IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

watching that "we'll take it" video was the first time something from this album really hit me with that "whoa there's something different about this" feeling that i used to get so strongly from OPN's work

feeling like now i'm going to have to go back & listen to it all more carefully

agree - both videos are dope and make me want to revisit the album more closely

That's a bit confusing, according to that

We'll Take It tracklisting is:

1. We'll Take It

2. Monody

3. Blow by Blow

4. Trance 1

and The Station's tracklisting is:

1. The Station

2. Monody

3. Blow by Blow

4. Trance 1

Quite happy if that's the case though as I like the extra tracks but don't want to spend any more money on that track that makes my ears bleed (The Station)

Samples of the two new tracks are now up on Boomkat, Monody in particular sounds great.

https://boomkat.com/products/we-ll-take-it-ed04528e-7023-4e95-ba67-d5bf5927f563

Calling it now, Blow by Blow gets performed in some capacity at the Tokyo MYRIAD show.

(or at the very least, it should be)

I find it a bit fucked up that his show is advertised as a 'concertscape'. The Barbican show had dancers for 1 track (which you couldn't see from the balcony for most of the song) and a prop hanging either side of the stage. Doesn't justify the 'scape' imo.

His interviews are always interesting though, will check ^^^

The EP is awesome. Monody especially is a banger. Blow by Blow needs some time imho. The release is really really tight overall, and I guess the We'll Take It version will be even darker!

Envoyé de mon EML-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Pitchfork review - 6.5

"The Station is an EP for hardcore fans who relish digging through Lopatin’s odds and ends. Its 14 minutes of previously unreleased material don’t bear any significant resemblance to the vocal-led title track, and the record makes no discernible overarching statement."

" “Trance 1” is its highlight, four minutes of zithering synth clouds and gaping drone that perfectly realize the song’s space-is-the-place intentions, while “Monody” pairs Age Of’s occasional forays into medieval harpsichord with a nasty-sounding breakbeat that opens up to reveal Lopatin’s approximation of a proper rave track. The glassy “Blow by Blow” is the collection’s weakest cut, a five-and-a-half minute suite of processed chord-shredding, water-droplet percussion, blasts of static noise, and synthetic euphoria that drifts between moods without quite cohering."

"And then there’s “The Station.” ...with synth lines crashing in and out of the mix as noisy squeals erupt like a DDOS attack on the song's mainframe."

"Boards of Canada"

:catsuicide:

So excluding the first track is The Station EP the same as We'll Take It EP ?

Yes. Unless there's differences between physical and digital versions of the tracks like he did with Toys 2 on the album!

Yes. Unless there's differences between physical and digital versions of the tracks like he did with Toys 2 on the album!

wait what

wait what

Yeah the vinyl version has some extra bits at the end of the track!

yeah! i noticed that the other day when playing the vinyl,the extra bit at the end of toys 2,thought i was going nuts!

“Monody” percussion elements have a On EP vibe to them, sounded like a classic 90s IDM track.

"Blow By Blow" was interesting, first half sounded like it could of been a track off a Dream Catalogue release but that guitar threw me off in the middle. I enjoyed how hard to pin down it was style and genre wise.

I'm a sucker for "Trance 1" and "The Station" is a decent track but not a standout for me from the album. That 6.5 review is kinda apt point wise even if the write-up is insipid to the max.

Monody definitely on the 90s Warp tip with a highly recognisable OPN signature. If I didn't know better I'd say it was left on the cutting room floor for the Good Time soundtrack, but is no less raspy and fun, regardless of its origin.

Blow by Blow feels to me like a sideways "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence", which, given OPN's rework of a Ryuichi Sakamoto piece makes total sense for connecting the dots.

Trance 1 is my 'final track of Age Of' jam, seeing how I listen to the Japanese edition out of habit, so nothing new to say there really.

I think we're due at least another EP out of this album, and with talk of it being a while til the next album, I hope it comes out with all NERF guns blazing.

I'm a sucker for "Trance 1" and "The Station" is a decent track but not a standout for me from the album. That 6.5 review is kinda apt point wise even if the write-up is insipid to the max.

yeah.. after repeated listens I'm still not getting much from this album, other than trance 1 I'm not really feeling it like I have felt his previous releases

the art that goes with it is rlly rlly great tho jeez

might have to do that Roundhouse gig

I love Age Of, think it's outstanding. I went back to listen to some of his early stuff on Spotify, man he's definitely pushed himself forward in leaps and bounds. R+7 and this album are classics imo. Glad he's on Warp.