IGNORED

Jon Hassell - Listening To Pictures

fumi

98787.jpg

In the wake of many contemporary electronic artists and DJs citing the 'Fourth World' concept as influential, Jon Hassell returns forty years since its creation with his first new album in almost a decade to rightly take his place as the sounds originator.

Having started off his musical career studying under Karlheinz Stockhausen and producing his earliest recordings in collaboration with La Monte Young and Terry Riley, fold into that his groundbreaking ambient recordings with Brian Eno, and it goes without saying Jon Hassell is one of the most important artists of his generation. The album's first single Dreaming perfectly sets the tone with his trumpet notes morphing themselves like liquid around the free rotation rhythms, harvesting an equinox of dream theory jazz.

Listening To Pictures (Pentimento Volume One) launches his new imprint Ndeya, a platform set up by Jon to explore the outer reaches of his Fourth World sound and also to act as a vehicle that will venture far beyond its borders.

I'm excited for this. I loved his last one on ECM back in 2008. Jon Hassell always conjure a very peculiar landscape unique to himself. I've been a fan since the late 80s when I first heard the 'Fourth Word Vol 1: Possible Musics' album. I remember vividly zoning out to 'Delta Rain dream' and 'Rising Thermal'.

cheers ears

the Jon Hassell altar is a world unto itself, my old man got me into his gear around the late 80's so similar time-frame, the fact you can seem to forget you're listening to a trumpet was a big hit & Terry Riley & LMY were similar even if the instrumentation & the final destinations were slightly different...you could playlist those three for hours and weave a whole raft of trance (with a small t) worlds

either way, the finest forms of transportation through otherworldly sound, ta for the heads up

cheers ears

the Jon Hassell altar is a world unto itself, my old man got me into his gear around the late 80's so similar time-frame, the fact you can seem to forget you're listening to a trumpet was a big hit & Terry Riley & LMY were similar even if the instrumentation & the final destinations were slightly different...you could playlist those three for hours and weave a whole raft of trance (with a small t) worlds

either way, the finest forms of transportation through otherworldly sound, ta for the heads up

You're welcome. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

cheers ears

You're welcome. 

I have Fourth World Vol.1 and 2. which of his other gear would you recommend? 

• 3 weeks later...

my friend fergus of 12th isle has been championing this guys sounds for the decade ive known him, its really awe-inspiring shit.

here is the latest 12th isle podcast, if you like this album you may well enjoy these podcasts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this album on repeat in the background for many hours by now. up there with the best ambient albums of all time.

Man this album is a straight up masterpiece. I can't get enough of it!  Vol 2 already in the works apparently! :)

I've had this album on repeat in the background for many hours by now. up there with the best ambient albums of all time.

Man this album is a straight up masterpiece. I can't get enough of it! Vol 2 already in the works apparently! :)

Check out the “City: Works of Fiction” reissue w all the remixes. Great set right there.

Archived