Been coming back to this one a lot lately. At first listen I thought it sounded too much like their first (also awesome) album, but damn can those fluidly simple guitar lines get stuck in your head.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

RULES RULES.

I always listen to:

Rules
Cómo me Quieres
Maria También
Cómo te Quiero

Last one has a really touching video. I wonder why they put so much analog hiss onto the digital distrib., I don't need that. But hey. Target audience probably wants this.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:22 AM, joshuatxuk said:

Dub remix album coming out

I love this band but was pretty disappointed with that remix album. I was hoping they would have added more classic sounding dub elements (horns, vocal samples, melodica, etc.) to the tracks, instead of just looping a drum beat with a guitar riff delayed-out over it. the remixes weren't really re-created in an original way, and sounded way too basic compared to the original versions.

18 minutes ago, zero said:

I love this band but was pretty disappointed with that remix album. I was hoping they would have added more classic sounding dub elements (horns, vocal samples, melodica, etc.) to the tracks, instead of just looping a drum beat with a guitar riff delayed-out over it. the remixes weren't really re-created in an original way, and sounded way too basic compared to the original versions.

i really dig the remix album.  the way i see it, dub typically has very few elements in the mix.. they stuck to the dub principals and made those elements sound really good.  I get what you mean that the flavor isnt radically different than the main album, but imo the subtle difference makes for a very different mood.  try putting it on inna more spaced out mindset and it might click

^ I'm in between these opinions. I like that they stuck with the original instrumentation and tracks (like classic 70s dub) and didn't just throw in dub reggae elements (although the Scientist bonus dubs did a decent job of this) but on the flipside the more nuanced approach made for some pretty tame remixes depending on the source material (Mary Always and A La Sala), the better dubs of tracks already leaning toward spacey guitar lines and slower basslines (The Red Book, Hasta El Cielo). Kind of reminds me of the Mad Professor vs Massive Attack remix album.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now