IGNORED

Describe your live setup/performance method

I still approach composition/production/recording in a very naive way making everything in a fairly basic wave editor. When I was asked to play a set of original material a few years back I had to come with something fast whilst having no tenable knowledge of how to use an actual DAW.

So basically I have some loops going in the wave editor on my laptop where I can control a few parameters, fade, pan, volume, EQ, a few basic effects on my mixer. I use an MPC 500 to trigger some sounds and play basslines mostly. On top of that I sing and overdub loops of my vox over everything and mess with that on a line of pedals. It can fall outta sync pretty easily so I need to nail the timing on my loop pedal or continually correct it. It is a far from ideal setup for what I wanna do but it's what I got at the mo. Here's a vid from last year of me using this setup:

damn this is good! :music:

i think an octatrack would work really good for what you do here. check one out if you haven't already.

Thank you! I have seen people use Octatrack a lot and it looks like fun! Seems that you can accomplish a lot on the fly with the just the one device. I have a friend who performs with two Octatracks (Octatri?) at once and I have been meaning to ask him why that is. What would you say the advantages of it are?

in your case i just think you could replace a lot of your gear on stage with just the one box so you can focus your attention better. it can handle sequencing, looping, fx, etc...

the recording & looping can be automated and is actually integrated with the sequencer, so nothing will ever go out of time. you can manually engage & disnegage the recording, or have it done automatically as part of the sequence. for example, you could say 'on step 1 of the sequence, record for 8 steps, stop recording, and playback what you've recorded until the sequence loops around. then it will start recording on step 1 again.

you can play in the most off-time stuff. you can grab any sound really and the octatrack will sample it right on the beat & play it back right on the beat. it's all hands free which would leave you free to mess with the octatracks scenes, crossfader, mute tracks, work with external gear, whatever.

there is definitely a learning curve involved so you will have to put a decent amount of time into learning it & getting muscle memory with it same as any other instrument, but once you get fluent it is very powerful.

2 octatracks just sounds like overkill to me. things would get too complicated i think.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still approach composition/production/recording in a very naive way making everything in a fairly basic wave editor. When I was asked to play a set of original material a few years back I had to come with something fast whilst having no tenable knowledge of how to use an actual DAW.

So basically I have some loops going in the wave editor on my laptop where I can control a few parameters, fade, pan, volume, EQ, a few basic effects on my mixer. I use an MPC 500 to trigger some sounds and play basslines mostly. On top of that I sing and overdub loops of my vox over everything and mess with that on a line of pedals. It can fall outta sync pretty easily so I need to nail the timing on my loop pedal or continually correct it. It is a far from ideal setup for what I wanna do but it's what I got at the mo. Here's a vid from last year of me using this setup:

damn this is good! :music:

i think an octatrack would work really good for what you do here. check one out if you haven't already.

Thank you! I have seen people use Octatrack a lot and it looks like fun! Seems that you can accomplish a lot on the fly with the just the one device. I have a friend who performs with two Octatracks (Octatri?) at once and I have been meaning to ask him why that is. What would you say the advantages of it are?

in your case i just think you could replace a lot of your gear on stage with just the one box so you can focus your attention better. it can handle sequencing, looping, fx, etc...

the recording & looping can be automated and is actually integrated with the sequencer, so nothing will ever go out of time. you can manually engage & disnegage the recording, or have it done automatically as part of the sequence. for example, you could say 'on step 1 of the sequence, record for 8 steps, stop recording, and playback what you've recorded until the sequence loops around. then it will start recording on step 1 again.

you can play in the most off-time stuff. you can grab any sound really and the octatrack will sample it right on the beat & play it back right on the beat. it's all hands free which would leave you free to mess with the octatracks scenes, crossfader, mute tracks, work with external gear, whatever.

there is definitely a learning curve involved so you will have to put a decent amount of time into learning it & getting muscle memory with it same as any other instrument, but once you get fluent it is very powerful.

2 octatracks just sounds like overkill to me. things would get too complicated i think.

Thank you for the explanation! That sound very intriguing to me and I am going to look into it seriously!

Archived