IGNORED

Skee Mask - Compro

fumi

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only listened to four or five tracks so far...not getting into it really. Shit sounds great, mixing/mastering/whatever, good sounds and servicable melodies and beats but just not my speed right now I guess? Seems like it's almost going for mainstream-type electronica in ways? I thought he was a bit more fringe or underground or edgy or whatever you wanna call it, some of the tracks of his I'd heard before were pretty dense and a bit of weirdness buried in them. Not bad at all though. Really impressed with the quality of sound in general, just not for me probably. 

Makes sense to me, Ilian Tape in general have a "dad techno" vibe going, and Skee Mask is among the mellowest stuff on there. And of course when you've just spent a month listening to NTS Sessions this is going to sound like elevator music at first. I like a lot of his output though, however ultra-palatable it may get sometimes.

One of the "edgier" (but tongue-firmly-in-cheek) IT releases was last year's Dona/DJ Plant Texture EP, that one's a blast. Year-end list material, but I can't remember ever mentioning it.

wasn't exactly what i was expecting, but it is wonderful.

i see how it could be perceived as going for of a 'mainstream' appeal. it is accessible.

pitchfork just gave it some love, so a lot of people are gonna hear this.

big ups skee mask.

Absolutely beautiful album. Had first listen driving on a sunny day and it was perfect.

He nails the German prism-filtering of UK rave and jungle far better than Shed ever has. 

Early days, but feels like it flows better than Shred too. 

Makes sense to me, Ilian Tape in general have a "dad techno" vibe going, and Skee Mask is among the mellowest stuff on there. And of course when you've just spent a month listening to NTS Sessions this is going to sound like elevator music at first. I like a lot of his output though, however ultra-palatable it may get sometimes.

One of the "edgier" (but tongue-firmly-in-cheek) IT releases was last year's Dona/DJ Plant Texture EP, that one's a blast. Year-end list material, but I can't remember ever mentioning it.

Will check that out.

Illian Tape still sounds a lot harder than a lot of the lo-fi house stuff that's crossing over. Ross From Friends put out an EP on Brainfeeder (Flylo's label) that got a lot of attention but it's a yawner IMO. 

Christ, only a few tracks in and this is one of the best full lengths I've heard all year. Lot of classic IDM vibes on this, really happy it's getting the attention and acclaim. Hopefully it translates to people listening to more classic 90s house and techno who aren't otherwise familiar with it. Hell even the P4k article reference mid-90s cuts in it's BNM review.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived