IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

Bleep Advent 2018: Day 20

Oneohtrix Point Never - Love In The Time Of Lexapro (Warp) 

"For the twentieth day of the Bleep Advent 2018, Warp present this highly collectable CD edition of Love In The Time Of Lexapro by Oneohtrix Point Never. By far one of our favourite EPs of 2018, it continues the worldwide take over that began with 'Age Of', 'The Station' and 'We'll Take It'. Limited copies straight in from Japan so move fast..."

Tracklist:

01. Love In The Time Of Lexapro
02. Last Known Image Of A Song (Ryuichi Sakamoto Rework)
03. Thank God I'm A Country Girl
04. Monody
05. Blow By Blow
06. Babylon (Alex G & OPN)

(Looks like a smash and grab of LITTOL and The Station EPs)

016me8k.jpg

02fmcaj.jpg

039nip8.jpg

Warp Records in 2018: Everything was popup stores

opn00paeub.jpg

opn01swfvy.jpg

I know somebody wants to get me one of those shirts with Quark on the front. size M... ; )
udo is the best

I adore the Love in the Time of Lexapro ep, have been listening to it a lot the last two weeks. It's kind of annoying that the release which includes all of the non-album tracks is some special limited edition thing. I don't understand the point of the "The Station"/"We'll Take It" eps as distinct releases, other than as a cash grab.

This album's unnecessary extra eps and drove of needless obscure merchandise -> Age of Excess

...are those pink tombstones I see?

Edited by ganus

https://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/2018-against-worldbuilding

interesting article that sort of takes the piss out of Age Of et al. don't really agree with the overall argument but reading a substantive case against 0pn's recent hubris is kind of entertaining (imo).

This album's unnecessary extra eps and drove of needless obscure merchandise -> Age of Excess

The combination of corporate iconography via Red Bull, the magnitude of the Armory space, and 0PN’s mission for a “project of unprecedented scope” all established a neo-feudal aesthetic that was further suffused into the symbolic artifices of his 2018 album, Age Of. Despite the artist’s efforts to grandly proclaim how we can “survive the last days of excess” — as articulated in 0PN’s interview with critic Colin Joyce — excess was on display during “Myriad.” Haphazardly branded as “Myriad Industries,” the piece was a terrifying example of how industrialized music propels our symbolic artifice forward into hubristic and, quite frankly, suffocating worldbuilding — excess.

The title track’s harpsichord transition into the glazed drawl of “Babylon” is a truly gruesome picture for how overdetermined sound can yield hollow forms — devoid of their intended affect — and transparently “try hard” in their world-like, sonic-rococo embellishment. It expounds its own suffocating commentary through the literal use of gas-mask breaths on “Black Snow” or the “cinematically” ascendent, minimalist hocketing of “Warning.” With virtuosic production “shredding” techniques, materials, and symbols that have been combined and recombined countless times in virtually thousands of recordings in modern music, Age Of is a “flex,” an intended opus that clinically systematizes 0PN’s mythos into a choked amalgamation of his tropic industrialized sounds and motifs.

Edited by Guest

i don't understand that quoted text and i don't think a second read is gonna help

Basically, he's lost his head up his arse.

the fact that he accidentally copied a celine dion melody just shows that the possibilities of tonality have been exhausted, guys! it's totally not that he made something unoriginal!!

Edited by Guest

i don't understand that quoted text and i don't think a second read is gonna help

Basically, he's lost his head up his arse.

the possibilities of tonality have been exhausted, guys! it's totally not that he made something unoriginal!!

Lol   :catbleed:

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

• 1 month later...

Now I've had a few months to digest the album ..... s'bollocks innit.

We need ol' Juno 60-arpy OPN back (or the OPN behind Commissions II) (or just an OPN that's more concerned with the album itself rather than all the external universe nonsense behind it)

My fandom never fully materialized for this album. Or garden of delete.  I appreciate some songs off each, but never want to smack on the album like I do with other opn.  The good time soundtrack is amazing tho, so i know he's still got it, it just takes a different type of project/mindset.

Edited by Marked x 0ne