IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

ghOsty, on 29 May 2018 - 7:53 PM, said:

It's not a bad album by any means, I still enjoy it quite a bit and I think it will continue to grow on me. However, it has a slightly less cohesive feel and there are some weaker moments that in comparison make it seem like a weaker release in comprison to R+7 and GoD, which were both probably his best releases to date.

Friendly Stranger, on 29 May 2018 - 8:30 PM, said:

Babylon and Warning are straight up unlistenable while Toys 2 and we'll take it are quite good. The rest is pretty forgettable, but I'm admittedly not a big fan. Just like to hear what he's up to. R + 7 is a great album front to back.

Somehow this just isn't 'weird' enough for me. I'm a little surprised by the auto tune. Maybe a move to be more accessible? Or maybe he just likes it.

Frank Poole, on 29 May 2018 - 9:04 PM, said:

I was really hoping for intense moments, a la Mutant Standard. I'll give it a few more listens but overall I'm pretty underwhelmed.

yes

edit: feels a bit dumb to keep promoting it more but ayway.. if anyone hasn't heard the new caretaker album it has been blowing my mind consistently for two months now soon, feels like james caught a sound miles ahead of pop-opn

Edited by MIXL2

"The whole thing is so beautiful and strange and off-kilter and absorbing — a lovely and insular personal pop album, warped beyond all recognition. In its combination of contentment and dread, it feels weirdly resonant in a late-capitalist America where we always feel like we can see societal collapse coming around the next bend in the road. It’s a poignant reminder that those lights in that beautiful Chicago skyline won’t be glittering forever."

Album of the week (stereogum)

ugh “weirdly resonant in a late capitalist america”

ワンオートリックス・ポイント・ネヴァー

01kypbr.png

026hpbu.png

034bqbr.png

046fp2k.png

06exooo.png

077ury2.png

Noice to have a physical compact disctigal vionel arrive! :music:

I have zero interest in opn but I will say that this art direction is dope as shit. everything I've seen from this album looks amazing.

Babylon and Warning are straight up unlistenable while Toys 2 and we'll take it are quite good. The rest is pretty forgettable, but I'm admittedly not a big fan. Just like to hear what he's up to. R + 7 is a great album front to back.

Somehow this just isn't 'weird' enough for me. I'm a little surprised by the auto tune. Maybe a move to be more accessible? Or maybe he just likes it. 

Only heard snapshots so far, but i don't get the auto-tune either; tbh i was hoping it was just a one-off for Black Snow. Looking forward to the dope t-shirt more than anything else; R+7 is still the pinnacle for me.

"Anyone casually lurking might call him a hack – albeit one with a good work ethic (his latest release is something like his 15th overall, discounting last year’s Good Time film score and countless other extra-curricular activities). Genius, for what it’s worth, is usually coterminous with what some might consider disgrace, and OPN – genius or not – is one of today’s great musical disgraces. Like other artists with unending inventories of main releases, documents, and other ephemera (Nurse With Wound, John Coltrane, Merzbow), OPN makes a point to stay busy. What’s more, his audience follows regardless.

Just like label mates Aphex Twin and Autechre, you’re typically left exhausted by an album’s end. The music itself sounds fatigued, worn thin by the elements. A cult figure among the YouTube generation, Lopatin’s erratic style – from pulsing electronica to new age serenity within moments, sometimes simultaneously – imitates the velocity and vulgarity of a 30-minute Vine compilation. Repeated listens of his latest offering ‘Age Of’ has a similarly numbing effect. The whole world and all of history physically passes by– yelling, caressing, judging, pummelling, hand-shaking – in much the super-accelerated fashion at which the age of information seems to be travelling."

This is the second time I've seen this magazine referenced this week, really enjoying what I've encountered so far. Taking this review with a grain of salt but I find it's stance and scope refreshing.

this sounds exactly like the last bon iver record. i guess since it's opn it's about "late stage capitalism" and there's some brilliant concept behind it but even the art is like the bon iver record. 

Edited by zaphod

this sounds exactly like the last bon iver record. i guess since it's opn it's about "late stage capitalism" and there's some brilliant concept behind it but even the art is like the bon iver record.

maybe opn also got an op1 and is obsessing about it, it does sound like an op1-made album

Been a long ol' while since a JD review has hit the boards at WATMM towers, but having run through AO a fair few times, I may consider doing so for posterity. Being a self-appointed OPN superfan, my critical words on a new work probably hold about as much water as a thimble to some here, but I can at least commit to giving it a fair and honest crack of the whip.

