IGNORED

The Orb - No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds

fumi

dlo did u like COW? I can’t remember. I listened to it once and thought it was nice but completely forgot about it. Prob gonna check it this eve

life would be harder without orbvs terravm.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dlo did u like COW? I can’t remember. I listened to it once and thought it was nice but completely forgot about it.

I must've heard the album 5 or 6 times now and this is still my opinion of it: nice but absolutely nothing is memorable.

dlo did u like COW? I can’t remember. I listened to it once and thought it was nice but completely forgot about it.

I must've heard the album 5 or 6 times now and this is still my opinion of it: nice but absolutely nothing is memorable.

I liked Moonbuilding quite a bit but I remember absolutely nothing about COW.

yeah, gave it a listen last night. it’s pleasant but not much more than that. I’ll def listen to it again though.

dlo did u like COW? I can’t remember. I listened to it once and thought it was nice but completely forgot about it. Prob gonna check it this eve

life would be harder without orbvs terravm.

I kind of like the idea of intentionally making music that is pleasant but super forgettable. maybe they did that. Maybe I’m giving them too much credit.

*listens to plateau*

Live93 is where it's at for me. Remember getting this from my older brother when I was 9 and being completely blown away, I spent many afternoons trying to reach a hypnagogic state while listening to this album. Still trying to get into a lot of the "studio" versions of the live93 tracks almost 24 years later.

After listening to the singles not sure I'll be bothering with this album any time soon, too much other good stuff to check out. 

https://www.echoesanddust.com/2018/06/the-orb-no-sounds-are-out-of-bounds/

https://www.popmatters.com/orb-no-sounds-out-bounds-2580145778.html

A couple of very good reviews.

Finished my first listen - it got better the deeper the album went. I struggled with the first track and some of the vocals on the others. Rush Hill is actually growing on me a bit though. Of course the Fehlmann appearances are very smooth, but even most of the others are very well produced.

Looking at the discogs page it looks like Mike Randell appeared on every track. Never heard of him before - guessing he’s this albums Weston or Hughes.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Orb-No-Sounds-Are-Out-Of-Bounds/release/12168037

After listening to the singles not sure I'll be bothering with this album any time soon, too much other good stuff to check out. 

They're by far the worst tracks. It's worth giving a listen before deciding.

Wasn't very impressed on my first listen, was ready to buy after reading comments on here before but think I need to give it a few more listens first

'No Sound...' is all quite pleasant, bright fun summer vibes, I expect to hear it all over various advertising campaigns very soon too…

COW was a real treat, it is so slight it is barely there, can play it on a loop for hours, nice.

OK, that was the instrumental album I was listening to, the proper album is crammed packed full of additional 'hilarities' from the Doctors sample bag of trix... plus I like the songs, nice Orb.

still havent checked this out but I’ve been playing COW more regularly and it’s a really good album to just put on and have it just create an atmosphere which you can dip in and out of while doing other things. very pleasant

I'm struggling to fully get my head around this album still - loads of the tracks seem to start and then just go nowhere. A track like 'Isle of Horns' has a nice beat, nice bassline, some nice textures - and then that's it, it doesn't do much with it other than overlay a few samples for seven minutes. The same kind of formula worked on the first three albums though, and I think a lot of that was through the rawness and atmosphere. Everything on NSAOOB is really clean and polished, which in this case doesn't work quite so well I don't think - the music needs more space to breathe. It's obvious Alex was aiming for Adventures, but I still think it landed a bit too close to Bicycles & Tricycles in the end.

But yes, the second half of the album is much stronger. The last five tracks, the last two in particular, are pretty strong, and if the whole album was like those then it'd be a winner. As it is, it feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, especially as a lot of people have been wanting another big-cast-of-collaborators album after a long run of LX/Fehlmann or LX/Youth albums. 

Rather worrying sentence in the announcement for Fehlmann's new album on Resident Advisor

Today's announcement says he's winding down his role in The Orb; the album was apparently put together "in the twilight of his collaboration with Alex Paterson."

Archived