Monody definitely on the 90s Warp tip with a highly recognisable OPN signature. If I didn't know better I'd say it was left on the cutting room floor for the Good Time soundtrack, but is no less raspy and fun, regardless of its origin.

Blow by Blow feels to me like a sideways "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence", which, given OPN's rework of a Ryuichi Sakamoto piece makes total sense for connecting the dots.

Trance 1 is my 'final track of Age Of' jam, seeing how I listen to the Japanese edition out of habit, so nothing new to say there really.

I think we're due at least another EP out of this album, and with talk of it being a while til the next album, I hope it comes out with all NERF guns blazing.

I'm a sucker for "Trance 1" and "The Station" is a decent track but not a standout for me from the album. That 6.5 review is kinda apt point wise even if the write-up is insipid to the max.

yeah.. after repeated listens I'm still not getting much from this album, other than trance 1 I'm not really feeling it like I have felt his previous releases

the art that goes with it is rlly rlly great tho jeez

might have to do that Roundhouse gig

I love Age Of, think it's outstanding. I went back to listen to some of his early stuff on Spotify, man he's definitely pushed himself forward in leaps and bounds. R+7 and this album are classics imo. Glad he's on Warp.

is the EP worth picking up? if I had more cash I'd definitely pick it up, but I'm out of the work at the moment so I shouldn't. . .

. . . but I want it.

Edited by QQQ

Blow by Blow feels to me like a sideways "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence", which, given OPN's rework of a Ryuichi Sakamoto piece makes total sense for connecting the dots.

+1 on the Sakamoto vibes. My favorite of these new ones.

oh fuck, these tracks are great.

New tracks are great.

I still can't stand Nate Boyce's visuals - they actively detract from the music

first listen and I'm in love with this new ep !

I like all of it

Also lol pitchfork

Edited by Gocab

these 3 new tracks are all pretty good, specially Monody

Looks like I'm heading to Camden on March 8th

I can't stop hearing "Age Of' in my head, and I'm real okay with it.

Can't wait to hear the new extra extras.

opn1vijj.jpg

Oneohtrix Point Never in conversation with cult artist Jim Shaw - On AI and Algorithms, “Sour Registers,” and The Nightmare on Elm Street (SSENSE)

Celineformation:

"But long story short, in homage, I composed this piece called “Toys 2” because I really have very few memories of Toys with Robin Williams, but I thought, "Okay. This will be my proof of concept for Robin Williams’ posthumous CGI return, which will break his request in the will, and it will be a controversial item, and it's going to be this big moment in culture. I'll just make the music now." I had this strange kind of kazoo sound and it's playing this strange lullaby on top of these other things that somehow quoted Céline Dion. I’m thinking we must be reaching the end of a harmonic epoch. There's only so many permutations of the chromatism left to uncover."

Edited by jasondonervan

he's being naïve there. the reason he ended up quoting celine dion in that track is because of his limited melodic language

he's being naïve a pseud there. the reason he ended up quoting celine dion in that track is because of his limited melodic language

​Yeah man that's horse shit. He's a good talker but some dude quoting a super simple diatonic line from a soundtrack does not the end of chromaticism make.

+1 on the Sakamoto vibes. My favorite of these new ones.

the wiggly guitar solo even sounds like kazumi watanabe on thousand knives

opn1vijj.jpg

Oneohtrix Point Never in conversation with cult artist Jim Shaw - On AI and Algorithms, “Sour Registers,” and The Nightmare on Elm Street (SSENSE)

Celineformation:

"But long story short, in homage, I composed this piece called “Toys 2” because I really have very few memories of Toys with Robin Williams, but I thought, "Okay. This will be my proof of concept for Robin Williams’ posthumous CGI return, which will break his request in the will, and it will be a controversial item, and it's going to be this big moment in culture. I'll just make the music now." I had this strange kind of kazoo sound and it's playing this strange lullaby on top of these other things that somehow quoted Céline Dion. I’m thinking we must be reaching the end of a harmonic epoch. There's only so many permutations of the chromatism left to uncover."

Listen to aphex and you'll soon realise there are still many melodies to uncover. 

Love OPN but he does talk some pretentious bullshit. 

all sounds rather bombastic  :catrecline:

The mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

Listen to aphex and you'll soon realise there are still many melodies to uncover. 

aphex fanboys please stay in your containment subforum

Edited by span

this is just like that big controversy a few years ago when it turned out that half the tracks on r + 7 were just shrek 2 ost slowed down

this is just like that big controversy a few years ago when it turned out that half the tracks on r + 7 were just shrek 2 ost slowed down

Lol

aphex fanboys please stay in your containment subforum

lol

Genuinely enjoy OPNs music, garden of delete was great! And his interviews can be interesting too. Just thought it was a bit of a cop out to say the reason behind you ripping titanic was because it's the end of the 'harmonic epoch' i mean come on, that's pretty funny. 

He's prob just trolling to be fair