IGNORED

Rival Consoles - Persona

joshuatxuk

cover.jpg

Out tomorrow on Erased Tapes

Really digging this guy, dug Howl and all of the EPs that followed. Fits the same niche as Jon Hopkins, Daniel Avery, Floating Points and 00s era Border Community stuff for me...i.e. not overly experimental or leftfield but too discerning to be mainstream. 

Yeah, it's nice. An amalgamation of trendy sounding stuff, but I'd be hard pressed to name the artist if I didn't know it was Rival Consoles. It's not bad or anything, it's just a bit bland?

It's not bad or anything, it's just a bit bland?

The criticism of blandness is fair. At times, it's soy boy techno perfectly sanded off for NPR and BBC bumpers. No bite or verve. However, he really hits on some magic for me on the whole.

yeah this - hopkins, floating points, and daniel avery hit the same niche. it's very clean and almost too well crafted, but as I said earlier but sometimes it just hits me in the feels. otherwise it's stuff that makes for worthwhile background music - worth checking out but often not in my shortlist of yearly favs

this track from last year has the same effect - all of his stuff is great, not a fav album or anything, but this one track just fucking pulled me in for some reason

guys I listen to stuff other than this, in fact Rival Console and his peers are a bit out of my usual zone

do I need to start a Rephlex deep cuts thread or something oh wait

• 2 weeks later...

Archived