IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

while I didn't like Age Of either I just want him to do something else. What's this idea of wanting artists to go back to doing the same shit they've already done? just listen to the old stuff. I'd rather have OPN doing new stuff that I don't like than rehashed stuff that I might enjoy more

span, on 15 Feb 2019 - 11:12 AM, said:

while I didn't like Age Of either I just want him to do something else. What's this idea of wanting artists to go back to doing the same shit they've already done? just listen to the old stuff. I'd rather have OPN doing new stuff that I don't like than rehashed stuff that I might enjoy more

It's a fine line though isn't it? Having a similar sound/"doing something they've already done" is part of what gives them an identity as an artist. Isn't that why you get excited when artist xxxxx is releasing a new album, partially because you know what to expect?

=/

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

then tell me why you listen to all 600 of merzbows albums?

Because you like merzbow. That is literally why anyone buys any album from any artist is because it's that artist. If every time you bought an autechre release it skipped around between sounding like autechre to sounding like britney spears to sounding like maroon 5 you wouldn't buy autechre.

You buy it  because you know it's going to sound like autechre.

It's a fine line though isn't it? Having a similar sound/"doing something they've already done" is part of what gives them an identity as an artist. Isn't that why you get excited when artist xxxxx is releasing a new album, partially because you know what to expect?

=/

you have a point, which is why for me this doesn't apply to all artists... Some artists I listen to cause they do what they do and I enjoy it, even when it's variations on a theme. What I've come to expect though from OPN is for him to come up with wildly different stuff every release cycle, and having him back to square 1 would be a disappointment

also I guess this is why these last few years of Autechre havent excited me that much

Edited by span

=/

you have a point, which is why for me this doesn't apply to all artists... Some artists I listen to cause they do what they do and I enjoy it, even when it's variations on a theme. What I've come to expect though from OPN is for him to come up with wildly different stuff every release cycle, and having him back to square 1 would be a disappointment

also I guess this is why these last few years of Autechre havent excited me that much

Ah yeah, fair point. Guess we will see what OPN does next, probably next year though.

:music:

edit: and I get it - for example each autechre release is undeniably autechre but you get some variation in sound from era to era - this is my least fav autechre "era" lol. I guess what you're saying is you wouldn't mind if OPN moved on to his next sound?

didn't really give a shit about the album at all. had some great moments but agree there was some absolute wankology universe regarding it. i loved the design but needed to be backed up with music which was always his issue. contrary to what i've just said, it does appear that james blake made this album worse. no surprise. guy is a massive bellend and telling opn to take out the more crazy stuff is weak. james blake is a fucking gay-ass poser who is little-dicked as hell. anyway i have the LP of this but I haven't even opened it. opn is on some thin fucking ice with this one.

You know what ... you're exactly right ! Definitely appreciate OPNs frequent reset of his sound and that's probably why I'm always so intrigued about his every release. Fingers crossed the 'Age Of' sound vanishes after this one release and isn't the first of a continuing phase, as it's the only purchase of his that I've actually disliked. Everything until this album I've completely loved his output, so it was a weird experience to completely flip my opinion so strongly.

Here's hoping the next album is more Post Fyre-crypto core.

didn't really give a shit about the album at all. had some great moments but agree there was some absolute wankology universe regarding it. i loved the design but needed to be backed up with music which was always his issue. contrary to what i've just said, it does appear that james blake made this album worse. no surprise. guy is a massive bellend and telling opn to take out the more crazy stuff is weak. james blake is a fucking gay-ass poser who is little-dicked as hell. anyway i have the LP of this but I haven't even opened it. opn is on some thin fucking ice with this one.

someone had been drinking alcohol and posting on my account help joyrex 

Edited by dr lopez

then tell me why you listen to all 600 of merzbows albums?

If every time you bought an autechre release it skipped around between sounding like autechre to sounding like britney spears to sounding like maroon 5 you wouldn't buy autechre.

idk that britney spears song 'toxic' was pretty good. Fuck maroon 5 though, don't know that I could stomach that even between new ae

Awesome post flol, still an awesome album though, me no care what all you watmm folks think. So many whined about Babylon, I think its one of the best things he's ever done. 

James Blake is fucking dreadful. So the more bile you can spew about him the better. Obviously the non James Blake version must be a 10/10.

as much as i dislike James Blake he did a good job on the album. it would be interesting to see how it would have turned out without his input, though. still one of the best records (the best? . . . probably) of 2018

• 3 weeks later...

^ Real good gig. Sounded great way up front, visuals were kinda cool too, although I was expecting more considering these shows were marketed as 'audiovisual concertscapes' or whatever. But yeah, I still really enjoyed. The whole band were great, spesh the drummer and the pianist.

Setlist was Age Of in its entirety and a handful of other tracks. The singer Moses Sumney joined the band for half of Animals. Looked like the whole thing was being filmed too, possibly by FACT mag?

They're on the opn subreddit somewhere. Trying really had to get some scans of them or even better, obtain one. Unfortunately it seems like nobody online has one. And if they do, they flat out refuse to scan it.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPzxfgGc2bWCuVuz0dPF-GtUby6u83AINS29Nq5l9M9uyXorE5ulM4ry9dDJ67NIw?key=bS1tbGxVbFhjb3ZvcFBaQklXaE1YR09uWG5ZY1RR

looks fucking great

"The Extraordinary And Fantastical Deathsong Of The Worst Timeline Immemoriam" "Friendly but lacking any useful opinions or takes" lol Daniel is extremely online

First time I've heard of this as well but would love some scans too, some lovely stuff in here. Might include what the hell that sped up voice was saying between some songs as well.

Edited by WeAreOceans