IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

Thanks for all the input here, great thread. The boiler room set though some years old is amazing, exciting alternative versions with more bassdrums, wouldn't mind him to explore that in depth. Also "Instrumental Tourist" needs more love.

Edited by tokn

Already gunning my way out of London Town, apologies to those who I could have shouted beers to but scheduling meant I was no sooner here than gone...

I will try to do some proper words on the show soon (tl:dr it was very good), but for now I'm just trying not to melt in this heat.

Some quick thoughts while they're still fresh.

O(K)PN

- Laser-guided central seating position in the upper circle was proper

- OPN with an ensemble worked a charm. Talent recognises talent, and all players were synchronised like a well oiled machine that had been out there doing this stuff for years.

- 'We'll Take It' blew the Barbican apart, and with good reason. Floor-shaking drops, and thunderous applause from the crowd afterwards. However, a tip for Danel-san to pass on to the lighting crew: the direct orange spots during it were searing my vision. Tone 'em down or give it some angle next time.

- Crowd was so respectful, I had wondered if Aphex at the Barbican was a one-off in that regard, but nope - no chatter around me for the whole show. That just made me realise, DL was playing on the exact spot Rich was swinging the Joanna from the rafters all those years ago. Cosmic.

OP(W)N'D

- Hoped for a special guest or sommet but nowt doing. 

- No fancy programme for LDN, just a one shee(i)t photocopy of 'Your introduction to OPN'. boourns

- Merch table lacking. No MYRIAD shirt like at NYC, and why couldn't I buy a fancy print exclusive to the show? Had half a mind to buy the white long sleeve shirt with all the Age Of doo-dads all over it, but then remembered I'm long past being 14 so can't wear that sort of ting now :(

- A very special round of 'go bleep yourself' to the couple who wouldn't move their bags from the aisle floor when I was having to exit early, causing me to kick past them anyway...? <<MAXIMUM BONERVAN RAGE>>

I am 35. I bought the white longsleeve ?

03submersibleb8knw.jpeg

Age of Excess

Good show tho! Seems like a few concessions were made here and there (reduced visuals compared to NYC, no Kelsey Lu) but it was by far the best OPN show I've had the pleasure to witness.

100% agree with donervan's review/comments.fantastic show despite being a bit cut back from what I read/heard about the NYC show.

I couldn't actually find the merch stand, where was it? I wanted one of those dope black Myriad shirts but sounds like they didn't have them anyway. No We'll Take It vinyl either I'm guessing?

they had white longsleeve, black shortsleeve, baseball cap and Age Of vinyl and CD. That was it.

Was a tiny little table in the middle of Level 1, underneath the ground floor of the Barbican building.

MYRIAD t shirt was in the Barbican shop - just black gloss letters on the front with the same white circle/OPN as the other black t shirt on the back. Great show, especially the encore of Child of Rage and Chrome County

Been digging the album still, Gulf Gutters, last track on 'Four Pieces' is acting as a lovely companion, keen to hear these '4' pieces from Ferraro, so far very similar to OPN r+7 onwards in sound design, these two are obviously rinsing that ozone or whatever fucking epic vst is.  If you've not heard it get on it

Saw the vinyl of the single on OPNs insta all made and ready by the looks! Clenching for the new tracks, would be good to get a show in aus, make it happen.
Might be the last new OPN lp for a while according to https://www.stereogum.com/featured/oneohtrix-point-never-age-of-myriad-byrne-anohni-twigs-usher/

^ that (besides We'll Take It) was the highlight for me. Made me very emotional, misted up a bit.

We'll Take It and the dancin' gals routine during Black Snow were my highlights. Hair on the back of your neck standing up territory.

And spi, please don't take my cuss regarding the long sleeve shirt to heart. I am a tall mutant for which such clothing doesn't do me any favours, and I would only have been buying it to wear while washing the car or something  :cat:

Man that drummer must have been bored. Did he add drums to the songs without drums, or was he playing other instruments as well?

He was drumming through the majority of it. Only downed sticks for the encore.

I hope there will be a Myriad life album tbh. These extended versions of the Age Of tracks, played live, felt way more fleshed out.

Edit: Donervan, was it just my imagination or did they go full Celine for the live version of Toys2?

Edited by hello spiral

Edit: Donervan, was it just my imagination or did they go full Celine for the live version of Toys2?

Y'know, people were saying that back when the album dropped, and while yes, if your ear bends in the right (wrong) direction, Celine is invoked... but I personally don't believe it was something that was intentionally leaned into during Saturday's performance.