Edited by jasondonervan

It's not like he can't take it, he just won't like it.

fuck i think i overshot with my p4k rating, it's rare that they rate higher than other publications especially when it comes to stalwarts like OPN and autechre (god they are pricks to ae)

EDIT: unless it's a really obvious klassik then they don't want to look dumb

once again i retract an opinion in this thread and i am now offering 7.6. i know someone already picked this number so if it's on point you win all the gold.

P4K are suckers for autotune so they will give it a 9.1

Norman Records

Harpsichord! Daniel Lopatin has used a harpsichord, and it’s all over the opening, title track of this latest Oneohtrix Point Never opus which he has somewhat open-endedly named ‘Age Of’. Scarlatti has been summoned from the grave to party with Vangelis. This is OPN however, and Lopatin has used all manner of instruments in order to add that little extra touch of the Baroque, to that most baroque among electronic producers. Whatever Lopatin does though, he has always been able to reach out from within the notes, digits and grooves of his work and grasp you by the lapels to shake you out of your torpor; even if that sometimes wasn’t strictly necessary.

There are voices on this record. There are human voices, I mean (albeit by turns skewed, skewered and screwed) -- Prurient pops up three times(!), notably on track two, ‘Babylon’; adding (an alien) warmth to a body of work that can, I think, sound a touch mystifying. There’s Anohni also, on four tracks: the creeping ‘Black Snow’ (lyrically inspired, apparently by the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit: isn’t that so Oneohtrix? Such japes!) Garden of Delete sometimes seems such a long way behind us, out of sight of the rear view mirror even… Perhaps it’s due in no small part to the input of James Blake; his additional production and mixing desk duties have imbued a smooth soul sheen to certain passages: the space-ballad 'Toys 2’ slinks with a suave grace. There’s a low-key lurk always there however, hovering, frolicking; purposefully, out of hibernation.

Side 2 of the record opens with a page very closely relating to ‘Garden…’ : ‘Myriad.industries’ is peppered with shimmering, partially-glitched keys, bleepy harshness rising from the grooves once more with ghostly horror voices bursting forth, not totally unexpectedly. The trademark multi-mini-melodies are present. Welcome back, Daniel. I’ve only just realised how much I missed you; can I give you a hug? We all need one or two of those every day, don’t we? So the scattered beats, odd ambience, off-centre samples and disturbing voices are back, they’re all over this record and I bloody love them. Anohni is back and she sounds siren-like amid the gothic synth stabs and spectral noise Lopatin makes, every but like the celebrated genius he truly is.

However, I think there’s probably too much wondrous genius within these particular grooves to properly absorb in one (lonesome-reviewer) sitting. Possibly best to listen to solo; or alternatively, on second thought, in the company of a loved one from within the comforting folds of a nice soft blankie / crisp, freshly laundered linen bedsheet. So, to recap then: an album to treasure, along with all his previous stuff: nice one, Lopatin. Also, there are some additional James Blake-y moments near the end. Nice.

"I ate the forbidden fruit by listening to the leak. Thinking about leaks induces some dread in me. What if I’ve pissed off my idol by not waiting until the record arrives to the world in sleek digital (and physical) form? But then I’ve already done the pre-order and, and oh well — I gave in anyway."

Review: Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of (Medium)

"Anyone casually lurking might call him a hack – albeit one with a good work ethic (his latest release is something like his 15th overall, discounting last year’s Good Time film score and countless other extra-curricular activities). Genius, for what it’s worth, is usually coterminous with what some might consider disgrace, and OPN – genius or not – is one of today’s great musical disgraces. Like other artists with unending inventories of main releases, documents, and other ephemera (Nurse With Wound, John Coltrane, Merzbow), OPN makes a point to stay busy. What’s more, his audience follows regardless.

Just like label mates Aphex Twin and Autechre, you’re typically left exhausted by an album’s end. The music itself sounds fatigued, worn thin by the elements. A cult figure among the YouTube generation, Lopatin’s erratic style – from pulsing electronica to new age serenity within moments, sometimes simultaneously – imitates the velocity and vulgarity of a 30-minute Vine compilation. Repeated listens of his latest offering ‘Age Of’ has a similarly numbing effect. The whole world and all of history physically passes by– yelling, caressing, judging, pummelling, hand-shaking – in much the super-accelerated fashion at which the age of information seems to be travelling."

Loud And Quiet

This is the second time I've seen this magazine referenced this week, really enjoying what I've encountered so far. Taking this review with a grain of salt but I find it's stance and scope refreshing.

Age Of Reviews Of Reviews Of Age Of