IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

Yeah same with Orange Milk. They are tight with the Tabs Out guys too - in fact Tabs Out uses their servers lol

Side note, Giant Claw lives like 10 minutes from my house, walking. He plays a bunch of shows around here and seems like a cool guy from when I’ve met him.

Yeah same with Orange Milk. They are tight with the Tabs Out guys too - in fact Tabs Out uses their servers lol

Side note, Giant Claw lives like 10 minutes from my house, walking. He plays a bunch of shows around here and seems like a cool guy from when I’ve met him.

Cool, yeah Rankin seems like a nice and classy fella

TMT review

they gave it a 3/5

Is it me, or does TMT like to give subpar scores to anything with more than 5 fans?
and all their eurekas read like livejournal posts written on LSD

some deece stuff in there though

I still admire TMT because they feature, promote, and review truly DIY and underground releases whereas most outlets are playing catch-up. Makes for their reviews of more well-known artists quite hit-or-miss but oh well. Kind of remind me of old era P4K in that regard.

iirc they gave a pre r+7 album (replica maybe?) an insanely superlative and unbearably pretentious review. perhaps he was still lesser known then, at least comparatively.

huge update from me: I’ve softened somewhat on r+7, it doesn’t get on my nerves as much although some of the tracks are pretty annoying and I find the production too loud and grating (even at low volumes that shit is too loud). I think replica might be my favorite of his but I’d say maybe half of the tracks are just not good. overall I feel like his records do not flow well and have a kind of grandiose add quality that I find distracting. I do admire him though, he’s come a long way from the when I first heard his stuff in 2009 and he’s always trying new things which i respect. Perhaps I’m just getting soft in my old age. Still haven’t heard this new one tho, it prob sux lol.

dang thats good news. going to listen to this new one again tomorrow. i just looooove pop music so much i really can't wait to hear opn's pop album in all it's postmodernist glory  :crazy:

Sample spotting for We'll Take It (@0:15, 2:48)

Good jerb, Nagwell (reddit)

Thanks! After a couple weeks of lurking this site I decided to make an account for future contributions.

Hello!  :music:

Thanks! After a couple weeks of lurking this site I decided to make an account for future contributions.

welcome

The moment I wake up I want to play this and the moment I get in from work I want to this. It seems to my ears that Mr Lopatin has made an exceedingly good album. I love every second of it.

Edited by beerwolf

TMT review

they gave it a 3/5

Is it me, or does TMT like to give subpar scores to anything with more than 5 fans?
and all their eurekas read like livejournal posts written on LSD

some deece stuff in there though

I still admire TMT because they feature, promote, and review truly DIY and underground releases whereas most outlets are playing catch-up. Makes for their reviews of more well-known artists quite hit-or-miss but oh well. Kind of remind me of old era P4K in that regard.

iirc they gave a pre r+7 album (replica maybe?) an insanely superlative and unbearably pretentious review. perhaps he was still lesser known then, at least comparatively.

huge update from me: I’ve softened somewhat on r+7, it doesn’t get on my nerves as much although some of the tracks are pretty annoying and I find the production too loud and grating (even at low volumes that shit is too loud). I think replica might be my favorite of his but I’d say maybe half of the tracks are just not good. overall I feel like his records do not flow well and have a kind of grandiose add quality that I find distracting. I do admire him though, he’s come a long way from the when I first heard his stuff in 2009 and he’s always trying new things which i respect. Perhaps I’m just getting soft in my old age. Still haven’t heard this new one tho, it prob sux lol.

dang thats good news. going to listen to this new one again tomorrow. i just looooove pop music so much i really can't wait to hear opn's pop album in all it's postmodernist glory  :crazy:
eagerly awaiting ur review alco :wub:

Noice, and welcome!  :catfallen:

Read the rules  :rtfm: 

AGEOFJAMS

Kinda lost interest in OPN after a weak live performance a few years ago..

Only listening to this rn because it’s watmm hype tbqh... more opinions later maybe, stay tuned!

KGB Man - LIST.006 Mix (2009)

Download MP3 (Mega)

"Brooklyn-based Daniel Lopatin is best known as Oneohitrix Point Never, but under his KGB Man guise he screws n chops everything from southern hip hop bangers to Toto’s Africa."

