IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

on first listen Lexapro sounds like the kinda track he already made a hundred thousand of during Rifts era

Please let this hater be ban.

Sincerely, the Ambient Bedwetter Society

on first listen Lexapro sounds like the kinda track he already made a hundred thousand of during Rifts era

Ban me too then, ='(. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Ban me too then, ='(.
You are henceforth Vulk BannederHooj

fight me irl

don't make me kick your bike tire

<--- you see this kid on the grass? that's what he got for messing with 4 year old me.

Edited by eczem

• 2 weeks later...

sometimes i can't tell whether opn is being obvious about his references on purpose or he is just permanently in pastiche mode.

0:45 in lexapro. similar slowly panning muted drums and monophonic melody

Blow by Blow feels to me like a sideways "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence", which, given OPN's rework of a Ryuichi Sakamoto piece makes total sense for connecting the dots.

+1 on the Sakamoto vibes. My favorite of these new ones.

the wiggly guitar solo even sounds like kazumi watanabe on thousand knives

this is another example of very obvious homage and in a way it kind of makes me question whether i truly enjoy what i'm listening to. i listen and think of the songs and artists and aesthetics he's bringing together and not really experiencing the track as a thing of its own.

sometimes i can't tell whether opn is being obvious about his references on purpose or he is just permanently in pastiche mode.

0:45 in lexapro. similar slowly panning muted drums and monophonic melody

I'm not sure how obvious of a reference that would be though. Earthbound has quite the cult following but I gather OPN has a comparatively large fanbase, no?

Blow by Blow feels to me like a sideways "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence", which, given OPN's rework of a Ryuichi Sakamoto piece makes total sense for connecting the dots.

+1 on the Sakamoto vibes. My favorite of these new ones.

the wiggly guitar solo even sounds like kazumi watanabe on thousand knives

this is another example of very obvious homage and in a way it kind of makes me question whether i truly enjoy what i'm listening to. i listen and think of the songs and artists and aesthetics he's bringing together and not really experiencing the track as a thing of its own.

His approach probably works a little better on me, as my frame of reference is a little narrow, so instead of making those direct connections, it mostly stays as a web of ghostly echos and vague homages.

Having said that (and at the risk of sounding like the guy who shouts "play Eutow​"), my favorite releases of his are still R+7 and Commissions I-II, where I sense that he was a little more subtle with the pastiche, though probably not the best one to judge.

my favorite releases of his are still R+7 and Commissions I-II

Great choices ! Commissions II is by far my favourite thing he's done, every track (particularly the epic closer) is just incredible.