lopatin’s erratic style – from pulsing electronica to new age serenity within moments, sometimes simultaneously – imitates the velocity and vulgarity of a 30-minute Vine compilation. Repeated listens of his latest offering ‘Age Of’ has a similarly numbing effect. The whole world and all of history physically passes by– yelling, caressing, judging, pummelling, hand-shaking – in much the super-accelerated fashion at which the age of information seems to be travelling."

i just hope the album is filled with those detuned harpsichord and gusheng sounds like on the first track i heard, that is so fuckin trippy

also hope for travis scott yelling "yeah" and "straight up" on the entire album

It's not a bad album by any means,  I still enjoy it quite a bit and I think it will continue to grow on me. However, it has a slightly less cohesive feel and there are some weaker moments that in comparison make it seem like a weaker release in comprison to R+7 and GoD, which were both probably his best releases to date.

Edited by ghOsty

I havent heard the leak, but, since we have the set list for Myriad, what do people think about the track order... published version VS. Myriad chronological/era-based order? Is the flow better one way than the other?

Babylon and Warning are straight up unlistenable while Toys 2 and we'll take it are quite good. The rest is pretty forgettable, but I'm admittedly not a big fan. Just like to hear what he's up to. R + 7 is a great album front to back.

Somehow this just isn't 'weird' enough for me. I'm a little surprised by the auto tune. Maybe a move to be more accessible? Or maybe he just likes it. 

Babylon and Warning are straight up unlistenable while Toys 2 and we'll take it are quite good. The rest is pretty forgettable, but I'm admittedly not a big fan. Just like to hear what he's up to. R + 7 is a great album front to back.

Somehow this just isn't 'weird' enough for me. I'm a little surprised by the auto tune. Maybe a move to be more accessible? Or maybe he just likes it.

He wanted to add vocals, but isn't a trained singer and can't sing without going out of tune. I've done the same thing; it's useful to be able to express yourself with your voice without adding the cringe-factor of off-pitch vocals

"The whole thing is so beautiful and strange and off-kilter and absorbing — a lovely and insular personal pop album, warped beyond all recognition. In its combination of contentment and dread, it feels weirdly resonant in a late-capitalist America where we always feel like we can see societal collapse coming around the next bend in the road. It’s a poignant reminder that those lights in that beautiful Chicago skyline won’t be glittering forever."

Album of the week (stereogum)