"Eating moon rocks for breakfast and drinking syzurp for lunch may not be listed in the food pyramid as a balanced diet, but don't tell KGB Man, the subterranean alter ego of Dan Lopatin from Oneohtrix Point Never. Where OPN dwells in digital frequencies and the space station hum, KGB Man is right up in the club, shaking his dick on whoever the hell is next to him, probably pouring tranquilized cocktails down your girlfriend's ass crack. Think I'm kidding? Peep this mix KGB Man recently did for LIST." (22/12/2009)

01. Ron C - Flex (Time to Have Sex)

02. Gwen Stefani - Luxurious

03. Slim Thug - I Run

04. Swishahouse - Swish 2k1

05. Botany Boys - Smokin and Leanin

06. Big Moe - Sippin Codeine

07. DJ Screw - Computer Love

08. DJ Screw - Life Without Music

09. DJ Screw - Servin a Deuce

10. DJ Screw - Young in the Game

11. Lil Young - Freestyle

12. Big Moe - My Life #2

13. Ron C - Knock Knock

14. DJ Screw - 25 Lighters

15. G Unit - Wanna Get to Know You

how did u find this? jeez

donervan-bnrsel.png

Got another little KGB treat to serve up which may bring the concept of 'vocals on OPN tracks' into sharp focus...

love u man

KGB Man - LIST.006 Mix (2009)

Download MP3 (Mega)

Proto-proto-vaporwave. It's like a dress rehearsal for Eccojams

Noice, and welcome!  :catfallen:

Read the rules  :rtfm: 

AGEOFJAMS

she got them season 1 dana scully vibes

correct me if I'm wrong but studio recordings and live shows are two completely different contexts and I don't see how not enjoying one would make you not enjoy the other

i turn your statement around. I saw an artist last week and was deeply impressed by his live show and now his last LP is my fav. of the year so far, before that i couldn't really get into it. 

so i suppose this can happen the other way too

Edited by Kavinsky

I've never liked any OPN I've heard. He's a talented producer, but the music just seems too gimmicky to me (oh I changed the feel of the track, didn't expect that did u! oh there's a distorted part out of nowhere! contrasting textures wooooow!) but I can see why others are into it. I just listened to this for the first (and likely only time)...not changing my interest in his stuff at all...which is fine, he's obviously well-liked (and again, he's good at what he does)…he's got a good ear for melody and I like the pop-leaning portions of this more than the rest. I'm really only posting to say:

He should've just made a pop album and went with that. Instead of cluttering everything up, just a basically straight forward collection of more conventional songs likely would've been pretty great (to me). First like two minutes of Still Stuff, would be a great and unique R&B styled pop song if he'd just taken out a touch of the extra crud and mixed it a little more conventionally. I know that he's not trying to write a pop album, obviously, but he could've and likely should've (imo)...that said, the pop aspects are a touch derivative in general (Babylon reminds me of something else, a country song I think?) and others here have mentioned other similarities in various tracks...Black Snow is decent on its own (because it's mostly just a pop song) but even it reminded me of other stuff. He seems to be purposefully doing that, which is interesting in its own way and all, but it doesn't elicit a good reaction from me when I'm instantly like "oh yeah, this sounds like something else but he added static and bits of acoustic guitar and shit" So yeah...different enough but still sounds like OPN which just isn't for me :)

Anyway, I'm rambling. Just giving my little opinion...I'll try again on the next album.

correct me if I'm wrong but studio recordings and live shows are two completely different contexts and I don't see how not enjoying one would make you not enjoy the other

i turn your statement around. I saw an artist last week and was deeply impressed by his live show and now his last LP is my fav. of the year so far, before that i couldn't really get into it. 

so i suppose this can happen the other way too

i enjoyed GOD and the live show I went to was excellent.

Enjoyed the new album too, but live it was very lacklustre (maybe it has to do with the setting since it was at a open air festival?). It was all quiet and tame like a bon iver show. But Jlin played at the same stage the day before and she absolutely destroyed it

Plus the sight of the keyboardist playing with her hair every 30 seconds and taking crowd pictures with her phone during the songs made it even worse

Sorry opn I <3 u 

Edited by fairuzosman