IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

This isn’t for me but good on him for trying new sounds

Not sure how to feel about it either, part of me thinks I'll grow to love it, part of me hopes this track is a fluke. I still applaud him for doing whatever the hell he wants, regardless of how it turns out. Grime's last album had that dilemma for me - applaud her going whatever direction she wanted even though I didn't like it too much.

Also it looks / sounds like a Kirin Callinan song.

Edited by joshuatx

Nothing at all what I expected. I really dig it. I like the vocals too. Someone in the comments said he might be going for a deconstructed hip hop sort of thing, which would be rad imo. Definitely on-board. Will likely pre-order too (Partly because I DO want a shirt with EXCESS BONDAGE written on it.)

danger4rqio.jpg

This is the writing to be used on signs for a nuclear waste site in New Mexico after they block up the caves for good. A whole bunch of multi-disciplinary scientists basically needed to figure out a way to make it clear the waste is incredibly dangerous to civilizations thousands of years in the future who may not have any concept of radiation, symbols and languages we use.

Nice little write up on the project here https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

Edited by WeAreOceans

i can't tell if that's a jasondonervan shop or not lol

need ur review on this man, especially if it turns out to be a mumble rap album

Leave it with me. I might do a first-listen-review-o-rama when possible and post the related word soup here.

dbmqxxmwaaay40z6fu81.jpg

One of Danny's shoops, not mine!

Nothing at all what I expected. I really dig it. I like the vocals too. Someone in the comments said he might be going for a deconstructed hip hop sort of thing, which would be rad imo. Definitely on-board. Will likely pre-order too (Partly because I DO want a shirt with EXCESS BONDAGE written on it.)

danger4rqio.jpg

This is the writing to be used on signs for a nuclear waste site in New Mexico after they block up the caves for good. A whole bunch of multi-disciplinary scientists basically needed to figure out a way to make it clear the waste is incredibly dangerous to civilizations thousands of years in the future who may not have any concept of radiation, symbols and languages we use.

Nice little write up on the project here https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/ten-thousand-years/

Didn't know about this! Raycats is another track on the album, so here's the source for that too

danger4rqio.jpg

Didn't know about this! Raycats is another track on the album, so here's the source for that too

Ah good catch!

I'm pretty sure one of the lyrics also twists the chorus to "a wave of black holes" as well, possibly a reference to one of the architectural ideas to ward people away from the area:

"Black Hole": A masonry slab, either of black Basalt rock,or black-dyed concrete, is an image of an enormous black hole; an immense nothing; a void; land removed from use with nothing left behind; a useless place. It both looks uninhabitable and unfarmable, and it is, for it is exceedingly hot part of the year. Its blackness absorbs the desert's high sun-heat load and radiates it back. It is a massive effort to make a place that is fearful, ugly, and uncomfortable.

Though the YT details says the lyrics are inspired by the Cybernetic Culture Research Unit which is a fucking wiki hole in of itself.

Also the pattern on the back of the hazard suits in Black Snow match the weird light patterns in the MYRIAD video

XZsLKkS.jpg

est4nku.jpg

edit: seems that specific pattern appears a few times in the MYRIAD video, at least, in amonst the final credits

Edited by WeAreOceans

I've never liked much of anything OPN has done 

Are you sure you're allowed to say that buddy? 

I was crucified for those sentiments, just a forewarning. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I've never liked much of anything OPN has done but the track wasn't that fucking bad, damn Sagan. Putting him out, he gonn cri

yeah, i'm probably overreacting and it's just one song. and just to clarify I don't mean it was stunningly awful in a no talent sort of way, I just mean it did absolutely nothing for me. just completely middle of the road auto-tuned tripe and an equally dull video. pick a better song as a lead single and maybe get frank henenlotter to direct your quirky little 90's video next time. 

if OPN did happen to read this he would probably enjoy knowing how unreasonably upset this song makes me. I'm not even sure why it bothered me as much as it did. This single is on par with my recent introduction to Greta Van Fleet. 

anyways, all the medieval shit sounded really cool and I still plan on checking it out.

I've never liked much of anything OPN has done 

Are you sure you're allowed to say that buddy? 

I was crucified for those sentiments, just a forewarning. 

I shit on Eno in another thread, I ain't afraid of nothing. A Clockwork Orange sucks too. Who wants to fight?  :cat: 

Thing is I think what OPN is doing is interesting at times, just not something I personally connect with. Maybe that'll change at some point or with a new release or whatever, but I don't think he's trash or anything. Kinda presented as more about hype and tons of pseudo ironic motifs and meanings at times? But I ain't judging. Just not for me generally, but I always try to keep an ear to the ground, ya know?